Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 04-06-2023, 11:00 PM   #11
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
Yeah, if you have ever been in a bakery and saw a tray of cookies or a cake on it with a glass dome over it that is a cloche

I think having some like that for statues would be great
This is the largest I've been able to find. A little to small for most 1/4s. Probably more height than you would want for most 1/6 and HT figures

https://glassvasesdepot.com/20-decor...with-wood-base
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 11:58 PM   #12
SDguy

I have a friend who makes large acrylic items for aquariums. He's a pro with acrylic work, and can easily make cases like these. He did this one for me. Obviously a big problem with these is the shipping cost of a big, assembled, "empty" box

https://melevsreef.com/reefshop/acry...ms/trophy-case

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	339980310_174785992063417_5732327786141327582_n.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	160771  
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 12:31 AM   #13
pdenham
Teen Titans

^ That looks great!

If someone did want to DIY one of these himself

1) make sure the place you are buying the individual panels from polishes the edges. That involves blasting them with a propane torch (not sanding). Unless you are comfortable doing that as well (or possibly screwing up a few sheets as practice).
2) I would build a large jig first to make sure all the corners come out square. Simple concept, but getting that correct will be your first "project" with this, because you need to make sure you are getting a perfect 90 degree angle.
If that is off, even just slightly, the corners won't be true and multiplying that times four (or eight with the top) will make it noticeable.

With the case I'm designing right now, for a 1:1 bust, I'm trying to work around having a square edge- at least on the side that is the primary viewing angle.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 12:32 AM   #14
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Yeah, that's the other avenue I went down with Alibaba Chinese manufacturers - acrylic aquariums. They were usually more expensive than plinths due to the average thickness they used, but they probably could have done the size I wanted.

I suppose the most cost effective way to buy this stuff would be to order 4-5 that are just slightly smaller than the last, to nest inside each other for shipping.

Looks good, SD.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 03:27 PM   #15
Halcyon
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
It sounds like you want a cloche for a statue
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
This is the largest I've been able to find. A little to small for most 1/4s. Probably more height than you would want for most 1/6 and HT figures
For average 1/4 statues you need the largest ones. In real glass those are 11.5 to 12inch diameter and 23.5 inch high (30x60cm).

Now the largest cloche (mostly polycarbonate) are 15.5inch diameter and 27.5inch high (40x70cm).

You have to look in the 'homedecoration' shops. around $200 for glass 30x60cm and $300 for the poly 40x70cm
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 05:25 PM   #16
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
For average 1/4 statues you need the largest ones. In real glass those are 11.5 to 12inch diameter and 23.5 inch high (30x60cm).

Now the largest cloche (mostly polycarbonate) are 15.5inch diameter and 27.5inch high (40x70cm).

You have to look in the 'homedecoration' shops. around $200 for glass 30x60cm and $300 for the poly 40x70cm
I've looked and haven't found anything quite so large AND quite so inexpensive. Do you have any specific links you could share?
Old 04-11-2023, 04:36 AM   #17
Halcyon
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
I've looked and haven't found anything quite so large AND quite so inexpensive. Do you have any specific links you could share?
Few years ago I bought two of these large 11.5inch ones, they have one left i see, but only sell locally. But you have to be lucky finding a store who has a few, bcs mostly they have one batch in stock and when it is gone you have to find other supplier.

Sometimes the shared links to American stores i can't open either (don't know if these show up).

https://www.hillaryshome.nl/webshop/...lateau-xxl-29/

This store has a few 10 x 23.5inch and only $74
https://westerndeco.nl/?product=stolp-xxl-26-x-60cm

Amazon (europe) has one seller atm with size 9.5 x 23.5 inch for only $90 but is just too tight for 1/4. You have to find 11.5 inch versions.

https://www.amazon.nl/HAES-DECO-Deco.../dp/B091MYPPQR

Edit: Just found this Italian seller who claims to have all sizes up to 15.5 x 31.5inch (selling worldwide). Those won't be cheap
https://www.artegrecosud.eu/home

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stolp30x60_20230411.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	338.1 KB
ID:	160843  
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 11:36 AM   #18
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicornPegasus View Post
Hello All,

I have one 1/4 Sideshow piece now, and I have my lovely Ahsoka just sitting on top of an Ikea Rudsta in my office at present. I would like to give it a little more protection, so I was thinking about an acrylic "box" to sit over it, or even a large U shaped acrylic riser, but I'm having trouble finding one large enough, that doesn't cost an internal organ's amount of money too.

Does anyone have a good resource for one of these?

I've looked at football and sports memorabilia "cases" but none of them have been large enough to fit the SS Ahsoka I have (she's got a huge footprint.)

I even started looking at clear acrylic "benches" and stools to see if I could use one to accommodate her, but I've struck out there too.

It doesn't need to have a back or bottom, I just want side and "roof" protection in case a picture fell off the wall above her, or someone reached for the light switch near her and were to hit a lightsaber. Just a bit more insurance against damage.

I don't think the Rudsta would take a moducase module on top, and I'm looking for something that would be clear on most, if not all sides, which they have black sides as far as I can determine.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've searched through all the prior display threads, and every idea I can think of online, and just haven't found one that will fit her yet. Thank you!
I learned to make my own. Started with custom acrylic stands. Found a local place that cuts pieces to size. ?Glueing? them together is pretty easy. You use a special liquid chemical that bonds the pieces together. Holding larger pieces together is more of a challenge. Best to use clamps but you only need to have them held together for about 30 seconds to a minute as it bonds quick.
Old 04-11-2023, 11:42 AM   #19
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

There are also a lot of videos on working with acrylics on YouTube.
Old 04-11-2023, 02:52 PM   #20
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Thanks Halcyon! Yeah, I can view the links.