Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 02-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
risingstar
Jedi Order

Sideshow SHAAK TI Premium Format Exclusive (with custom cloaks) - StatueForum Review

Shaak Ti Premium Format Exclusive by Sideshow Collectives - The StatueForum Review
Exclusive edition limited to 1000. Regular edition limited to 2500.
Release date – August 2013. Original price $350

Continuing its exceptional tradition of producing the finest in Star Wars expanded universe collectibles, Sideshow collectibles proudly presents the Togrutan Jedi Master – Shaak Ti. For those who may be unaware, Shaak Ti made her remarkable debut in LucasArts' breakthrough Star Wars video game, The Force Unleashed.

- Sculpted by: Kat Sapene (Paint), Mark Newman (Sculpt), Justin McMillan (Sculpt), Amy Carpenter (Costume), Ian Macdonald (Design), and the Sideshow Collectibles Design and Development Team.
- Custom Jedi cloaks designed by our very own Jamie B. (dechirico7)
- Dimensions - 19" H x 12" W x 7" L
- Weight - Approximately 14 pounds

Click on the bar atop the image for a full view.

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 02-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 02-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 02-05-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
risingstar
Jedi Order

Sculpture: Following the success of the Darth Talon premium format statue, Sideshow definitely had its work cut out for them. Assembling a top notch development team which included fan favorite Mark Newman (Poison Ivy, Storm, Queen of the Dead, Vampirella) Sideshow succeeded in maintaining its stellar level of craftsmanship. This latest expanded Star Wars universe release displays wonderfully alongside the finest Sideshow releases of the genre. This latest Star Wars premium format figure is sculpted in high-quality polystone with cloth and faux-leather wear.

It’s no secret -- The Sideshow fanbase digs the girls. The hotter looking, the better. Fans want their supergirls to look heroic, brave, daring, sexy, muscular, scantily clad yet dignified, with just enough room to leave something to the imagination. Not an easy task. Thankfully, Sideshow steps up to the plate and manages to hit another homerun. Like its successful predecessor Darth Talon, this one totally delivers. This interpretation delightfully illustrates the graceful Jedi's savage beauty and warrior's strength.

This piece features a very limited amount of cloth, which should please the partial to polystone fanbase. Other than the strip of cloth and leather undergarment around her hips, these piece is pretty much all polystone. The balance seems to work well. I honestly can’t say I wish it had more or less cloth or porcelain.

Displaying at 19 inches in height, this should be a cinch to display among the other ¼ scale Star Wars premium formats. However, the obvious positive here is that because she looks so remarkably different, she’ll stand out for all the right reasons.

The statue comes with two different left forearm pieces, i.e., a left forearm piece with clenched fist and a second left forearm piece which holds Starkiller’s lightsaber (this second forearm ships with the exclusive). Both forearm pieces look really good and provide a different mood to the piece. I actually prefer the clenched fist display option as it makes it look like a battle is about to begin whereas the exclusive display option which features Starkiller’s lightsaber in hand feels like the battle has already been won.

The light-up lightsaber feature is the best I have seen to date. The blue neon-like lighting is solid and surprisingly bright and strong. While we did hear about some people receiving defective lightsabers, it’s evidently clear that the science behind the lightsaber mechanism has improved (when it’s working).

Rating - 9/10
-------------------------------------------------------

Paint: If there is any downside to this statue, it’s the paint applications. It simply doesn’t feel detailed enough, expressive enough, or bold enough. While it does the job, it lacks that wow we’ve seen in other releases like the Darth Talon PF, the Joker PF, the Venom comiquette, and various other releases. However, it is good enough.

Rating 7/10

Base: The tentacles of Sarlacc are an especially nice touch as it adds a cool and familiar element of “a galaxy far far away” to the statue, unlike most other Star Wars releases which feature a more generic or bland looking desert theme. I’m not sure how many people actually knew what those tentacles were. The base also features the bones of dead animals native to the planet Felucia. Again, another cool touch which adds to the overall alien planet setting of the piece. Very nicely done.

Rating 9/10

Ease of assembly: The statue ships with 8 separate pieces, i.e., the Shaak Ti figure, right hand with light-up lightsaber, a left forearm piece with clenched fist, a second left forearm piece holding Starkiller’s lightsaber (this ships with the exclusive only), 3 tentacles of the Sarlacc, and the base featuring the bones of dead animals native to the planet Felucia. The piece also ships with a set of batteries and an AC adapter for the light-up lightsaber.

This piece is relatively easy to put together, although you may need to occasionally need to exert some force when connecting and disconnecting the figure to and from the base. Just be your usual careful self and you’ll be fine.

Rating 9/10

Accuracy: I'm not sure whose comic artwork this is based on. However, in my biased opinion, anything with Mark Newman’s attached starts with a 9/10.

Rating: 9/10

The negatives: Upon seeing the preview pics of this statue at the Sideshow website, my first thought was that this piece should have shipped with a Jedi cloak. In fact, all Jedi Masters should ship with a removable cloak. Thankfully, for fans who might feel the same way, there are a number of customizers out there.

Overall rating - 9/10
Old 02-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #6
risingstar
Jedi Order

The custom cloaks - Brownish tint
Cloaks designed by our very own Jamie B. (dechirico7)

Old 02-05-2014, 10:58 AM   #7
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 02-05-2014, 11:12 AM   #8
risingstar
Jedi Order

The custom Jedi cloak - Black version
Cloaks designed by our very own Jamie B. (dechirico7)

Old 02-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #9
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 02-05-2014, 08:31 PM   #10
Sithlord32
New Republic

great pics and review this has been right near the top my list I hope I can purchase one before the price climbs out of reach.
Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote