Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-30-2019, 01:35 AM   #25791
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Parasite 10/10 (Korean language, English subtitled)

Very intriguing film. I didn’t check any reviews beyond hearing general buzz from film festivals. Drama and a bit of a dark comedy about the haves and have-nots. Well written, directed, acted and edited. In very limited release and I am glad that was able to catch a showing.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:47 AM   #25792
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Halloween horror fest movies #35-37!

John Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy

The Thing - its been so long since I saw this movie, and I dont think I really appreciated it fully back then because I didnt remember it all too well, but WOW, after watching it again let me tell you this movie lives up to the hype! Creepy, unsettling, atmospheric, all that wrapped around an amazing setting and soundtrack...and kurt russell really knocked it out of the park (I can see why John cast him in so many of his movies) I was going to give this movie a 9.5, but I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I watched it, and I can only say that about a handful of movies, so im going with the full 10/10! I liked it so much I ordered the bluray today (only had it on dvd before)

has anyone seen the semi-recent prequel with the same name, if so is it worth a watch? the bluray I got includes the prequel too so im hoping its good
Most people hated the prequel but The Thing is my personal all time favorite movie and it isn't close and I kind of liked the prequel. Having seen the Thing so many times it was easy for me to remember the scene when they arrive at the trashed Norwegian site and to see all of the props (ax in the wall for example) exactly as they found it with explanation how it got there was kind of cool.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:07 AM   #25793
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
Most people hated the prequel but The Thing is my personal all time favorite movie and it isn't close and I kind of liked the prequel. Having seen the Thing so many times it was easy for me to remember the scene when they arrive at the trashed Norwegian site and to see all of the props (ax in the wall for example) exactly as they found it with explanation how it got there was kind of cool.
Agreed! I liked the prequel too. All the effort that went into the little details weren’t lost on me either and I enjoyed how it tied into Carpenter’s film. Worth a look if you can take it for what it is without comparing it to it’s counterpart.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:13 AM   #25794
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Agreed! I liked the prequel too. All the effort that went into the little details weren’t lost on me either and I enjoyed how it tied into Carpenter’s film. Worth a look if you can take it for what it is without comparing it to it’s counterpart.
sounds good to me, seems like they at least had respect for the original, which is something I always appreciate. I'll give it a go when it arrives in the mail, its included in the set anyway lol ill watch the prequel and then the original again, and ill keep my eyes open for these little details you guys mentioned!
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:30 AM   #25795
Mister H
Gen 13

Ghostbusters 8/10
Ghostbusters 2 7/10
Ghostbusters (most recent) 1.5/10

First one was epic, second one was pretty good, last one was unwatchable.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:28 PM   #25796
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Joker - 6/10

More or less what I expected. Less a film about the Joker, more a film about mental illness and the ugly side of society. My problem with this film is not once did I feel like I was actually watching the character of the Joker. I get that his transformation doesn’t really occur until the climax but even then it simply felt like Joaquin Phoenix acting (kinda) like the Joker. Don’t get me wrong he’s an accomplished actor who I’ve always enjoyed but to me it’s not an award winning performance either. The fascination with anointing every actor who delves into a role of a mentally ill or handicapped person is lost on me. The film moves at a painfully slow pace, tries WAY too hard to be disturbing and to me isn’t anywhere near as smart as it thinks it is.

Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:51 PM   #25797
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Joker - 6/10

More or less what I expected. Less a film about the Joker, more a film about mental illness and the ugly side of society. My problem with this film is not once did I feel like I was actually watching the character of the Joker. I get that his transformation doesn’t really occur until the climax but even then it simply felt like Joaquin Phoenix acting (kinda) like the Joker. Don’t get me wrong he’s an accomplished actor who I’ve always enjoyed but to me it’s not an award winning performance either. The fascination with anointing every actor who delves into a role of a mentally ill or handicapped person is lost on me. The film moves at a painfully slow pace, tries WAY too hard to be disturbing and to me isn’t anywhere near as smart as it thinks it is.

Haven't seen it, but this is exactly what I was expecting. In no hurry to see this one.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:15 PM   #25798
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Possession (1981) - A woman starts exhibiting increasingly disturbing behavior after asking her husband for a divorce. Suspicions of infidelity soon give way to something much more sinister.

I saw this for the first time at a local screening and was thoroughly perplexed. The acting was hyper-melodramatic and a few scenes were total bonkers. Reading about the movie afterward makes the plot sound a lot more coherent than what I experienced initially so knowing this film is very highly regarded, I'll give it another try soon. 5/10
ParisDean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:08 PM   #25799
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Ghostbusters 8/10
Ghostbusters 2 7/10
Ghostbusters (most recent) 1.5/10

First one was epic, second one was pretty good, last one was unwatchable.
thats why I only put #1 and #2 on the list lol
Old 10-30-2019, 05:09 PM   #25800
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Joker - 6/10

I saw this movie a week ago, and i've been having a hard time putting my thoughts into words, but you nailed it, what you said is exactly what I felt about the movie, and I was even going to rate it 6/10

I figured this movie would appeal moreso to non-comic book fans because of the realism, but even my sister who I saw it with did not like it, all I can say is overrated and overhyped