Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 12-27-2018, 09:36 AM   #1
biomanz
Doh!

Could Large Statues Handle Earthquakes?

More specifically, large statues with a prop supported only by a metal rod attached to a base, like the XM Studios Batgirl below. It looks like it's only attached at the ball of her left foot, and the statue is 25'' high weighing about 27 lbs (don't know if "product weight" includes the whole box). I keep imagining a large earthquake (I'm in the west coast) would break either the foot/lower leg, or at least bend the metal insert.
I have a 1/7 scale resin model with a similar pose that's much smaller at less than 2 lbs and watching it shake holding the base gives me goosebumps. Or am I just being paranoid? Before you say so, yes there would be more important things to worry about in a large earthquake and I'm excluding things falling on the statue.

I even asked XM and they say it probably wouldn't stand an earthquake, but they probably don't want to promise anything. She mentioned using clear glue like cyanoacrylate aka super glue for broken pieces, but I've heard others saying epoxy is better for larger porcelain statues?

biomanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:44 AM   #2
Augen
The Hulk

It honestly would depend on the magnitude of the quake. Small ones should not be an issue, but at a certain point not much you can do about it.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:29 PM   #3
stone eagle
Justice League

You might want to get a rider to your homeowner's insurance to cover loss or a separate collector's insurance to cover in the event of a quake or fire or even theft etc. Many people don't realize that homeowner's insurance has limits on things like collectables, electronics, camera equipment and other stuff.
stone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:11 PM   #4
biomanz
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone eagle View Post
You might want to get a rider to your homeowner's insurance to cover loss or a separate collector's insurance to cover in the event of a quake or fire or even theft etc. Many people don't realize that homeowner's insurance has limits on things like collectables, electronics, camera equipment and other stuff.
Yea I asked AAA to cover $xxx at home in our renter's insurance before but should ask if it covers my cameras/toys as well. Thanks for the tip. Do you guys value larger statues a little more if they appreciate in value, or just how much you paid for it?

If it breaks at the ankle, is superglue strong enough as the XM rep suggested?

Uuuuggh I also got a Tracer and Supergirl statue with similar poses/attachment points and sucks thinking they're on some sort of timer until the next big quake hits
biomanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:29 AM   #5
stone eagle
Justice League

I believe most insurance companies deal with receipts as to what you payed for your items to determine replacement value. Otherwise you need "agreed upon value" type of policy which may mean a third party appraisal and insurance agent photos of item to get an increased payout limit.
I don't know about repair to statues and holding power of various epoxies or glues. Hopefully one of the site members with experience will reply soon.
Only other thing I can suggest is put each statue in an enclosed plexiglass cube so it can't flex or fall very far, that may prevent some breakage. In the long run though just realize than in the grand scheme of things it's just a thing that can be replaced and you will drive yourself nuts worrying about something that may never happen in your lifetime. Think of those who have survived total devastation due to natural disasters and they are sad over loss of material things only slightly but more concerned about loss of loved ones or overjoyed over the fact that everyone survived and they don't sweat the loss of stuff.
stone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:36 AM   #6
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Try getting some museum putty. It'll help reinforce them from tipping over or falling but all that doesn't mean anything if the shelves give way....
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote