Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

That is pretty darn funny.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
Nitefall
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Right! Right. Right. That's my point.

Van Cleave must be from planet ZOINK.
Nitefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #13
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
It was hilarious when he realized the whole he had dug and couldn't get out of it
Just because he didn't get out of it doesn't mean he couldn't have. In fact laws outlawing guns would work EXACTLY like outlawing drug laws work. They work great on the law abiding. They don't have drugs either. The point is those who don't care about the laws get drugs anyway. Same would be true with guns only with worse consequences for the law abiding. It doesn't hurt the drugless person who obeys the law if people who don't obey it have drugs but the gunless person who obeys the law would be in a spot when the criminal has a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidgit View Post
New Zealand . . . don't you mean Planet Z
Yes the selective editing by the Daily Show to make a local gun organization rep was funny but don't be a rube. What they did was ask him leading questions (most of which they cut out) like "suppose they did work, and nobody with criminal intent ever bought a gun because of the law, and suppose that they all obeyed the "gun free zones" so kids would be safe" and the guy responds like he did with "yeah, maybe on planet x or something that might work but here we have to deal with reality"

and then they cut and splice that over the Australia part of the interview even though several segments apart.

Funny. sure. but it is a poor substitute for any rational discussion. And yes I realize that wasn't your intent with the thread but you could use selective editing to make anyone look foolish on any subject, if you were so inclined

Oh and it is especially hilarious when they talk about how much down "gun homicide" and "gun suicide" is since the law was passed without acknowledging both actually ticked up by "all causes" in the 5 yrs after gun confiscation. I'm sure the woman who was beaten to death with a bat and the parent of the suicidal child they found hanging from the bannister are both thrilled that they weren't shot
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #14
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
Just because he didn't get out of it doesn't mean he couldn't have. In fact laws outlawing guns would work EXACTLY like outlawing drug laws work. They work great on the law abiding. They don't have drugs either. The point is those who don't care about the laws get drugs anyway. Same would be true with guns only with worse consequences for the law abiding. It doesn't hurt the drugless person who obeys the law if people who don't obey it have drugs but the gunless person who obeys the law would be in a spot when the criminal has a gun.

Yes the selective editing by the Daily Show to make a local gun organization rep was funny but don't be a rube. What they did was ask him leading questions (most of which they cut out) like "suppose they did work, and nobody with criminal intent ever bought a gun because of the law, and suppose that they all obeyed the "gun free zones" so kids would be safe" and the guy responds like he did with "yeah, maybe on planet x or something that might work but here we have to deal with reality"

and then they cut and splice that over the Australia part of the interview even though several segments apart.

Funny. sure. but it is a poor substitute for any rational discussion. And yes I realize that wasn't your intent with the thread but you could use selective editing to make anyone look foolish on any subject, if you were so inclined
Don't be a rube

Of course it was heavily edited . . . I don't think anyone is suggesting it has anything to do with serious gun debate . . . well, maybe one person
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #15
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Don't be a rube

Of course it was heavily edited . . . I don't think anyone is suggesting it has anything to do with serious gun debate . . . well, maybe one person
Exactly!

"It was heavily edited? You don't say!"
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:17 PM   #16
Andrew
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.
Adamantium Plus Member

I'm sure a civil war would errupt in America if the government tried to ban firearms.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #17
risingstar
Jedi Order

That was a great clip!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:01 AM   #18
Rocket
Art of Mod

Darrin you can't POSSIBLY believe that was edited?!?!

Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #19
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I'm sure a civil war would errupt in America if the government tried to ban firearms.
The people with guns against the people without?

Man, that would be a short war...
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #20
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Don't be a rube

Sorry fellas, should have given you more credit. I would just hate to think that anyone would look at that as an accurate portrayal of the people and rational arguments against the types of gun control Australia has chosen, as I can assure you they are not.

Japanese Americans, despite having much much higher access to guns, commit murder in America at a rate just under half that of their homeland bretheren, despite them having virtually no access to guns...maybe Jon Stewart should look into it.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote