Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 05-26-2018, 11:24 AM   #1
AlwaysAlien
Frackin!

Lightbulb Window UV coatings for collection rooms?

Hey everyone,

I am considering getting some UV filter window coatings for my collection room (currently I leave the blackout curtains closed) and was wondering whether anyone else has done this and if it is effective?

Also if anyone has done this, do you have any recommendations for good quality coatings?

AlwaysAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
HARD
A day without sunshine is like... night.

No windows in the collection room.
HARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:34 PM   #3
qz33
Rescue

This site has the best selection I know of and is a good place to start learning.

https://www.decorativefilm.com/ultra...blocking-films
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:42 PM   #4
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysAlien View Post
Hey everyone,

I am considering getting some UV filter window coatings for my collection room (currently I leave the blackout curtains closed) and was wondering whether anyone else has done this and if it is effective?

Also if anyone has done this, do you have any recommendations for good quality coatings?

Window film will reduce a high percentage of UV rays, but since you'll want to leave them on, be sure you're ok with the darker tint. I've not used them, but I have used plenty of 3M products with good results. I assume they're available in the UK.

Visible light and heat will also contribute to fading to a lesser degree. While the films will reduce those some, that's not their primary concern.

Ultimately, I'd choose to continue to eliminate as much sunlight as possible, and use LEDs instead, as LEDs emit virtually no UV, very little heat, and typically don't emit the full visible light spectrum.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:54 PM   #5
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Window film will reduce a high percentage of UV rays, but since you'll want to leave them on, be sure you're ok with the darker tint. I've not used them, but I have used plenty of 3M products with good results. I assume they're available in the UK.

Visible light and heat will also contribute to fading to a lesser degree. While the films will reduce those some, that's not their primary concern.

Ultimately, I'd choose to continue to eliminate as much sunlight as possible, and use LEDs instead, as LEDs emit virtually no UV, very little heat, and typically don't emit the full visible light spectrum.
Yep the best advice. No sunlight is good light for collectibles.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:54 PM   #6
AlwaysAlien
Frackin!

Thanks for the advice all! Unfortunately I don't have a house that has any windowless rooms so having a collection room with no windows is literally impossible .

I will definitely be investing in some sort of window coating to eliminate as much light as possible though!

The blackout curtains do most of the work for me at the moment but having the extra protection would definitely be a good idea.

Will be investing asap as I now have some rather expensive alien items to display (SS Alien Big Chap Maquette, 1/4 Queen bust, Big Chap bust, Warrior bust (on the way), all the palisades signature series, Hot Toys AvPR Diorama and a few other pieces with the Prime 1 Alien Dog Maquette and the SS Alien Queen Maquette on order - will post pics once I have all the cabinets sorted and the collection displayed)!
AlwaysAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:14 PM   #7
built2shred
Phoenix

I had a company put window tint on all my windows where my statues are... it's a bronze tint and it works great, cuts down heat that comes through the windows and I don't have to worry about UV damaging my stuff..... That said it does make the room a bit darker with the bronze tint... They do make clear tint that also eliminates the UV if you still want the room to have natural light. To do 4 windows it was like $280

One plus to the bronze/black tint is it creates a reflection so people can't see into your house during the day...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:51 PM   #8
Buddy Bradley
Fantastic Four

I'm going to give what will probably be an unpopular point of view.

I kind of think the danger of exposing your collection to small amounts of light is overblown. I fully admit that I'm not nearly as experienced in this hobby as most here, but I do have a background in fine art so I'm not coming at this in total ignorance.

Do we actually know what kind of pigments that statue manufacturers use in the paints? When it comes to resistance to fading, there are two types of pigments. Lightfast and fugitive. Lightfast pigments can withstand exposure to light while fugitive pigments readily fade or change color over time. I can't imagine that companies charging hundreds and even into the thousands of dollars for their statues would use fugitive paints on them. How ridiculous would it be to spend all that time and money on a beautiful sculpt and meticulous paint job, and use paints that fade when exposed to light? The cost of the pigments shouldn't be a factor. More lightfast does not equal more expensive.

Even if a statue was painted with fugitive pigments, I really think having UV-resistant glass, a room with no windows, or blackout curtains would be overkill. Keeping the blinds closed should be sufficient.

Anyone have a shelf in their house where they keep books or movies? Do you keep that room totally cut off from light? I doubt it. Take something off of the shelf that has the same color on the spine as it does on the front or back. Has the color of the spine faded in comparison to the front or back? I doubt it, but I can guarantee you that the inks used to print them are in no way lightfast.

I'm not saying you shouldn't try to protect your collection from sunlight, but don't wring your hands over it. Put your collection where you can enjoy it and use a little common sense and you'll be fine. I keep my collection in a room with one window. I keep the blinds shut. I guarantee you my statues aren't going to fade.
Buddy Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:44 PM   #9
built2shred
Phoenix

I would guess SS uses whichever paint is going to give them the biggest profits....
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:40 AM   #10
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Bradley View Post
I'm going to give what will probably be an unpopular point of view.

I kind of think the danger of exposing your collection to small amounts of light is overblown. I fully admit that I'm not nearly as experienced in this hobby as most here, but I do have a background in fine art so I'm not coming at this in total ignorance.

Do we actually know what kind of pigments that statue manufacturers use in the paints? When it comes to resistance to fading, there are two types of pigments. Lightfast and fugitive. Lightfast pigments can withstand exposure to light while fugitive pigments readily fade or change color over time. I can't imagine that companies charging hundreds and even into the thousands of dollars for their statues would use fugitive paints on them. How ridiculous would it be to spend all that time and money on a beautiful sculpt and meticulous paint job, and use paints that fade when exposed to light? The cost of the pigments shouldn't be a factor. More lightfast does not equal more expensive.

Even if a statue was painted with fugitive pigments, I really think having UV-resistant glass, a room with no windows, or blackout curtains would be overkill. Keeping the blinds closed should be sufficient.

Anyone have a shelf in their house where they keep books or movies? Do you keep that room totally cut off from light? I doubt it. Take something off of the shelf that has the same color on the spine as it does on the front or back. Has the color of the spine faded in comparison to the front or back? I doubt it, but I can guarantee you that the inks used to print them are in no way lightfast.

I'm not saying you shouldn't try to protect your collection from sunlight, but don't wring your hands over it. Put your collection where you can enjoy it and use a little common sense and you'll be fine. I keep my collection in a room with one window. I keep the blinds shut. I guarantee you my statues aren't going to fade.
You've made some factually incorrect statements here, but the rest that is opinion (which no one is really debating here) is completely valid, of course.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote