Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-01-2018, 06:28 PM   #31
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
It's not Disney's fault. With everyone cutting the cord it won't be long before we are all nickle and dimed by the various content delivery services. CBS, NBC, ABC etc will start their own streaming services (some already are) and then the services like Netflix and Hulu won't be showing the old reruns anymore as the network channels will be doing it. It's going to be a vastly changing media world in 5-10 years.
I can't see them all being sustainable. Netflix has huge debt to get into the position of industry leader. I'll pay for 3-4 of these services, but then I'm done and I'll just miss the majority of shows being made.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:46 PM   #32
built2shred
Phoenix

It's mostly greed, every Network wants to max their profits so they think they can do that by having their own streaming service... Now if the Networks were cool about things they would just license their stuff to Netflix and customers wouldn't have to pay for a dozen different streaming services.. Everyone makes money and the customer gets a great deal.

Of course don't forget the cable companies they have pretty much bought up all the internet services, they're going to have to make up for loss revenue from everyone cutting the cord so don't be surprised when internet prices skyrocket....
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:18 PM   #33
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
It's not Disney's fault. With everyone cutting the cord it won't be long before we are all nickle and dimed by the various content delivery services. CBS, NBC, ABC etc will start their own streaming services (some already are) and then the services like Netflix and Hulu won't be showing the old reruns anymore as the network channels will be doing it. It's going to be a vastly changing media world in 5-10 years.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:35 PM   #34
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
It's mostly greed, every Network wants to max their profits so they think they can do that by having their own streaming service... Now if the Networks were cool about things they would just license their stuff to Netflix and customers wouldn't have to pay for a dozen different streaming services.. Everyone makes money and the customer gets a great deal.

Of course don't forget the cable companies they have pretty much bought up all the internet services, they're going to have to make up for loss revenue from everyone cutting the cord so don't be surprised when internet prices skyrocket....
The internet prices already happened. Went from $20 to $30, $40, $50, $60, $70, and now $80 and the speed hasn't improved at all. Soon I'll be paying as much for just internet as I paid ten years ago for internet and cable ($100) when I decided to cut the cable. This is what happens when you have monopolies. People that I know that have options pay half and get better service.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:08 PM   #35
built2shred
Phoenix

With Spectrum they just raised their prices from $50 to $60 a month but I do get 100 Mbps which handles everything in my household... I can stream several shows, while internet gaming and still have lots of speed left over…

I did noticed Spectrum is doing trials in select areas for 960 Mbps speeds... now that some fast internet...

I think the average cable bill right now is around $100, even if people cut the cord I don't see people saving much money, , you figure $60 for internet access then your looking at $8-$20 a month for each streaming service you subscribe too, so with a few streaming services you can easily be paying the same amount that you did when you had cable tv...
Old 12-01-2018, 10:13 PM   #36
supermetroid
Teen Titans

^How's your experience with them? Been thinking about it but I've read some customers saying they'll throttle the speeds down to almost dial up level if you use a lot of data(although they advertise no limits) and weather and afternoon really drags down the speed. Don't know why any household would need 960 Mbps lol...

I would love 30 Mbps, I'm only getting the best DSL At&t has which is 6...
V
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:13 PM   #37
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
With Spectrum they just raised their prices from $50 to $60 a month but I do get 100 Mbps which handles everything in my household... I can stream several shows, while internet gaming and still have lots of speed left over…

I did noticed Spectrum is doing trials in select areas for 960 Mbps speeds... now that some fast internet...
They sell that to me for $80 and it is lucky to be 30mbs most days when I do speed tests.

I would love to have any other options such as Google fiber, but that's likely a decade off in my neck of the woods.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:19 PM   #38
built2shred
Phoenix

I just did a few speeds test and I averaged 118.1 Mbps download and 11.8 Mbps upload... So I'm actually getting more then the advertised 100 Mbps..
Old 12-01-2018, 10:28 PM   #39
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermetroid View Post
^How's your experience with them? Been thinking about it but I've read some customers saying they'll throttle the speeds down to almost dial up level if you use a lot of data(although they advertise no limits) and weather and afternoon really drags down the speed. Don't know why any household would need 960 Mbps lol...

I would love 30 Mbps, I'm only getting the best DSL At&t has which is 6...
V
I do d/led huge files ( won't say what they are ), I have been for many years and Spectrum has never throttled their bandwidth on me...

With Spectrum they use cable lines so weather has no impact on speed, now cable based internet do use shared bandwidth for the neighborhood so if you do live in a neighborhood where everyone has spectrum and everyone is d/l'ing huge files then yeah that can impact your ultimate speed.

My dad has Cox cable at his house at the beach and from 5pm-8pm the Internet speeds drop off big time, which I assume is from everyone jumping on the internet at that time.

Phone companies use dedicated copper lines or if your lucky fiber lines, so you don't have to share any bandwidth if you use them.

Where I live most of my neighbors are older 60's-70's so I doubt many even use the internet other then maybe emailing their kids or Netflix so I never have issues with bandwidth.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:38 PM   #40
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Gotcha, thanks for the info. I'm hoping at&t expands U-verse to my area next year.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote