Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 01-16-2020, 03:43 PM   #11
Rycher
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLothos View Post
Since the ukshaun experiment, I am still considering the weather strip option. Right now I'm doing the slow process of adding lights and adjusting shelf heights (which is tough to do before getting pieces in hand as the company listed dimensions for pieces usually are terribly wrong/inaccurate or incomplete).

I'm also still a bit concerned about the aesthetics of seeing the strips through the glass. I'm having a hard enough time dealing with seeing the LED strips (but I'm getting used to them and they don't distract that much). Maybe over time the weather strips won't be that bad.
I'll cast another vote for some weather stripping. I myself used some white Frost King 1/4 inch thickness strips to solve the dust problem. Once installed, the white strips are not really noticeable, not to me anyway. I just placed them close enough to the openings to block the passage of air and have had very little dust issues. And the dust that does get in could be attributed to the opening and closing of the cabinet door.

If you find the LEDs distracting, you might also want to look into LED extrusions that will diffuse the light and create a more uniform light source so that you can't pick out the individual diodes. You'll still see the light bar, but it makes for a cleaner look in my opinion.
Rycher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:40 PM   #12
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rycher View Post
I'll cast another vote for some weather stripping. I myself used some white Frost King 1/4 inch thickness strips to solve the dust problem. Once installed, the white strips are not really noticeable, not to me anyway. I just placed them close enough to the openings to block the passage of air and have had very little dust issues. And the dust that does get in could be attributed to the opening and closing of the cabinet door.

If you find the LEDs distracting, you might also want to look into LED extrusions that will diffuse the light and create a more uniform light source so that you can't pick out the individual diodes. You'll still see the light bar, but it makes for a cleaner look in my opinion.
Thanks for the lead, I went ahead and added a package to my cart to try out.

It's not the LEDs themselves, just the adhesive strips on the glass. I try to line them close to the metal bars, which seems to work decently.
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:11 PM   #13
Rycher
Birdman

Quote:
Thanks for the lead, I went ahead and added a package to my cart to try out.

It's not the LEDs themselves, just the adhesive strips on the glass. I try to line them close to the metal bars, which seems to work decently.
They're certainly cheap enough. I think you'll dig the look once you got it all set up.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:40 PM   #14
eternalblue02

@UK Shaun or anyone that has some lighting knowledge.

I'm starting to shift over to moducase for my statues. My current displays do not have any lighting. Moducase offers warm white and pure white lighting. Warm has a yellowish tint and pure is a soft white. What do you guys recommend when displaying collectibles? If it's personal preference I'd love to hear your reasoning's why you selected the bulb colors you did.

Oh and LED strips or spotlights?
eternalblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:46 PM   #15
jeremydmc
Black Panther

Quote:
Whaaat? I think I saw the Dioders at Ikea last time we went, but I'm not sure. Depending on how well the LED strips illuminate the area, I might add Dioders to just the wood top (well, if Ikea still has them available when I go). They seem to be a good idea for anything on the top shelves, but how does it work for seeing the lower shelves?

I've seen some displays where they've used these for the top of each shelf... and seeing the wires below the glass triggers my OCD. I like the Detolfs because with the all around glass, you can see in each cube from nearly any angle without restrictions. Those wires interrupt that flow for me.

Oh, and speaking of crazy Ikea listings on Amazon... the Detolf on there is hilarious.
LOL, That Detolf price is ridiculous!

I only have Dioder's on the very top of mine. But I also put mirrors on the back of mine so the light is multiplied. I will have to take some pics for you when it gets dark. I can see all the way to the bottom pretty nicely and only have the wires at the top that I run to the back of the unit and the mirror covers them up since you cannot see out the back.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:51 PM   #16
Rycher
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalblue02 View Post
@UK Shaun or anyone that has some lighting knowledge.

I'm starting to shift over to moducase for my statues. My current displays do not have any lighting. Moducase offers warm white and pure white lighting. Warm has a yellowish tint and pure is a soft white. What do you guys recommend when displaying collectibles? If it's personal preference I'd love to hear your reasoning's why you selected the bulb colors you did.

Oh and LED strips or spotlights?
If we're talking color temp, I myself use LED strips with a color temp of 5000k. I would imagine that corresponds to moducase "pure white". Others will refer to it as "cool white". This will give a very clean, almost clinical lighting to your collectibles. Some people might find it cold and uninviting, but I think this sort of light fits with what we're trying to do here -- to showcase statues and not necessarily illuminate a room. And I personally would go strips over spotlights for a more homogeneous distribution of light.

Here are some pics of the 5k lights in a detolf I took a while back. I elected to run two sets of strip lights along the y axis versus the x or z axis, as I thought it would be less distracting from a straight-on perspective.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1864.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	128168   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1870.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	128169  
Old 01-18-2020, 06:03 PM   #17
eternalblue02

Thanks for the information and the pictures. I think I'll go with the cool white LED strips. I don't want the Christmas color effect with the warm white and I'd be afraid with spotlights they'd have to be adjusted perfectly to brighten the pieces. I could see them being useful for a Besta or something that doesn't have transparent sides, etc.

I had the P1 Ledger Joker and wasn't too thrilled with how the spotlights looked on him. Any other out of the box ideas I'm all ears.
eternalblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:43 PM   #18
Asgard
Deadman

I prefer color temp between 2500 - 3000. I like this more as the 5000k clinical lighting. Colors and shadows on the statues look nicer.
But that's just my opinion
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:40 AM   #19
AlexLothos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
LOL, That Detolf price is ridiculous!

I only have Dioder's on the very top of mine. But I also put mirrors on the back of mine so the light is multiplied. I will have to take some pics for you when it gets dark. I can see all the way to the bottom pretty nicely and only have the wires at the top that I run to the back of the unit and the mirror covers them up since you cannot see out the back.
I skimmed some of the comments and it seems to be worth it for people who are 2+ hours away from an Ikea store. They are saying that price is cheaper than getting one delivered from Ikea.

Yes, please take pics when you get a chance. I thought I was the only one with daytime reflection problems for photos!

I think I will probably go this route... another thing to add to the next Ikea trip (I need a new/smaller coffee table, wife needs another Detolf, I might need a few more poster frames).
Old 01-19-2020, 03:49 AM   #20
AlexLothos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rycher View Post
Here are some pics of the 5k lights in a detolf I took a while back. I elected to run two sets of strip lights along the y axis versus the x or z axis, as I thought it would be less distracting from a straight-on perspective.
I have these stuck to the glass, but this is a much better way to do it. Do you have any more pics of this set up?

I don't think I can go this route with using U-bolts to alter the shelf heights.