Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 01-10-2015, 10:10 PM   #31
samhain88
U talkin' to me?

That's a pretty good idea. Unfortunately it's too late for me to do that. I just don't understand why he owes people a commission from a year and one month ago and he accepted payment from me and other people months later, and still nothing. That's bullcrap. Seems very greedy. He needs to start issuing refunds NOW or take a few days and get them done. I have heard from 2 more people waiting for a commission from him and they paid before I did. I am not very hopeful to say the least.
samhain88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:33 PM   #32
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhain88 View Post
That's a pretty good idea. Unfortunately it's too late for me to do that. I just don't understand why he owes people a commission from a year and one month ago and he accepted payment from me and other people months later, and still nothing. That's bullcrap. Seems very greedy. He needs to start issuing refunds NOW or take a few days and get them done. I have heard from 2 more people waiting for a commission from him and they paid before I did. I am not very hopeful to say the least.
I agree - he should bring resolution to this situation and, in all fairness, offer refunds for people waiting so long. To wait that long when the original expectation was a short turnaround is terrible business. This is a relatively small community and this type of thing hurts your reputation pretty quickly. Most of us have a bad experience at some point - this hobby is a learning process so I hope you get your art or refund from Ethan and aren't soured on getting more artwork. He was VERY high on my want list several years ago before he burned a couple fellow collectors - hearing what he put them through and caused me to stay away. I hope you stick around and would suggest posting a thread for any future commissions if you have any questions - lots of experience around here

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:31 AM   #33
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

good luck dude. I had something similar happen to me with Jamie Biggs a while ago.

I paid half upfront, long wait, then it was different iterations of your piece is done to its next on the que. All the while he kept taking on more commissions, did more pieces for Ebay, and mine was nowhere to be seen.

After about a year and a half of nonsense, he finally paid me my down payment back which was to me the best outcome.

Its been my worst commission experience to date, due to all of the back and forth lies and headaches that came along with it (and this coming from someone that was taken by Jason Craig).

With Van Sciver I've attempted to pick up a piece from a friend at several cons. I think he tells him that the piece will be ready at the show and when I show up and ask for it, "he's always like yea yeah, the piece for your buddy - come back the next day". Always show up and both times its never done or even started.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:20 PM   #34
Mfinn123
Hydra

I know someone who filed criminal fraud complaint against an artist and lo and behold the commission appeared within 24 hours.....
Mfinn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:49 PM   #35
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfinn123 View Post
I know someone who filed criminal fraud complaint against an artist and lo and behold the commission appeared within 24 hours.....
I would love to see this sort of dispute on Judge Judy
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:51 PM   #36
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiz View Post
If you fund PayPal with a credit card instead of a debit card, you then have the credit card's fraud protection above and beyond PayPal's.

Van Sciver is repped by Spencer Beck, though, so if the commission was done through him, than PayPal wasn't an option because he doesn't accept it, precisely to avoid PayPal's Buyer Protection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
That is pure and unsupported speculation re Spencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiz View Post
Why do you not accept Credit Cards/Paypal?

Possibly my most frequently asked question, and the answer is that the Credit Card companies do not have a method (nor do most of their customers want one) to waive the Buyer Protection Policy for Fine Arts or 1 of a Kind Items. While the purpose of this Policy on Credit Cards is to guarantee a replacement for a faulty item, no such replacement exists on Comic Book Original Artwork, so as a term of accepting Credit Cards, the business owner agrees to provide a full refund at any time, up to 1 year from Date of Purchase on some types of cards, if they cannot provide an exact replacement. Due to this restriction, for me to accept Credit Cards I would have to withhold payment from the artist until the buyer protection policy time limit has passed, which is not fair to the artist. I refuse to do this to the Artists I represent, so until Credit Card Companies create a Legally Upheld Waiver that may be used by their customers, I cannot accept Credit Cards. Paypal's user Protection Policy works in the same manner. This is especially true of International Orders, where US laws do not apply and there is no cost-effective mechanism in place to prosecute Credit Card Fraud Charges Internationally.

I wasn't trying to disparage him; far from it, I've worked with him and he's been terrific, but it's right there in black and white.
Okay. I see what you were saying. Thanks for clarifying. It originally came off to me as Spencer was in cahoots with the artists and was using that policy to assist with not providing art.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:53 PM   #37
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
EVS seems like one of those guys who takes money and doesn't deliver -- I had -- as I said -- big problems with him. Now, I do a chargeback on day 44 via paypal...I offer to repay but I make clear that every 44 days I will file with Paypal...gotta protect yourself
I really like that idea. So you pay,get the chargeback and then pay again over and over? Good way to protect the bottom line.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #38
Mfinn123
Hydra

[QUOTE=Underdog07;4966753]I really like that idea. So you pay,get the chargeback and then pay again over and over? Good way to protect the bottom line.[/QUOTE

Yes, and I tell the artist upfront that is how I do things...that way I am always protected.....if they won't agree, I move on -- I am just not paying large sums of money with no way to get the money back..
Mfinn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:21 PM   #39
samhain88
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Not a bad idea. I feel like he's taking advantage of a lot of his fans, every single person should be refunded the money they paid him until he has the time to actually deliver what has been paid for.
samhain88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:23 PM   #40
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Quote:
EVS seems like one of those guys who takes money and doesn't deliver -- I had -- as I said -- big problems with him. Now, I do a chargeback on day 44 via paypal...I offer to repay but I make clear that every 44 days I will file with Paypal...gotta protect yourself
I also like this rolling 44 day idea.

Couple questions:

-how do you keep track of when you paid? Simple outlook calendar?

- do you get full refund including paypal fees back in these scenarios?
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote