Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 11-02-2022, 04:11 PM   #41
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor57 View Post
I think they created a small but pretty cool fanbase. But the they overshot maybe. Other than a few pieces, they sold out pretty quickly. But then SS started deviating and making board games, dolls, apples, sixth scale figures, and their latter few pieces, for my tastes, weren't very good. Ellianastis and Stryfe are huge misses imo. Stryfe is still for sale, a year later. Same for Poxxil and Shieve.

I think their creative direction just faltered. They are releasing non premium formats, as well as recolors of older pieces, when their lore book has a ton of unreleased characters they could tap into.

It's really hard to tell. It's kinda like ...what comes first, the chicken or the egg? ...type scenario.

Was it because they weren't getting the ROI they were expecting so they started faltering on their COTD PF releases? Or was it because they started faltering on their COTD PF releases that their ROI wasn't what they expected?

I feel like if they were getting the ROI they were expecting, then they would've maintained their strong run. That's why I'm thinking they didn't get the ROI they were expecting to begin with.

In any case, it's an interesting subject. But I guess this thread is not the place to discuss that. My only hope ....is perhaps XM can learn from SSC with their own IP since it's similar.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 09:39 AM   #42
SONICobra
Batman

man i wish i had room for this one i think its freaking awesome
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 09:50 PM   #43
Thor57
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
man i wish i had room for this one i think its freaking awesome
I?d be all in if they were more classic fantasy. More Forgotten Realms and less Eberron, to put in a DnD context.
Thor57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 10:08 AM   #44
Lestat Phoenix
Birdman

Just PO mine. These are absolutely amazing. 200 ES is interesting.
Lestat Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 08:33 AM   #45
Artie Lange
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_808 View Post
This hobby of buying collectibles is predicated on characters that we've read about or watched on TV for years.
So compare it to Death Dealer then, not just because it feels like a modern / futuristic interpretation, but because there is no book or TV or movies. Granted, Death Dealer was painted in 1973 by a legend, but the 1/4 scale statues came over 30 years later and sold well at comparable pricing as this. And if we're comparing statues, this wins easy.

Artie Lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 09:48 PM   #46
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie Lange View Post
So compare it to Death Dealer then, not just because it feels like a modern / futuristic interpretation, but because there is no book or TV or movies. Granted, Death Dealer was painted in 1973 by a legend, but the 1/4 scale statues came over 30 years later and sold well at comparable pricing as this. And if we're comparing statues, this wins easy.

See even that. The art style of Frank Frazetta and his artwork have been around for awhile. Anyone who have bought a comic or graphic novel. Anyone who have been in a comic shop or a record store. They would have seen at least one of his artwork. Even if they didn't know his name, many would still have seen Frazetta's artwork. Death Dealer especially, I think.

So then, 30 years later, a 3D version of Death Dealer comes out. And it looks like Frazetta's artwork ...of course that statue is going to sell well. It already has history behind it.

This Neo-Apocalypse line is brand new and has no history, so it really doesn't have much of a following. There's really nothing to compel someone to pay the exuberant price for this. Unless they feel it's a really exceptional piece.
Old 11-23-2022, 02:46 AM   #47
Artie Lange
Frackin!

Quote:
of course that statue is going to sell well. It already has history behind it.
And the reason it exists today to even have a history is because it had, and has, appeal in the art and design. That's also why it sells well.

This is same appeal 'War' has, without the history or heritage, just like Death Dealer in 1973.
Old 11-23-2022, 04:19 AM   #48
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
And the reason it exists today to even have a history is because it had, and has, appeal in the art and design. That's also why it sells well.

This is same appeal 'War' has, without the history or heritage, just like Death Dealer in 1973.

No, it doesn't. 'War' does not have the same appeal as Death Dealer. You can't ignore the history and nostalgia of Death Dealer. That's a huge part of it's appeal. Not only is it great art, but it connects with people.

You can't look at Death Dealer and pretend it's 1973 when the art first came out and say "War has the same appeal as Death Dealer. If the Death Dealer statue can be sold for so much and sold well, then I can do the same for 'War'".

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. You want 'War' to have the same appeal as Death Dealer? Provide affordable access to the character that is 'War'. Allow people time to appreciate it. Allow people to connect with it like how Frazetta did with his artwork.
Old 11-23-2022, 04:43 AM   #49
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:

And another thing. If I didn't know who Frank Frazetta was, if I have never seen any of his artwork, if I didn't know who the Death Dealer was and I saw a 1/4 scale Death Dealer statue with a $1000.00 price tag. I wouldn't buy it ...even if it was a nice piece of art.

Why? Because i wouldn't spend $1000.00 on a statue of a character I don't know and have no connection to. It wouldn't be worth it. That's why I'm not buying 'War'.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:25 AM   #50
Artie Lange
Frackin!

Quote:
You can't look at Death Dealer and pretend it's 1973 when the art first came out and say "War has the same appeal as Death Dealer.
It's the same kind of appeal, meaning as a badass image. I never said same level of appeal, because that remains to be seen.

Quote:
I'm not buying 'War'.
I'll let XM Studios know.

I'm tempted because of it's visual appeal. I'm even more tempted because of what I mentioned before, how it works as a modern interpretation of Death Dealer 1 and I'd want to display them together. If Quarantine makes a 1/4 scale DD1 I may have to get both. If not, I still may get War just because of how it appeals to my eye, just like DD1 did before it.