Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-24-2019, 01:21 PM   #2531
supermetroid
Teen Titans

I agree that the character depth and developments as well as the politics is the real meat of the show while the dragons, sex and fantasy are the icing. And of course it's gone downhill a bit after the first 4 seasons, but it's still pretty much better than any other shows out now that I know of. It hasn't fell off a cliff like Dexter and Walking Dead where you have to force yourself to watch it because the characters are still great and you want to see what happens in GoT.

I'm trying to think of some shows that were good to great from beginning to end. Breaking Bad, The Shield, The Wire and The Sopranos come to mind although the latter 2 fell off a little they're still really good.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:05 PM   #2532
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I believe the last three seasons have suffered in writing for two reasons: No Source Material and GRRM doesn't even really know for sure how it wants to end it all.

I would not be surprised in the least if GRRM changes the end based on how the series conclusion (based on what he told HBO peeps) is received OR just because he feels like it. Where we are in the books lends itself to the possibility of a radically different path. I wouldn't be opposed to that if it happened.

But I want to go on record again to say that fat, lazy man-child frat boy will die before he finishes the books. He has cast his literature fans to the curb. Ugh.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:26 PM   #2533
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermetroid View Post
I'm trying to think of some shows that were good to great from beginning to end. Breaking Bad, The Shield, The Wire and The Sopranos come to mind although the latter 2 fell off a little they're still really good.
My list includes Mad Men and The Americans.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:31 PM   #2534
Demona
Martian Manhunter

It can be things that aren't dramas too - I think that Seinfeld and Everybody Loves Raymond were good from beginning to end and built up characters' history.

ITA with Breaking Bad and The Americans. Flawless. LOST would have been up there except that HORRIBLE last season. OZ was great too, but went too left the last season.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:33 PM   #2535
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I believe the last three seasons have suffered in writing for two reasons: No Source Material and GRRM doesn't even really know for sure how it wants to end it all.

I would not be surprised in the least if GRRM changes the end based on how the series conclusion (based on what he told HBO peeps) is received OR just because he feels like it. Where we are in the books lends itself to the possibility of a radically different path. I wouldn't be opposed to that if it happened.

But I want to go on record again to say that fat, lazy man-child frat boy will die before he finishes the books. He has cast his literature fans to the curb. Ugh.
George is one of sweetest authors I've ever met. He gave me and the world five superb novels and a rich complex world. I'm not entitled to his labor and I feel bad for how the success has paralyzed him so often.

The ending, if we get it, will 99% be different. There is no way it cannot be given the massive diverging path the show went on.

I do hope I get to see it, and it doesn't go the way of Dune and Herbert. Maybe meet in the middle and goes the way of WoT and Jordan. Daniel Abraham would be a potential candidate working with Elio Garcia.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:34 PM   #2536
Augen
The Hulk

I need to watch the last season of The Americans.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:35 PM   #2537
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I need to watch the last season of The Americans.
You do. The finale is one of the best episodes of TV that I've ever seen.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:46 PM   #2538
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
You do. The finale is one of the best episodes of TV that I've ever seen.
I agree completely.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:57 PM   #2539
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermetroid View Post
Deadwood
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:03 PM   #2540
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

The Americans was amazing all the way.

I am also a huge fan of Farscape and the newer Battlestar series. I can re-watch them over and over again.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote