Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Iron Studios

Old 05-18-2019, 04:24 AM   #31
nameivom
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
The big and small wings can go in on either side.

You can always try to thicken up the peg by applying some sort of coating on it to get a tighter fit.
Actually this isn't my experience. I did have issues with two and swapped them. The holes actually are slightly different so the wings are not interchangeable at least from what I can see. There is tiny ramps for a few of the wings that slot in and apply pressure within the hole which keeps them in place. My very first try two of the wings were very loose. My second try, swapping them around and matching the hole cut out with the pin end of the wings worked. I did have to apply some pressure to get them in all the way but since none have fallen out.

I am wondering if this is going to become a thing with Iron Studios? They are re-releasing these and they also re-released the earlier Star Wars 1/10 scale line. They advertise these as limited but don't include edition numbers.
nameivom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:40 AM   #32
pdenham
Teen Titans

I'm happy for the people that missed them to get a second chance.

I have my nits to pick with Wasp beyond just the wings...but they are nits, and far from deal killers.

Ant-man, OTOH, I think is a complete blast. It one of the most fun pieces to muse over since the Bowen hammer spinning Thor.
Clear resin can be a magical thing when it's employed well, and they did a fantastic job with it here.

I have both of these performing totem function on top of my computer speakers, and they fit these surfaces perfectly.

*apologies for the crappy camera phone quality of the pics
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:27 AM   #33
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

I just wish the pose on the production piece for Wasp wasn’t so twisted. I would’ve preferred for it to look like the prototype.

They should update their photos for Wasp, otherwise it’s false advertising. Especially given that they now know exactly how it’s going to turn out.

Production:-

Click image for larger version

Name:	491CCD8F-935F-4ED5-9AA6-5C0B160CF517.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	123413

Name:	652CDE8B-4FA1-45D8-8E0D-DD19FF1BE0C1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	123411

Prototype:-

Name:	23C41AA9-4279-4854-BA30-957C9233E384.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	123412
Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:25 PM   #34
vKevinnn
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I think from the side production looks more dynamic but I do like the front on of the proto. I think they made the right choice though. I think it might not look dynamic enough from different angels.

I wonder what the amount of monetary gain they have from a free advertisement on Instagram from the actor of a character they’re selling and her supporting it.
vKevinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:44 PM   #35
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
I just wish the pose on the production piece for Wasp wasn’t so twisted. I would’ve preferred for it to look like the prototype.
I felt the same way. I was very disappointed when I saw photos of the actual production pieces..
Enough so, that I was seriously considering cancelling both. As much as I liked the Ant-man, the appeal of these was as a pair of characters, not just solos.

So relieved I didn't though.

After looking at Wasp for a while now, I think the change might have been related to weight distribution and balancing the figure better- or possibly to differentiate the pose more from A-m's. The original pose for Wasp was much clearer and more direct, charging forward, just like A-m's is.

The revised pose is more confused. Is she trying to move forward and getting blown backwards? It's definitely not as strong as the original.

Since I'm being critical I'll go ahead and say my other big (minor) nit with both these is the use of clear resin for the explosions on the bases.

When I originally saw the photo of these, I thought those orange blobs were supposed to represent insect larva sacs.
Between the color choices used and the specular highlights from the clear resin, nothing about those say "explosions" to me.

Years from now, if I'm feeling industrious or bored I might try to repaint and refinish them (I've also considered dusting them with talcum to reduce the shine).

Fortunately the statues are small enough that my eye only really focuses on the figures anyway.

Overall, even with the quibbles, I'm extremely happy with them. I'm even considering ordering spares while the second edition is open for PO's.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:41 AM   #36
Thorondor_33
Blue Falcon

Cool pics pdenham. Your Ant-Man looks great, so happy I could order one after missing out originally.
Thorondor_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:25 AM   #37
vudoo1979
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

I am so glad they opened up a second preorder on these
vudoo1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:27 PM   #38
desertdragon
Sinister Six

Just picked up my second edition / batch Wasp - aside from the wings being a bit problematic to attach, the sculpt is very well done, and my piece is beautifully executed - all in all a fine addition to the series I think...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wasp 1 sm.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	127902   Click image for larger version

Name:	wasp 2 sm.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	127903   Click image for larger version

Name:	wasp 3 sm.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	127904   Click image for larger version

Name:	wasp 4 sm.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	127905   Click image for larger version

Name:	wasp 5 sm.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	127906  

desertdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:33 PM   #39
Thorondor_33
Blue Falcon

My second batch Ant-Man shipped yesterday. Expected to arrive next week!
Thorondor_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:19 AM   #40
chronos1919
Nightwing

Excellent pictures. They inspired me to order Ant-Man and Wasp. The $25 coupons SS hands out didn't hurt either. $90 each is more than fair.
chronos1919 is offline   Reply With Quote