Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 07-25-2005, 12:55 PM   #1
Gruson
Suicide Squad

Emulators are out on the PSP!! (if you did not know)

You can read and get them here:

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/

Good luck. SNES and NES emus are working perfect. You need a 1.5 PSP though. I now have over hundreds of games on mine now.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 02:49 PM   #2
Ghost
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Nice. Always great to have emulators for handhelds. I remember getting them for my Game Boys. The best mod I like for the PSP though is the free websurfing through WI FI. Awesome.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 05:56 PM   #3
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

Okay, I admit. I don't know much about the video game world. What's an emulator? Will it allow my kids to play PS2 games on their PSP? Also, for all you vid game xperts, here's my question/observation. A
pparently the PSP games are not that great. I bought each of my kids both the Nintendo DS and PSP. Neither system is being played to any great extent (except my 20-year-old's friends will use hers). I wouldn't be surprised if the others are out of battery power. the theory will be tested in a few weeks when we go on a weeklong cruise of the Mediterranean. I'm gonna load up on PSP movies and the latest games this week. However, I also think that until you have cheap writable UMDs so that you can rip TV shows and favorite movies (or Sony sets up something like a videostore with $2/TV-$5/movie downloads)not many people are going to utilize the format. Buying a $100 memory stick for this purpose doesn't make sense when you can buy a spindle of 100 blank DVDs for $30. They need to get recordable UMDs out into the market that would cost a buck or so. And it wouldn't hurt to get some cheap UMD players and computer drives out there too, not to compete with portable DVD players and laptops, but so that people who drop $20 on UMDs don't feel cheated. For that matter, I think UMDs should really be around $9.99 when you can get a DVD for $20 new, $14 on sale, and $5 in the bargain bin.

Anyway, if there were a way to rip programs from DVD to UMD, I could TIVO some of my TV shows for the trip, burn those to DVD, then go DVD to UMD. Or, is the PSP hard drive big enough to hold a few programs so I could go from DVD straight to hard drive, then delete those shows after the trip.

THX
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 06:07 PM   #4
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I`ll wait for a mod chip before I spend money on this.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:30 PM   #5
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus
Okay, I admit. I don't know much about the video game world. What's an emulator? Will it allow my kids to play PS2 games on their PSP? Also, for all you vid game xperts, here's my question/observation. A
pparently the PSP games are not that great. I bought each of my kids both the Nintendo DS and PSP. Neither system is being played to any great extent (except my 20-year-old's friends will use hers). I wouldn't be surprised if the others are out of battery power. the theory will be tested in a few weeks when we go on a weeklong cruise of the Mediterranean. I'm gonna load up on PSP movies and the latest games this week. However, I also think that until you have cheap writable UMDs so that you can rip TV shows and favorite movies (or Sony sets up something like a videostore with $2/TV-$5/movie downloads)not many people are going to utilize the format. Buying a $100 memory stick for this purpose doesn't make sense when you can buy a spindle of 100 blank DVDs for $30. They need to get recordable UMDs out into the market that would cost a buck or so. And it wouldn't hurt to get some cheap UMD players and computer drives out there too, not to compete with portable DVD players and laptops, but so that people who drop $20 on UMDs don't feel cheated. For that matter, I think UMDs should really be around $9.99 when you can get a DVD for $20 new, $14 on sale, and $5 in the bargain bin.

Anyway, if there were a way to rip programs from DVD to UMD, I could TIVO some of my TV shows for the trip, burn those to DVD, then go DVD to UMD. Or, is the PSP hard drive big enough to hold a few programs so I could go from DVD straight to hard drive, then delete those shows after the trip.

THX
I have to say my friends and I have played more DS then PSP. I've only been using the PSP for websurfing, but the DS is getting the same thing soon. I think your whole theory on UMDs is well, wishful thinking. There's too much media formats out there for them to put out another. Which I think was dumb in the first place of Sony doing this. I don't even see the point of buying movies on a format that only one system, a tiny system I might add, to watch them on. I'd say your best bet would to be getting some big memory sticks and just stuffing them with videos on them. Saves time and dvds as well. But for what you wanna do, I would just rather rip a dvd to copy it, or download movies and burn to dvds and watch them on any kind of dvd player.

But to answer your question, an emulator is a program that emulates other systems, mainly cartridge based systems cause you can copy the games and make them into ROMs, in which you can also edit and what not. This allows you to play NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Boy, Game Gear, N64 and old arcade machines like, MAME and other arcade boards like NEO GEO and what not. If anything that would be great to play those classics on the PSP screen. None of the new games are worth playing or buying anyways.

Dunno why or how you can get a mod for the PSP, you can't really fit a PS2 game on there so there's no reason to mod it. OTher then playing PSP games from Japan, of which I believe you can already do, there's no other reason to get it modified other then, I really can't think. the PSP can act like a computer so you can add stuff too it like a PC for the most part. Sorry for the long post.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:31 PM   #6
Gruson
Suicide Squad

Let me add that the NES, SNES, Genesis, NeoGeo, etc games look AWESOME on the PSP screen. I will never play my GBA again. BTW, there is a GBA emu out too for PSP.

The best part is, all the games are FREE.

As for real PSP games, there are not that many out...which sucks However, it's very cool having a SNES, Genesis, NES, etc all on one tiny system.

Oh, forget UMD movies, just download movies to the memory duo card. A gig card is a must.

Right now I have Star Wars (full movie),mp3s, photos, and hundreds of NES/SNES games on a 1 gig card. I love this device.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 10:45 PM   #7
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

Okay, Just ran this this by the boy. He's pretty psyched. We have a ton of old Sega Genesis and N64 games in storage (never got the SNES). Anyway, next question is if we do this (hopefully it's pretty easy), where do you then get the games? Do we have to get from one machine to another or is there a site or two where we can find? How big are the files? We have lots of 128 meg memory sticks just laying around and maybe a few 256s, but I don't think we have a 1 gig.

THX
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 03:51 AM   #8
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus
Okay, Just ran this this by the boy. He's pretty psyched. We have a ton of old Sega Genesis and N64 games in storage (never got the SNES). Anyway, next question is if we do this (hopefully it's pretty easy), where do you then get the games? Do we have to get from one machine to another or is there a site or two where we can find? How big are the files? We have lots of 128 meg memory sticks just laying around and maybe a few 256s, but I don't think we have a 1 gig.

THX

You basically have to find the emulators, download them, and then search and download the ROMs(games) you want to add to the emulators. Then run the emulator, open up a game like you would a file and boom it starts. I love playing Metal Gear Slug and King of Fighters over and over again. You should be able to fit a good amount on a 128 stick. They're not that big, until you move to bigger stuff like a N64 roms and such. Just google it. There's a ton of sites out there that host emulators and roms.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:27 AM   #9
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
I have to say my friends and I have played more DS then PSP. I've only been using the PSP for websurfing, but the DS is getting the same thing soon. I think your whole theory on UMDs is well, wishful thinking. There's too much media formats out there for them to put out another. Which I think was dumb in the first place of Sony doing this. I don't even see the point of buying movies on a format that only one system, a tiny system I might add, to watch them on. I'd say your best bet would to be getting some big memory sticks and just stuffing them with videos on them. Saves time and dvds as well. But for what you wanna do, I would just rather rip a dvd to copy it, or download movies and burn to dvds and watch them on any kind of dvd player.

But to answer your question, an emulator is a program that emulates other systems, mainly cartridge based systems cause you can copy the games and make them into ROMs, in which you can also edit and what not. This allows you to play NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Boy, Game Gear, N64 and old arcade machines like, MAME and other arcade boards like NEO GEO and what not. If anything that would be great to play those classics on the PSP screen. None of the new games are worth playing or buying anyways.

Dunno why or how you can get a mod for the PSP, you can't really fit a PS2 game on there so there's no reason to mod it. OTher then playing PSP games from Japan, of which I believe you can already do, there's no other reason to get it modified other then, I really can't think. the PSP can act like a computer so you can add stuff too it like a PC for the most part. Sorry for the long post.
The mod chip will let you play the copied game.
Say you copy a ps2 game unto a small blank psp disk yes they`re out there then you can play a ps2 game on a psp.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 02:49 PM   #10
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord odin
The mod chip will let you play the copied game.
Say you copy a ps2 game unto a small blank psp disk yes they`re out there then you can play a ps2 game on a psp.

Show me.

"SCE was however explicit with regard to escalating chatter that writable UMD discs will surface either at development level or be made available to the public. “UMD writers will not be released to the public or to developers. All developer subs will be written to DVD-R and converted by us for UMD.” So that’s that cleared up. It was also mentioned that Sony has a strong focus on copy protection for all of its IP-rich hardware projects."

"The potential is up to Sony. They have licensed other manufacturers to make UMD players for home use, but no writers. In fact, Sony doesn't even give UMD writers to game developers. For example, Ubisoft/Bandai/Q-Entertainment could not press Lumines and ship it out. They had to ship the code to Sony so they could do it. It's possibly Sony might have to end up giving out writers eventually because i doubt they'll be able to keep up with pressing games (and movies) once more and more start coming out."

I'd like to see if any of this has changed.