Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 04-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #31
iceprince_x
Deadman

What a selfish and egotistical act this artist did! He not only tarnished the comic but also what it stands for. SHAME ON YOU!
iceprince_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:21 AM   #32
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Sarri View Post
But you are. You are turning a thread that exposes the evils of religious intolerance of one single artist into an attack on religious beliefs in general. Isn't that by itself the clear definition of religious intolerance?

Believe what you like but be mindful of those around you. There are plenty Malaysian members in this forum, and for them, what's happening in their country is not a trivial matter.
That is not what I did at all, people are entitled to their beliefs (and opinions on those said beliefs) whether they be atheist, agnostic or religious.

I never once attacked Malaysian people or even mentioned Malaysia at all so I don't know what your inferring from a broad post about religious content in the media. Given the aggressive way you just shot down a legitimate question over the content of the thread, I would question your right to use the word 'attack'.

I'd appreciate if you didn't try and make my post into something it wasn't.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #33
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
That is not what I did at all, people are entitled to their beliefs (and opinions on those said beliefs) whether they be atheist, agnostic or religious.

I never once attacked Malaysian people or even mentioned Malaysia at all so I don't know what your inferring from a broad post about religious content in the media. Given the aggressive way you just shot down a legitimate question over the content of the thread, I would question your right to use the word 'attack'.

I'd appreciate if you didn't try and make my post into something it wasn't.
My post was directed towards everyone critzing religious beliefs here, and not intended to shame you. I believe that this is not the time or the place for this never ending debate.

However, it is important to know the context of what's happening in Malaysia to fully understand the implications of Syaf's actions. For our westerner point of view it is just a matter of free speech. For them and for other parts of the world where religious persecution is live and well, it is a matter of life and death. We need to keep things in perspective.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #34
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
My post was directed towards everyone critzing religious beliefs here, and not intended to shame you. I believe that this is not the time or the place for this never ending debate.

However, it is important to know the context of what's happening in Malaysia to fully understand the implications of Syaf's actions. For our westerner point of view it is just a matter of free speech. For them and for other parts of the world where religious persecution is live and well, it is a matter of life and death. We need to keep things in perspective.
Fair enough.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:21 PM   #35
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
Not just practise it, but administer it to keep down the poor and try to prevent scientific and medical advancements. That's my biggest problem with religion.

That and the fact that ever single religious documents preach tolerance and equality, yet most find them as weapons to beat people with.
Yeah, which ties into how people interact with and use religion. Religion is only what the people make of it. It's merely a concept until people do with it what they will. I think the real question is, can we as a people responsibly handle religion? I think many can, but I'm not completely sold, for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I would talk your ear off ordinarily, but I won't bring down this thread too much. I'm hoping to impress Matches Malone as I know he doesn't really expect us to make good on his little experiment

I'll just say this, when it comes to religion, nothing is so simply or black and white. I have many issues with many aspects of it and can also appreciate the better aspects. Although I should also make clear that while in recent years, I've found myself being more vocally critical of it and genuinely enjoying the debates I sometimes find myself in. I don't even consider myself to be atheist (borderline maybe) and I have absolutely no issue with people choosing to believe whatever they wish, so long as they don't wish their beliefs to influence government or the education system etc. I'm very open minded, but I'm ultimately a man of science and evidence based reason. So while I don't believe it is the case currently, I can't count out the possibility that there was some kind of creator, I just personally very much doubt it was any of the various Gods that mankind worships. Things like this just make me a little sad that there is only one human race, and yet we're still dividing other over the different beliefs (or lack of) that we're taught as kids. You'd like to think that things like comics would be safe from it...
That's good, because I would win.

You're right...nothing is black and white when it comes to this topic. You and I do seem to have a very similar stance on the whole thing.

Anywho...time to climb out of the rabbit hole.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:35 PM   #36
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I read the article and I'm still confused. Someone please spell it out for me. Was this artist of one religion putting anti-religious stuff in his books against a different one?
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:06 PM   #37
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
I read the article and I'm still confused. Someone please spell it out for me. Was this artist of one religion putting anti-religious stuff in his books against a different one?
Artist is Muslim and put anti-Christian and anti-Jew references.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:17 PM   #38
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
he pretty much hid a message directing folks to a specific passage in the Quran that is about not trusting Jews and Christians or something along those lines.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:34 PM   #39
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Believe what you like but be mindful of those around you. There are plenty Malaysian members in this forum, and for them, what's happening in their country is not a trivial matter.
Ardian Syaf is Indonesian, and he was referencing events happening in Indonesia.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #40
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Ardian Syaf is Indonesian, and he was referencing events happening in Indonesia.
Thanks for the correction. I got the countries mixed up.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote