Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 09-14-2006, 09:58 AM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

wktf's and Sam Wilson's Reviews 9-14-06

Sam Wilson’s Reviews

Another super-slow week this week, the only books on my radar are Captain America, The Hulk, Wolverine: Origins, and Ultimate X-men. A hidden gem though is the DC/Vertigo Comics HC OGN Pride of Baghdad, by Brian K. Vaughn, a different look at the second Iraq War, seen from the view of some lions who escaped from the Iraq Zoo during a 2003 bombing raid. I’ll be reviewing this book next week in the tpb section since it is too long to get read this week, but I’ll make it my pick of the week anyway. With that being said, on to the reviews…

Wolverine: Origins #5
Marvel Comics
Written by: Daniel Way
Drawn by: Steve Dillon

For those of you who haven’t been keeping up with “Wolverine: Origins” I’ll give a quick recap. At the end of the “House of M” fiasco Wolverine, who is the best at what he does and what he does ain’t pretty, was granted access to his memories. All of them. Yup. Most of them are nasty and are the types of things no one wants to come to light. SHIELD is alerted and so it begins. Wolverine decides he is going to use his newfound knowledge to exact bloody revenge on all those who have ever wronged him, so he whups Silver Samurai’s ass and takes his Muramasa Blade (a katanna that has a bloodlust and is said to be able to contain evil spirits) and embarks on a quest. First up, he has some words with the Secretary of State, then he visits a guy named Nuke (who we last saw in the now classic Daredevil storyline “Born Again”). It turns out Wolverine more or less helped create Nuke, and after setting that little flub straight he mixes it up with Captain America and a few of the X-men. Wolverine almost goes berserk on all of them, but Emma Frost stops him and drops a huge bombshell on ol’ Logan. He has a son. In a moment of clarity Logan hands over his Muramasa Blade to Cyclops, requesting that if he goes to far in his current revenge bender that Cyclops end it with the sword, the only thing that can permanently put Wolverine down. This leads us to the current issue and a new storyline, issue #7…

Wolverine has hopped a freighter in search of his son, but the cut he received from the Muramasa blade isn’t healing as it should. He remembers there is a mineral that has helped him before his healing factor was on the fritz, but it isn’t synthesized naturally. Wolverine needs to pay a visit to one of his old buddies from Team X (see Wolverine, the first ongoing series, issue #50), Maverick to get his hands on this mineral so he can resume his quest. He tracks Maverick to Queens, and runs into an old friend along the way, an old friend and an old enemy (Omega Red). Oh yeah, issue eight is going to be sweet…

Wolverine: Origins is an excellent series, it’s everything I wanted the “Origin” series by Paul Jenkins to be. You won’t be disappointed if you give this book a try.

Ms. Marvel #7
Marvel Comics
Written by: Brian Reed
Drawn by: Robert De La Torre

Carol Danvers has gone through a lot of rough times in the Marvel U. She started out as an Air Force Pilot, and then a CIA agent having served with both Nick Fury and Wolverine. She was also the Lover of the original Captain Marvel, and through her association with him her DNA was altered so she was more “Kree-like” and became Ms. Marvel. She eventually joined up with the Avengers and became a strong hero in her own right. This all came crashing down during a fight with the Rogue, who was a member of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants at the time. During the battle Rogue’s power went a little haywire and she ended up permanently absorbing Carol’s psyche and her powers. Carol was restored to herself with the aid of Professor X, but was powerless. She regained superpowers while under capture of the Brood and became immensely powerful at one point, but eventually powered down to a point where she had similar powers as she first had as Ms. Marvel, but at a higher power level. Stronger than ever before, Carol had her ups and downs, a battle with alcoholism during her time with the post-Hero Returns Avengers had her on her own for a bit, but now she is back with the New Avengers stronger than ever, and more sure of herself than she’s ever been.

Recently in “Ms. Marvel”, Carol has chosen sides in Marvel’s “Civil War” event, and is with Tony Stark and the pro-registration crowd (no shock looking back at her military background). She has been hunting rogue heroes, and with the help of Wonder Man and Arachnae (Julia Carpenter Spiderwoman) she is on the hunt for a potential unregistered hero Arana. Unfortunately Carol found out Arachnae was secretly working for the other side, Arana turns out to be a teenager, and this leads us to the current issue (#7). Julia is in full flight with the Shroud, stealing a car and making a break for the Canadian border, but making a huge detour to Colorado to pick up Julia’s daughter. Meanwhile, Wonder Man and Carol brief Arana and her father on what life will be like as a registered super hero. All is going fine until SHIELD gets a bead on Arachnae and Shroud, and then it’s on. A brutal freeway battle ensues which doesn’t end to well for everyone…

When this book first started out I wasn’t a huge fan. I didn’t care for the art and the whole Brood storyline was mediocre at best, but since Ms. Marvel stepped full into the Civil War and the pencils got a lot tighter, I gotta admit I’m really enjoying this book. I’ve always been a huge fan of Carol Danvers, and it’s great to see her finally getting her due. Definitely pick this book up.

Wktf’s Reviews

Another really light week for me as well. I echo my writing partner’s sentiments on Pride of Baghdad. The New York Times ran an article about Brian K. Vaughan in their Sunday Arts section a few weeks back and since that time I’ve been looking forward to this book’s release. I’m also planning to review it next week so, we’ll see, maybe we’ll do another joint review. This week also marked Bowen Designs’ most excellent Destroyer bust (the more Asgardians the better, say I), plus a couple of comics that are in my must-read list

Captain America #21
Marvel Comics
Written by: Ed Brubaker
Drawn by: Steve Epting

Captain America and Bucky fighting side by side for the first time, flashbacks and retro stories aside, in more than 60 years? Oh, yeah! Hell, yeah! This book most definitely is my pick of the week. And that retro-revisionist cover take on a classic panel from Avengers #4 I’m sure put a smile on every lover of Captain America lore!

This issue concludes the “Twenty-First Century Blitz” arc that’s just got to have made every Invaders fan out there happy. The Red Skull is back. Master Man has been recreated. Captain America is teaming up with both Union Jack and Spitfire. And, for you Stan and Jack Tales of Suspense fans out there, last issue saw the resurrection of one of the Red Skull’s famous Sleeper robots! This issue starts out with massive levels of destruction right in the heart of London and just heats up from there. Having no plan in mind, Captain America barks orders to Sharon as he leaps off a building with only one thought in mind: take this thing down! But the reason Cap’s even in London is that he’s been trying to find Bucky (see the prior Winter Soldier story arcs, it’s too complicated to explain other than to say that Bucky’s alive and his resurgence is one of the most fantastic comic book stories of the last 20 years), Bucky’s been tracking General Lukin whose mind, unbeknownst to all, is co-inhabited by the Skull, and his efforts have led him to the same place as Cap.

So, Cap and Bucky together mix it up to take down the Sleeper, conveniently not wasting time on chatter while in a crisis, Spitfire and Jack dupe the thickheaded Master Man into helping the cause, and Agent Carter must fend for herself again Crossbones and Sin. It’s pretty much an all-action issue that Epting renders as wonderfully as ever and whose plot line, interesting, moves the next issue into the Civil War conflict (about time, too, considering Cap’s status in this event). Plus we even get a new layer of intrigue with Bucky involving none other than Nick Fury! This issue’s got it all. If you’re not reading this book by now, frankly, you may be beyond help.

Incredible Hulk #98
Marvel Comics
Written by: Greg Pak
Drawn by: Aaron Lopresti

Countdown to next summer’s Marvel event, “World War Hulk,” has officially begun! Yep, the trade press is buzzing about it but, in the mean time, The Hulk’s still on the planet Sakaar and he’s gunning for that planet’s despotic emperor. Having been kidnapped by The Illuminati and sent, by mistake, to Sakaar, enslaved on the planet, and having battled his way to freedom, all he wants is to bust heads and take names. But the emperor’s Shadow Warrior, the strangely lovely Oldstrong Lieutenant Caiera wants to stop him in his tracks. Does a lithe woman who looks to weigh all of about 125 lbs have what it takes to halt The Hulk? Jade Jaws is about to find out.

Caiera, we learn, was imbued with something called the “old shadow strength,” something like The Force. And she’s damn formidable. In this story we learn her history and her history with this emperor. Why she doesn’t want him as dead as The Hulk does is a mystery to me, especially considering the scar on her shoulder shows she’s free of his control disc implants, but there’s more story to tell on this one. Suffice it to say, this emperor deserves what, hopefully, is coming to him. While The Hulk’s strength and raw power come through loud and clear in this issue, smashing’s what Hulk does best, it’s his attitude that stands out for me. This Hulk’s just plain fun to read. The dim-witted berserker is no where to be seen around this confident, lucid badass monster that Greg Pak has gifted us.

The Planet Hulk story line has been one of the best comic book experiences in recent memory, which I gladly put up against Civil War, Infinite Crisis, the new Batman, and Brubaker’s Captain America and Daredevil. It’s really interesting to get so caught up in a story line at the other end of the universe from Civil War yet know there’s retribution coming to the creators of The Hulk’s predicament. And the journey so far has given us and still is giving us some of the best Hulk ever, as well.

Tpb Reviews

Sam Wilson’s Review

The Global Frequency: Planet Ablaze
DC/Wildstorm Comics
Written by: Warren Ellis
Drawn by: A lot of people including Glenn Farby and Steve Dillon

For those of you who haven’t been paying attention, Warren Ellis is the man. He is part of the British Invasion of authors that include Garth Ennis and Mark Millar, but like his contemporaries he has a style that is uniquely his own. I first became an Ellis Disciple with his “Stormwatch” series from Wildstorm, which eventually evolved into “The Authority”, without which there arguably would be no “Ultimates” series from Marvel. He also is responsible for the fan-favorite alternative title “Transmetropolitan”, and one of my favorite books of all time “Planetary” (due to wrap up sometime this year). One of his most innovative but almost forgotten series of recent memory is “Global Frequency”, a 12 issue maxi-series put out by DC/Wildstorm back in 2003. Sci-heavy like most of his work, “Global Frequency” is a mile a second thrill ride that features self-contained stories in every issue about a group of techies, soldiers and other types who only exist as a group to avert world-ended emergencies as they arise. This series worked well and actually made it to the pilot stage of a TV series staring Michelle Forbes (Battlestar Gallactica, STTNG, Kalifornia) but never caught on as a series. Shame really, it really was an adrenaline fueled rush from start to finish, and the “Planet Ablaze” tpb collects the first six issues of the series. Definitely worth a read while sipping away at a Red Bull…

Like I stated earlier, “The Global Frequency” is a group of 1001 operative located worldwide who have a variety of professions, from military specialties, computer/tech affinity to parkour (that urban gymnastics free running thing featured in those Nike Commercials and in that French Movie B13). They are contacted by a mysterious woman named Aleph when a disaster of epic and unexplainable proportions arises, and are led to solve the problem by the equally mysterious trench coat wearing woman known as Miranda Zero. The “Planet Ablaze” tpb runs the gambit of global disasters, wrapping each incident up by the end of the issue; nukes, suicide Internet cults, rogue tech, plenty of Ellis generated sci-fi goodness to be found. The characters are great as well, even though there are the two sort of “main” characters (Aleph and Miranda Zero), each issue features one or a team of “agents” who are part of the Global Frequency team working together to get the job done. My personal favorite story takes place in Australia with the native Cop and the mysterious Assassin lady vs. the Internet suicide cult. Yeah. This book is awesome, if you don’t buy both trades, at least check out “Planet Ablaze”, I guarantee you will want to buy the second one. “Plant Ablaze” is readily in print and available for $14.95. Word.

Wktf’s Review

SPIDER-MAN: Kraven’s Last Hunt (Fearful Symmetry)
Marvel Comics
Written by: J.M. DeMatteis
Art by: Mike Zeck and Bob McLeod

Just a couple of weeks ago Marvel reprinted this title under the HC trade dress of Marvel Premier Classics. I didn’t buy it, but that’s only because I already owned the original trade paperback. But I can’t think or a worthier storyline to kick off a hardcover series of classic Marvel stories.

This trade reprints the six part story from 1989, when Spidey wore his black (but non-symbiot) costume, that ran across all three Spider-Man titles at the time: Amazing, Spectacular and Web. I bought these as they came out in comics form, an adult roughly seven years out of college, and simply couldn’t believe what I was reading. Stan Lee summarizes this best in his surprisingly sober introduction to the original trade: “I’ve been with Spidey for many years. Didn’t think there was much that could excite me or surprise me in the way of new and different stories. But every so often I see a special issue, fantastically written, magnificently illustrated, and dazzlingly conceived. This is one of those times.”

Kraven the Hunter had been defeated by Spider-Man over and over again since his first appearance in Amazing Spider-Man #15. He’d become somewhat of a joke and Kraven, a man of fierce pride, internalized his failures to such a degree that it twisted his brain into a knot. Indeed, The Hunter had become certifiably insane. And his warped, twisted mind devised the only route to recapturing his honor: kill Spider-Man and replace him, effectively take over the role of his enemy to prove his superiority to him. But lots of villains have plotted to kill their heroic enemies. That by itself is nothing new or different. What was truly shocking in this tale? First of all, Kraven really did change. As Spider-Man realized when he said to himself, “Look at his eyes. There’s…something in his eyes! This isn’t the Kraven I know. He’s out of his…” With quiet, calm, insanity, Kraven tracks Spider-Man, drugs him with a poison dart, pins him in his net, shoots him point blank with a hunting rifle, and then buries him underground. Wait. Shoots him and…buries him? Kraven’s face, the look in his eyes, his direct efficient method…this wasn’t really happening, was it? Then Spider-Man simply disappears from sight (he’s been buried…right?) for two full issues.

DeMatteis’ story is told from both Kraven’s and Spider-Man’s point of view. Perhaps why it’s called “Fearful Symmetry”…that and, of course, the continuous reference to William Blake’s famous late eighteenth century poem, “The Tyger.” We are taken completely into Kraven’s drug-induced psychotically disturbed mental world. We experience his paranoia, his delusions and the downward spiral of his madness. We also are intimately brought into the worlds of Peter and MJ, only recently back from their honeymoon, and the mental anguish Kraven inflicts on them both as Spider-Man goes missing, buried alive, for two full weeks. As this story progresses we discover Spider-Man’s indomitable will to live forces him up from death through the grave toward life, while Kraven’s madness forces him inexorably toward an absolutely brutal suicide, a coward’s deranged ending to a useless life. Fearful Symmetry, indeed. And, again, a truly shocking moment in comics. Make no mistake, this is not the wise cracking fun-filled Spider-Man story so common in the character’s history. But it is fitting for a character whose origin and career is filled with trauma.

Everything Stan said in his intro is true. This is a fantastic story that has become a true classic. DeMatteis’ scripting is brilliant. But the biggest props go to Mike Zeck, an artist whose work on Captain America and Punisher I never really liked. His art always seemed too cartoony, two dimensional and stiff. Here, though, it is absolutely riveting. The mood and tone he sets throughout this story is dark, foreboding, mystical, exhilarating. I don’t know what it is. McLeod’s inks contribute to and enhance his art, certainly, but maybe this was the perfect story for Zeck to tell. “Kraven’s Last Hunt” has long been out of print but has been given a new lease on life with Marvel's latest HC trade dress series. Also, I know for certain you can pick up the tpb version second hand through Amazon or eBay. Everyone should at least read it if not own it. There are few stories like it that I know of in all of comics.
wktf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:05 AM   #2
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Ms Marvel is a solid, enjoyable read - I'd recommend it to anyone. WKTF, did you like Hulk right from the first issue of PH? Or did it get a lot better from what I thought was a highly disappointing, derivative part one. I'm planning to jump back on board when he gets back to earth, but your reviews are making me feel like I'm missing something, even though the storyline itself is not one that appeals to me.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:08 AM   #3
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Truly one of my all time favorite stories Joe... Kraven's last hunt. This was truthfully my first foray into serious Spidey collecting. I was blown away by a story that Spider-Man wasn't bantering quips about bad breath blah blah but instead dealing with the fact that he had been buried alive and traumatized.

It was such a brilliant arc to me...

I now will have to read this again...

Last edited by Kdawg59; 09-14-2006 at 10:44 AM.
Kdawg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:12 AM   #4
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

I have the Kraven issues, a superb story, and I won that hardcover in a local newspaper competition when I was a kid.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:13 AM   #5
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

jdh, I also was not too impressed with PH when it started, though I thought it was an interesting concept. I felt the first arc improved dramatically as it progressed and this arc, while a bit lower key than the first arc, to me takes it up a notch even from that as a strategically well written and drawn read, not to mention fun. I really like the way the Hulk is evolving as a character while still being true to his roots.

Keith, Kraven's Last Hunt simply is one of those stories on my short list of stories that is immortal in it's power and resonance. Couldn't agree with you more, my man. Oh, Keith, have you read Captain America yet? You've got to get to it!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 10:27 AM   #6
bat_collector
Galactus

I've been so busy I haven't even made it to the comic shop. But honestly this weeks crop of comics didn't inspire me much to do so. So no reviews this week, next week back on track.

WKTF, I thought the first two issues of Planet Hulk were pretty much Gladiator meets Hulk. But it did start changing and seems worth picking up.

Yesterday, however, I did read half of the dark knight returns.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:45 AM   #7
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
jdh, I also was not too impressed with PH when it started, though I thought it was an interesting concept. I felt the first arc improved dramatically as it progressed and this arc, while a bit lower key than the first arc, to me takes it up a notch even from that as a strategically well written and drawn read, not to mention fun. I really like the way the Hulk is evolving as a character while still being true to his roots.

Keith, Kraven's Last Hunt simply is one of those stories on my short list of stories that is immortal in it's power and resonance. Couldn't agree with you more, my man. Oh, Keith, have you read Captain America yet? You've got to get to it!!!
Joe I am going to sneak to the LCS tonight after work but you can bet Cap is going to be read before my head hits the pillow
Old 09-14-2006, 12:57 PM   #8
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Word!

Old 09-14-2006, 12:58 PM   #9
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Word!

Word to you!!! Cap kicks butt like Mamma WKTF on a bad shoe day!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 06:07 PM   #10
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
Yesterday, however, I did read half of the dark knight returns.

Hmm. Well, you are only 21 years behind us then. keep at it, you'll catch up. Eventually...
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote