Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 10-02-2005, 08:05 PM   #21
oxbeard
I am da law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abmarv
This piece is based on the art of the late John Buscema. I think Hard Hero did a splendid job of capturing the combination of elegance and power Mr. Buscema's art is known for. I think the metallic look of the wings is appropriate for that style. Many artists, including John Buscema and Jack Kirby, rendered the helmet in a silvery, homogeneous fashion. From a practical standpoint, metallic "feathers" would hold up much better in battle than the real thing. I completely agree, however, that each collector needs to choose variations on their favorite characters that they like. I for one, never cared for the Bowen version of Thor, but really like his take on some other characters. I think Hard Hero is doing great things, but people should buy what makes them happy.

Wellsaid.

And welcome to the boards BTW
oxbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 08:10 PM   #22
Ish
Kindly Asked To Leave

i hope bowen goes with a difrent pose for his, you know, one with the hammer not up above his head.
Ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:07 PM   #23
wellwisher
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
I saw this one at the Boston con and I'm sorry to say it's not my cup of tea. For me, the head seems a bit large and the wings are metallic (rather than white feathers). I'm happy for those who got this piece and love it, though. This is just my opinion which is no more valid than anyone else's.
You guys with the feather wings....Thor's helmet wings were metal far longer than they were feathers. Only the very early Journey into Mystery issues had Thor with actual feathers on his helmet. Not long into J.I.M. the helmet had metal wings. They were metal for decades. In 98% of the Thor titles they were metal wings.

I've got the Thor statue and after giving it a good look, the head is approx. 1" wide (not counting the hair), while the shoulders are "5 + wide. He stands over 8 heads tall.
That's perfect for superhero proportions.

If the character is "not your cup of tea" leave it alone. Why gripe about what you don't care for?

This is an amazing sculpture. Nuff said!
wellwisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:52 AM   #24
Mastermold
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

I like the face sculpt, but the muscles should have been more realistic IMO, like the Shifflett stuff. But that's just my preference.
Mastermold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:56 AM   #25
abmarv
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellwisher
Indeed it is.
abmarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 01:04 AM   #26
bigben7
Kindly Asked To Leave

cant wait to get mine. ordered it from danny along with the other hh marvel statues. love the thor so much i just sold my bowen thor to a forum member tlast night to make room.lol
bigben7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:19 AM   #27
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellwisher
You guys with the feather wings....Thor's helmet wings were metal far longer than they were feathers...If the character is "not your cup of tea" leave it alone. Why gripe about what you don't care for?

Hey man, chill. I'm not griping, just stating my opinion, not even complaining. This forum's a place where opinions are supposed to be shared, as long as it's in an appropriate manner. I'm glad you like the piece. Nuff said, indeed!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:22 AM   #28
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana P.
...That's interesting, your comments re: Bowen's Thor. I think the full-size is quite nice, although the face is a bit too Romita Jr. for my liking. As for the Bowen Thor mini-bust...well, let's just say thank goodness that Bowen is tackling Thor again, both as a new bust and new full size...
Dana, I really like the Bowen FS and one reason is precisely that it looks like the Romita Jr Thor, whose interpretation of the character is one of my favorites. It's not Kirby or Simonson, for sure, but one I really like.

"Amen" on Bowen's tackling the Thor mini-bust!
Old 10-03-2005, 11:21 AM   #29
imthkman
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Quote:
When I think of Thor I never think of Romita Jr's version. It's always Buscema, Romita Sr., Simonson, or Kirby. I'm not a comic art afficianado by any means, but to me Romita Jr's art is too blocky and he throws in all of these whacked out lines and he gives everyone hollowed out eyes so that they look like they are wearing eye shadow or something like that. Romita Jr's art was much nicer back in the 80s, I think.

That's why Bowen's new Thor FS will be better than the first Bowen FS Thor. It's destiny, due in part because the Buscema corner box will be the basis for it, I believe.

As for the bust, thank all the forces of goodness that the Fembot Thor bust will be supplanted by one more worthy the character.
imthkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:03 PM   #30
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
When I think of Thor I never think of Romita Jr's version. It's always Buscema, Romita Sr., Simonson, or Kirby. I'm not a comic art afficianado by any means, but to me Romita Jr's art is too blocky and he throws in all of these whacked out lines and he gives everyone hollowed out eyes so that they look like they are wearing eye shadow or something like that. Romita Jr's art was much nicer back in the 80s, I think.
I love the Buscema Thor, as well! But tops for me always will be Kirby followed by Simonson. I think we just disagree about Romita, Jr but that's OK. Personal taste and all that.