joefixit2
Baron Zemo

The Vow 8/10 for a chick movie.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #10033
Rocket
Art of Mod

8.5/10

Horrific, deeply, deeply unsettling, but so wonderfully done. Follows the true events surrounding Australia's worst ever serial killer in 1999. I remember this like it was yesterday, andit's just as chilling now as it was then.
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #10034
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Wow, bold statement Bulls.

I love it too but it got a bit hokey in parts for me (especially the end) so I can't rate it as perfect. Still a blast though. Certainlly one of the better comic to film adaptations and has one of, if not the best, comic book film score by John Murphy. There are still a handful of other comic book films I'd place above it though.

Oh and a sequel IS in the works BTW.
I honestly hope the movie has nothing to do with the actual comic book sequel. That book was simply trying to be controversial for the sake of being controversial.... it just got ugly and ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSET View Post
Glad too see someone loves this movie
I loved it too, not as much as you did, but I feel its still a bit underrated.

Reason why Kick ass is 10x better than chronicle

Chronicle takes itself too seriously, Kick-Ass doesn't

You should check out Defendor, its a similar concept. I thought it was awesome, much better than Super which is very similar.
Comparing Chronicle to Kick-Ass...... yeah I couldn't do that seriously.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:01 AM   #10035
DSET
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
I honestly hope the movie has nothing to do with the actual comic book sequel. That book was simply trying to be controversial for the sake of being controversial.... it just got ugly and ridiculous.

Comparing Chronicle to Kick-Ass...... yeah I couldn't do that seriously.
what do you mean by that?

Only reason I compare the two is because of the Teenage superheroes.

They both try to tell stories about the illusion of a plausible teenage superhero in the real world, one uses superpowers one doesn't. One movie takes itself very seriously in its tone and one doesn't.
DSET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #10036
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
what do you mean by that?

Only reason I compare the two is because of the Teenage superheroes.

They both try to tell stories about the illusion of a plausible teenage superhero in the real world, one uses superpowers one doesn't. One movie takes itself very seriously in its tone and one doesn't.
Which one "wasn't serious", though? Both had "innocence lost" themes in them.

Kick Ass was more "camp" early on, but that ceased being the case fairly early in the movie.

Chronicle was just brutal, from start to finish... the Antagonist was really dealt a cruel hand in life.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #10037
DSET
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post

Kick Ass was more "camp" early on, but that ceased being the case fairly early in the movie.

Chronicle was just brutal, from start to finish... the Antagonist was really dealt a cruel hand in life.
chronicle takes its storytelling methods seriously, the whole gimmick of the film is that its supposed to make me believe in these superpowers. Obviously I don't think they are trying to say that superpowers are real, but the gritty and realistic approach to the film is what I mean by it takes itself too seriously.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:56 AM   #10038
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post

Well said. While Kick-Ass took a more serious tone late in the film to help the audience become more invested in the characters situation, the movie was still camp. Which is great btw. Chronicle is a serious movie about a troubled teenage life. It is drama from start to finish. I can't compare the two films to each other. Completely different tone and direction.

Quote:
chronicle takes its storytelling methods seriously, the whole gimmick of the film is that its supposed to make me believe in these superpowers. Obviously I don't think they are trying to say that superpowers are real, but the gritty and realistic approach to the film is what I mean by it takes itself too seriously.
I think you got too caught up in the powers and abilities themselves, imo. While the powers were cool and all, the movie was about Andrew's troubled life and what happens when someone like that comes across untold power. It is meant to be dramatic.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:22 AM   #10039
DSET
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Well said. While Kick-Ass took a more serious tone late in the film to help the audience become more invested in the characters situation, the movie was still camp. Which is great btw. Chronicle is a serious movie about a troubled teenage life. It is drama from start to finish. I can't compare the two films to each other. Completely different tone and direction.

I think you got too caught up in the powers and abilities themselves, imo. While the powers were cool and all, the movie was about Andrew's troubled life and what happens when someone like that comes across untold power. It is meant to be dramatic.
I'm not describing the stories them self, although the story in chronicle was completely one dimensional IMO, its not what bothered me. The storytelling is what bothered me.

I might not be using the term storytelling correctly. What I mean is the use of camera work, style of dialogue, type of characters, tone of the film etc.

The documentary style approach to this story felt gimmicky and hindered the film instead of improving on it. From the first use of their powers I had a hard time watching it, it felt like I was watching a video game.

I've heard that they wanted the acting and dialogue to sound like the everyday person which IMO isn't a smart approach to film-making, the acting and screenplay was beyond horrible IMO.

However I could have lived with that if it wasn't for the lame documentary style approach which felt cheesy in its execution.

I guess this film is just not for me because I know most like it, I even couldn't stand 300 because of cheese ball narration. But I enjoyed the action scenes in 300 for what they were. In chronicle I had a hard time even enjoying its action because it sets itself in a realistic realm.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:10 AM   #10040
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
The Vow 8/10 for a chick movie.
way to man up lol
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote