Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 10-30-2022, 03:49 PM   #31
Atlantisatdawn
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Why would the edition size matter? Unless your trying to collect statues for investments, which is dumb beyond dumb, sideshow could say a statue has a 2000 edition size and only make 200 if it doesn't sell. These pieces look cool, but no better than the COTD pieces to me
Atlantisatdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 04:34 PM   #32
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantisatdawn View Post
Why would the edition size matter? Unless your trying to collect statues for investments, which is dumb beyond dumb, sideshow could say a statue has a 2000 edition size and only make 200 if it doesn't sell. These pieces look cool, but no better than the COTD pieces to me
Well, that's certainly one perspective. In my opinion, these statues will likely not be any more desirable in the future than they are now....so I agree with you, as an "investment" - I don't see much potential.

My focus on ES, was more to do with the intent of XM and Keos to make these available to a potentially small interest group. I think with this ES they're being realistic about the size of the customer base (unlike Sideshow was with their COtD) - if these sell out, they'll be more inclined to do more - which means the interested group will get the full range they were promised.

When Sideshow didn't sell out their HUGE ES in a quick time - it seems they threw their toys out the pram and gave up. Which left a lot of interested collectors high and dry.....I'm hoping that, with this ES and pricing strategy, XM has pitched it just right for it to make sense to continue
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 04:45 PM   #33
Atlantisatdawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Well, that's certainly one perspective. In my opinion, these statues will likely not be any more desirable in the future than they are now....so I agree with you, as an "investment" - I don't see much potential.

My focus on ES, was more to do with the intent of XM and Keos to make these available to a potentially small interest group. I think with this ES they're being realistic about the size of the customer base (unlike Sideshow was with their COtD) - if these sell out, they'll be more inclined to do more - which means the interested group will get the full range they were promised.

When Sideshow didn't sell out their HUGE ES in a quick time - it seems they threw their toys out the pram and gave up. Which left a lot of interested collectors high and dry.....I'm hoping that, with this ES and pricing strategy, XM has pitched it just right for it to make sense to continue
Well I see what your saying, I can't argue with your points, honesty is important to collectors and that does seem like a better strategy definitely, I hope these do well, I cant afford all 4, but the one I really like is Death
Old 10-30-2022, 06:54 PM   #34
spidermonkey
Mephisto

I can't really understand how edition sizes don't matter to collectors. Buying statues as investment is a bad idea however having them retain most of their value is always nice. Even if you never have any intention of selling a piece another one will come out that will impress you more. In addition to that when you're in the game for a good amount of time you will run out of space. There are several other reasons but no one will change anyone's mind lol.

This piece is awesome. And I wish I had the space for it. This is my favorite out of the four.
spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 08:11 PM   #35
Atlantisatdawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermonkey View Post
I can't really understand how edition sizes don't matter to collectors. Buying statues as investment is a bad idea however having them retain most of their value is always nice. Even if you never have any intention of selling a piece another one will come out that will impress you more. In addition to that when you're in the game for a good amount of time you will run out of space. There are several other reasons but no one will change anyone's mind lol.

This piece is awesome. And I wish I had the space for it. This is my favorite out of the four.
I get what your saying, it's not like I want my statues to lose value, but I never buy anything based off of that, because if I did I'd never buy the crazy stuff I buy, it's no fun thinking of stuff that way for me, I definitely have sold a couple of pieces due to space, and lost some money on them, but I enjoyed them for a few years and still made some money back, I gotta be honest, these pieces look great, but at this price you better buy them out of love, because even if they only made 10 each, I dont envision a $2000+ dollar statue being easy to resale and not take a hit financially
Old 10-31-2022, 11:01 PM   #36
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantisatdawn View Post
While I agree with most of what your saying, as far as the COTD they seemed to have a good following going, statues like Malavestros, Relic Ravlatch etc... sold out as fast as some big 3 pieces I've watched, but for some reason they decided after 3 or 4 years they had created Spiderman or Batman and started making anything and everything besides statues, they should have kept focus on what collectors wanted, those pieces were not really expensive compared to these 4 horseman pieces, which will be hard sells at roughly 2000 a piece
I have to say, SSC does have a following for their COTD line. They did well in selling the story and creating a fan base. But I wonder if they weren't getting the ROI they were expecting. Perhaps the fan base didn't get as big as they wanted.

I feel like XM might have a harder time with their own IP.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 11:06 PM   #37
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
In this case, XM are doing it right. Obviously, based on the prototype - they're doing a high quality piece, with low ES. They're not flooding the market like Sideshow did with their super high ES, and that makes a big difference.

These statues aren't intended to be mass sellers - they're for people looking for something unique. Based on that they could be very successful.
We shall see. I do wish them luck.

I just feel like XM will have a harder time because of the higher price ...even with a low ES. Just my opinion.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 11:21 PM   #38
pau123
Sailor Moon

Cool concept. But have no connection or idea what the story is behind this line.
pau123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 12:41 PM   #39
Halcyon
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_808 View Post
We shall see. I do wish them luck.

I just feel like XM will have a harder time because of the higher price ...even with a low ES. Just my opinion.

Indeed. I was ready to PO at least two out of four, bcs my guess was around the price of the new Venom.
But now that they decided to put 'War' for PO first (and this higher price will prob stick to the smaller ones, Pestilence and Famine which i like both better). I probably will skip this all together. And i am a big fan of these kind of characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pau123 View Post
Cool concept. But have no connection or idea what the story is behind this line.
Adding some on the fly story is just marketing to crank up the price a bit further.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 12:33 AM   #40
Thor57
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_808 View Post
I have to say, SSC does have a following for their COTD line. They did well in selling the story and creating a fan base. But I wonder if they weren't getting the ROI they were expecting. Perhaps the fan base didn't get as big as they wanted.

I feel like XM might have a harder time with their own IP.
I think they created a small but pretty cool fanbase. But the they overshot maybe. Other than a few pieces, they sold out pretty quickly. But then SS started deviating and making board games, dolls, apples, sixth scale figures, and their latter few pieces, for my tastes, weren't very good. Ellianastis and Stryfe are huge misses imo. Stryfe is still for sale, a year later. Same for Poxxil and Shieve.

I think their creative direction just faltered. They are releasing non premium formats, as well as recolors of older pieces, when their lore book has a ton of unreleased characters they could tap into.
Thor57 is offline   Reply With Quote