Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 11-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

What are your poster collecting habits?

So I'm seeing a lot of Mondo talk, due to the new section I guess. This has gotten me wondering who actively collects posters, and if so what lines and types?

Do you get them all framed, or do you have a huge collection of tubes?

Like I said, there's a lot of Mondo talk, but does anyone collect movie one sheets or any other movie art?

Anyway, just curious, want to see who's got what.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Well I'm a noob to the whole Mondo craze. I've always been a fan of film poster art though. Unfortunately the official film posters aren't much to look at nowadays. Every now and then you'll see a great one but they're few and far between. To me the official posters are kind of a lost art form. Mondo fills that void somewhat IMO. Taking us back to a time when posters were more than just a few head shots of the lead actors but actual art. At least that's how I see it.

I do collect some other movie related art. Random giclees, prints and a couple of original paintings are all I have presently. I have some framed original one sheets too.

As far as my Mondo collecting habits go I'm not planning on buying a whole lot. I don't want to collect things I can't frame and display. I presently have 2 Mondos with a third on the way. I don't really see myself getting more than 5 or 6 but you never know. I can't rule out the possibility of me buying posters/prints I like and storing them with the hopes of some day being able to frame and display them. I'm not going to get carried away though.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
OpticBlast
Sinister Six

Mondo was my gateway into movie posters. I've always been interested in movie posters but never thought about getting them framed, and i thought they were too big. Mondo's technique of screen printing and using metallic and glow in the dark inks really interested me into getting some. Since they use the screen printing technique usually it's a more stylistic or artistic interpretation of the movie poster and that really solidified it for me. Before i found out about Mondo i bought some comic prints here and there at comic conventions from booths that had prints like Aspen. After Mondo i've branched onto art prints as well from some of their artist and other ones. I've been storing my posters and prints in a 24x36 portfolio acid free binder. I try to get my favorite ones framed when i have the funds.
OpticBlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
Marvelito

I've been aware of Mondo for a few years now, but don't own any yet. Mainly because I haven't put much effort into getting any. I usually don't find out about them until too late, and buying them after the fact is usually cost prohibitive. I also haven't come to terms with collecting these due to display issues. I have plenty of things I need to display, but posters take up way too much space. I can't imagine my wife wanting a Dawn of the Dead poster, proudly displayed in the living room. I totally agree with you on the lack of great movie posters Scott. Even when there is a great one, they usually don't scream art, the way classic movie posters used to. Despite all of this I really would like to pick up some of these Mondo posters, they're way too cool not to have at least a couple, right?
Old 11-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #5
Marvelito

Optic, I find the techniques Mondo uses to be one of, if not the main selling point of their posters. These are not mass produced posters, but handcrafted pieces of art. Do you guys know of other companies doing stuff like Mondo does?
Old 11-03-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Remember back in college, used to send away for movie poster catalogues from the adds in Fangoria. These were hand written, scanned catalogues. Bought original Fly, Fly II, Dawn of the Dead, and Hellraiser posters. Had them hanging on my walls in college. Sold them all off except Dawn of the Dead. Haven't bought any posters in all these years but there are some Mondo posters that are definitely calling me. I always wanted the Planet of the Apes original subway poster but I was too poor back then to afford it.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
Marvelito

I had recently read this article in the L.A. Times about a guy trying to sell his movie poster collection for 3.5 mil.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movi...hive-rare.html

Interesting stuff.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #8
ONEYE
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I don't collect them. Way too much damage can happen to them. Too easily damaged.
ONEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #9
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
Despite all of this I really would like to pick up some of these Mondo posters, they're way too cool not to have at least a couple, right?
Thanks my thinking. It's totally different than statue collecting but just as much fun and at the end of the day it's all about our collective love of art. If anything it brings a bit of diversity into one's collection. Now for the hard part... picking just a couple.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:38 PM   #10
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEYE View Post
I don't collect them. Way too much damage can happen to them. Too easily damaged.
I think collecting statues is just as risky personally, if not more so.