Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-16-2015, 10:57 PM   #1
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Arrow Star Wars Episode VII (The Spoilers Thread)

So just back from a midnight showing and it was very enjoyable. The tone and feel of the movie was very much a throw back to the original trilogy with welcome return of familiar characters.

The death of
Spoiler
Han
for me felt a little hollow and did not have the emotional depth it should have had.

It was also nice that there is still some mystery surrounding Rae who is a fantastic character. For me the most interesting of the new characters.

KR for me felt like the character Anakin should have been (obviously a much better actor in Adam Driver) but nothing new.

Phantasm totally under used but when you have so many new characters there has to be sacrifices.

Anyway more thoughts tomorrow. It's 02.56 here time for some sleep.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:32 PM   #2
ALPH4T34M
Thunderstrike

7/10 for me.

Great 'scenery', it captured the look and feel of the original trilogy.

Humor was abound, Finn's character was the surprise for me, good support and liked him a lot.

Rae was great, as Rob said, nice to see some of the mystery is left in her character.

Han's death, could have been handled much better, I don't mind that fact that he was killed off, but perhaps a bit too soon in this trilogy I feel. Also his connection to Ren had a weak buildup therefore it just didn't have the pull it needed to have and I wasn't 'sad'.

KR was ok, no real thoughts on him as yet as his character is old SW formula news, was hoping for some other flair to the writing of his character, but not so far, let's see where he ends up in the next film.

A very familiar formula to any SW fan, a decent enough start to wipe away some bad memories of the most recent trilogy, and a good stepping stone to the next films, although some delicacy in story writing will most definitely be needed.
ALPH4T34M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:40 PM   #3
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

while I like the movie, it felt pretty unoriginal and like a fanfilm - there were far too many references & homages to the OT that while there is some original plot in the film it is very thinly disguised.

Harrison makes the film for me. An aged Han works so well.

Knowing that Kylo is a solo, I would put money on Rey being Kylo's twin sister - although all previous books are non canon now - especially seeing as "Ben" was the name of Luke & Mara's son!

Like Darth Maul, Captain Phasma was under used

Still blown away by the death of Han by Neil Gaiman,errr Kylo Ren
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:17 AM   #4
EnShinNoi
Midnighter

I love the new characters.

Rae is awesome. I do feel they made her a little too useful/powerful though. An experienced mechanic, pilot, fighter and on top of all, a jedi. She doesn't even need a crew!

Finn gives a new perspective that no other character in the Star Wars movies has had. He mixes things up for the better.

The actor for Kylo Ren did a much better job of showing confliction than whats-his-face. Not as scary or authoritarian as I expected but I think that will change in the next movie.

BB-8 is basically R2-D2 which is great. I hope they become friends and play tricks on C-3PO.

I'm surprised they killed Han and not Chewbacca. It's hard to imagine either character alone. I'm also surprised Han had such a leading role in this movie. (and that Luke had so little).

So yeah, overall I loved it. It managed to redeem the Star Wars movie franchise after those god-awful prequels. It might receive a bit of backlash for being so reminiscent of the OT. But I'm only a minor Star Wars fan. I watched IV recently but haven't seen V or VI in years. They're not fresh in my mind so I had no problem with the formulaic approach. The furture looks promising.
EnShinNoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:49 PM   #5
Juggernaut
The Falcon

Captain Phasma had too little a part in the movie.
Considering she most likely was thrown in a garbage compactor she may survive and be in the next movie, with a betetr part.

Luke Skywalker had too little a part in the movie aswell. He will most likely also be in the mext movie and he realy needs a better part in the next episode!

Lord Snoke had a very dissapointing design. The bad guys are always quite cool in Star wars, but Snoke was a bit bland.

As already mentioned Han Solo's death could have had a better build up.

The Maz character was realy boring.

I thought BB8 would wind up being and R2D2 wannabe, but BB8 realy has a personality of it's own and is hillarious.

Finn, his charcter had alot more depth than I though he would have and became alot more inetresting character than I thought he would be.

Poe Damaeron, cool X-Wing pilot, cool character alltogether.

Rey was great and her having such ability to use the force so quickly does not bother me, she is just realy adept, but if her grandfather also is Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader it all makes sense.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:37 PM   #6
Leon
WHITE & NERDY

Just back from seeing it and give it a 7/10 for now.
Finn: I was pleasantly surprised by him, I really liked his character and I loved his humor.
Rey: I think Rey learned to handled the force a bit too fast for my liking, and wiped the floor with Kylo Ren a bit too easy. But she's a loveable person and sweet to the eyes.
Kylo Ren/Ben: when his mask was on his voice was really awesome, almost reminiscent of Vader. When his mask was of I could't stop looking at his big nose.
Captain Phasma: yawn. Awesome suit, but very underused.
Snoke: I think he's interesting and want to know more about him. Is he really that big or is that just the projection? Would be cool if he was that big.
Solo & Chewie: like they never stopped playing them, really nice to see them again. The death of Solo was no surprise though.
Luke: that was a nice 10 seconds....

And how the hell did Maz get a hold on that lightsaber? It got chopped of with Luke's hand and disappeared into space if I remember correctly. But that was 'another story' as she said it.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:59 PM   #7
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Have to say Rey is a brilliant pilot too. She did things with the MF that Hans could only dream of.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:49 PM   #8
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Have to say Rey is a brilliant pilot too. She did things with the MF that Hans could only dream of.
If she is HAn's daughter, it would make sense...
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:55 AM   #9
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

I liked old Han. I can understand killing him off but they should have waited til next movie. Would have had more impact.

I thought they set up that Rae was Luke's daughter. When kylo was trying to get the map out of her head he saw an island. Which is where Luke is at. She was born on the island and spent a few years there until taken away for safety
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:56 AM   #10
Gruson
Suicide Squad

Lord Snoke (bad guy above Kylo) looked very fake to me and I just did not care for him or his design.

Maz also looked cheesy and not real.

Phasma - what the hell? She didn't do anything. Hopefully something in the next movie.

The red-headed new First Order guy also seemed miscast and out of place.

I loved the other characters though. Kylo, BB8, Rey, Finn, were great! Perfect.

Overall, it did feel like a Star Wars movie and really was a a Han Solo movie. His death could have been more dramatic and I had a feeling it was happening. Wish Luke would have said a line at the end too.

Overall, 8 out of 10 for me. Not perfect but damn good! Williams score was not memorable but at least he did play some classic themes when it showed the main characters. Overall, the musicwas lacking, especially compared to the scores of the original trilogy or even Episode 1.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote