Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #61
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
how come dc fans are supposed to respect marvel, but marvel fans love to disrespect dc????
I've never tried to do that, Bats. I consider myself a comics fan, first and foremost, but I happen to love more Marvel stuff than DC.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:21 PM   #62
RichBamf

Quote:
how come dc fans are supposed to respect marvel, but marvel fans love to disrespect dc????

anyway, good the money is up. now maybe the next few movies will have increase in quality and not just be "fun movies" but great films

anyway, the best comics right now are all independent titles

walking dead, fables, y the last man etc, lol :-)
Those three titles you mentioned are some of the best.

Image's 'Invincible' is pretty good too.

I really feel sorry for people who don't branch out to other comic pastures.

Didn't mean you Neil!
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #63
rilynil

I love Walking Dead! That completely rocks. I also love Moonstone's Kolchak stories, although they come out infrequently. As a guilty pleasure, I also love the Friday the 13th comics. I enjoy those much more than I ever did the films.

I'm a huge fan of horror, as if you couldn't tell.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:28 PM   #64
cougartrace
I like !%&!%&!%&!%&

horror comics
cougartrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:23 PM   #65
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
I honestly think Quesada's tenure may be looked back on as a one of the great periods in comics. Shooter was reviled by fans and creators alike during his tenure. Yet now he is considered a genius and the books that came out during his tenure are golden. Though we only focus on the great stuff. There was a lot more junk then crap back then, we just choose to look at it through nostalgic glasses.

As I said before, I agree with you about his treatment of fans, but I think it goes both ways. I also think he has toned down a lot. He is very contradictory, he does Joe Friday's for two years, but also blows off the old school fan.
Please don't misunderstand me--I think Shooter was an idiot. I am not a fan of his, nor do I think he was a genius. He was just in charge when some (and I agree--only some!) good things were happening at Marvel.

I think the same holds true for Quesada--he's there, his hand is in some stuff here and there, but the amazing work is being done by the creative teams, with his rubber stamp. Q gets some credit for putting some teams together, of course, but that doesn't mean he's responsible.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:25 PM   #66
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:

anyway, good the money is up. now maybe the next few movies will have increase in quality and not just be "fun movies" but great films

anyway, the best comics right now are all independent titles

walking dead, fables, y the last man etc, lol :-)

I'm a Marvel fan (primarily), but I have a huge respect for DC and its history. Most of the comics I read as a kid were Superman comics, some Batman. I only got into Marvel really as a teenager.

I think there's enmity and respect on both sides of the "company aisle."
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:58 PM   #67
Crom
Loki

By the way, the stories I mentioned are what is held up by fans when trying to demonstrate what comics are capable of, they aren't really my personal favorites.

I still think the Claremont/Byrne X-Men are the greatest comics I have ever read. I am a diehard superhero fan and completely unapologetic about it. I just think Watchmen, Dark Knight, Sandman, Preacher and other stories are considered gateway comics.

You hand them out to friends who might be curious about comics. I just don't think Marvel has something like that. A self-contained story that can be found in libraries and might even be required reading in college some day.

Marvel has some incredible stories, but they always seem to fall within the series as part of a greater story.
Crom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:59 PM   #68
rilynil

After a comic-reading layoff for the better part of 25 years, I'm just to glad to be enjoying comics as much as I was when I was 12. I can't say that about many other things.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:11 PM   #69
biglebowski9999
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
LOL. Who is disprespecting DC?

Post # 2 in this thread, you said "marvel profits on the rise
marvel quality on films and merchandise on the low, lol"

Post #3, Krypton Knight (hmmm, maybe a Superman fan) said "Marvel is the biggest pimp out there. They don't care what you want to with their characters, just as long as you can pony up the cash for the license."

Obvious cheapshots that added nothing to the thread...sounds like maybe you have it backwards about the respect issue?

Quote:
I would be more concerned w/ DC putting out more than just Batman & Superman movies. You can only dig into that Vertigo Comics well so many times...
biglebowski9999 is offline   Reply With Quote