Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 10-14-2007, 01:34 PM   #21
Darth Torment
What is a free gift? Aren't all gifts free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sith_rising View Post
Considering it's 50 bucks, it's still better than that "wet dog" Attakus Chewbacca that's 400 bucks. Someone should have told their sculptors that he doesn't wear product in his fur!

First of all the Koto Chewie is a JOKE- I like some of the other stuff from Koto- dont get me wrong, I'm not one to be "loyal" to one brand of collectible by any means, but to say Kotos Chewie is better than the Attakus Chewie the answer of someone who hasn't seen it in person, and by someone who is letting his opinion of the products price point determine his/her opinion of the accuracy/quality of the item as a piece of art/collectible in itself.

Your remark about his hairdo? It is like that because the Attakus statue is based off ANH, before Chewie was given the stylish "flock of seagulls" he has and is better recognized for in ESB and ROTJ (The style that is used on the GG Chewie statue for example). Koto also uses this ANH hair style in their piece actually. If you are referring to the strands of hair on his body as it is sculpted, please do not compare Kotos to Attakus. They are in a different league when it comes to the effort invested in sculpting the hair. It would be better to compare the GG version to Attakus in this regard as they both attempted the same technique to simulate the fur.

The Koto Cheiwe not only doesn't resemble the character, but the colours are wrong, and I am pretty sure Chewbacca doesn't suffer from Gigantism/Elephantitus of the forehead.
Darth Torment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:32 PM   #22
Slave1Pilot
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Torment View Post

First of all the Koto Chewie is a JOKE- I like some of the other stuff from Koto- dont get me wrong, I'm not one to be "loyal" to one brand of collectible by any means, but to say Kotos Chewie is better than the Attakus Chewie the answer of someone who hasn't seen it in person, and by someone who is letting his opinion of the products price point determine his/her opinion of the accuracy/quality of the item as a piece of art/collectible in itself.

Your remark about his hairdo? It is like that because the Attakus statue is based off ANH, before Chewie was given the stylish "flock of seagulls" he has and is better recognized for in ESB and ROTJ (The style that is used on the GG Chewie statue for example). Koto also uses this ANH hair style in their piece actually. If you are referring to the strands of hair on his body as it is sculpted, please do not compare Kotos to Attakus. They are in a different league when it comes to the effort invested in sculpting the hair. It would be better to compare the GG version to Attakus in this regard as they both attempted the same technique to simulate the fur.

The Koto Cheiwe not only doesn't resemble the character, but the colours are wrong, and I am pretty sure Chewbacca doesn't suffer from Gigantism/Elephantitus of the forehead.

some pretty witty stuff here DT, but seriously I love debating which statue is better, why and what aspects different collectors enjoy about different products, but the koto Chewie vs. Attakus Chewie is not even worth it. Its not collectors having a interesting discussion about the different options available its just brand-bashing . Have you heard the saying "A picture is worth a 1000 words", well that pic of the koto chewie is worth a whole debate.
Slave1Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:35 PM   #23
sith_rising
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Sounds like the only brand loyalty around here is to Attakus. You can't offend the guys who foolishly spent half a thousand dollars for a poorly-sculpted statue just because it's taller than anything else and weighs a ton. Considering that Chewie is 50 bucks, it's a better purchase. Attakus Leia is a joke, whereas the Koto and Gentle Giant's are hundreds of dollars less, and look like the film's character, and not a Gelfling.
sith_rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:55 PM   #24
Darth Torment

Quote:
Sounds like the only brand loyalty around here is to Attakus.
In your attempt to bash others, this statement alone and the tone of the rest of your messages imply that you have a loyalty to some brands of collectibles other than Attakus, so what you are accusing other of doing, you are infact guilty of

Quote:
You can't offend the guys who foolishly spent half a thousand dollars for a poorly-sculpted statue just because it's taller than anything else and weighs a ton.
Your pesonal attacks to the collectors in this statement alone makes it difficult to take your views constructively I must say
But,
Truth be told, I own more Koto statues than Attakus statues
Actually, I don't even own this statue, nor do I intend to, so it has nothing do with with "fighting for a side I invested more money into" debate. Also, this statue doesn't cost $500.00. You are judging the statue on it's weight and height? Are you sure it is the craftsman ship you have issues with?

Quote:
Considering that Chewie is 50 bucks, it's a better purchase. .
Again, it is apparent that you are using cost as a determination of quality- which do not always go hand in hand. Attakus Leia, Luke X-wing are examples of this and Kotobukiya Chewie and Bespin Luke are also examples of this on the filp side of this coin, relatively speaking

Quote:
Attakus Leia is a joke, whereas the Koto and Gentle Giant's are hundreds of dollars less, and look like the film's character, and not a Gelfling.
You are right on that one. There are some pretty sucky Attakus statues, and that is one of them. But again, the Attakus Leia and GG Leia are really not that far apart on costs if you look it up. If we are talking Slave Leia specifcally here in your statement- my opinion is that all three companies did a pretty bad job on this character.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:45 PM   #25
Darth Torment

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnonfire View Post
Found what I was looking for so I'll ask a new question:

Which Star Wars Koto statue should I get?

1. Darth Maul
2. Ep. II Clone
3. 501st
4. General Grievous
In an effort to get this back on topic,
I would say:

1. 501st clone- Awesome in person! (I just wish the 501, utapau and shock all had different poses...shame on Koto for doing that)

2. Darth Maul- One of Koto's great pieces and and excellent face sculpt. The koto Maul has one of the most dynamic poses for a Maul statue as well.

3. General Grievous- This would be my first choice, but the reason I put it at #3 is becuase of price. Wait for this one to drop considerably. This one looks like it will be superb, but @ over $100.00, nothing Koto makes is worth this much. When I can get this for under $50.00 I will get this one for sure.

4. EpII clone - GREAT from the neck down. The paint app and pose are awesome on this, but the Helmet is not accurate which turns me off from this one
Old 10-14-2007, 09:58 PM   #26
sith_rising
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Yeah, with Koto I'd say never pay over 100.00 bucks unless you're getting two statues, like the McQuarrie or maybe if you got a Grievous/Kenobi set. With a little late-night Ebay sniping and lots of patience, you can find just about any of them (with the exception of the 2 Sandtrooper variants, which can bring out the vultures).
sith_rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:57 AM   #27
spawnonfire

Quote:
In an effort to get this back on topic,
I would say:

1. 501st clone- Awesome in person! (I just wish the 501, utapau and shock all had different poses...shame on Koto for doing that)

2. Darth Maul- One of Koto's great pieces and and excellent face sculpt. The koto Maul has one of the most dynamic poses for a Maul statue as well.

3. General Grievous- This would be my first choice, but the reason I put it at #3 is becuase of price. Wait for this one to drop considerably. This one looks like it will be superb, but @ over $100.00, nothing Koto makes is worth this much. When I can get this for under $50.00 I will get this one for sure.

4. EpII clone - GREAT from the neck down. The paint app and pose are awesome on this, but the Helmet is not accurate which turns me off from this one
Thanks for bringing it back on topic

Thanks for the list too. It's quite helpful. I'm going to wait for GG to drop in price but do you think I would actually be able to get it for $50 or less? Maul will most likely be the first one I get then 501st, then the AOTC Clone.
spawnonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:39 AM   #28
Darth Torment

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnonfire View Post
Thanks for bringing it back on topic

Thanks for the list too. It's quite helpful. I'm going to wait for GG to drop in price but do you think I would actually be able to get it for $50 or less? Maul will most likely be the first one I get then 501st, then the AOTC Clone.
I only paid full price for a Koto once and regretted it. Some of them are great, but Koto should not demand more than 50- its just not the caliber of collectible that requests around $100 IMO. Every other one I got dirt cheap
Maul for $25, Bly for $5 (I know, crazy), Vader I for $25, Vader II for $55 and EpII clone for $40..
I am picking up a Scout Koto for $35...

So just based on this, I would think that GG Koto will eventually drop.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:20 PM   #29
spawnonfire

Quote:
I only paid full price for a Koto once and regretted it. Some of them are great, but Koto should not demand more than 50- its just not the caliber of collectible that requests around $100 IMO. Every other one I got dirt cheap
Maul for $25, Bly for $5 (I know, crazy), Vader I for $25, Vader II for $55 and EpII clone for $40..
I am picking up a Scout Koto for $35...

So just based on this, I would think that GG Koto will eventually drop.
Is this off Ebay or local places?
spawnonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:49 AM   #30
Darth Torment

Ebay, forums, local etc. - a few different places