Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 11-05-2019, 10:13 PM   #1
Wizard
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Regrets, I’ve had a Few

So, I’m coming up on five years of statue collecting, which is how long it has taken me to figure this hobby/art out that fits my sanity. I don’t see myself getting out anytime soon because there will always be something to pull me back in (apologies to Pacino). But, I now have more focus and discipline.

Focus - Superman, Bruce Lee and specific video game characters.

Discipline - try to not buy outside of my focus, no matter how cool. I have been largely successful on this bypassing statues that I would have purchased earlier.

My questions for everyone out there:

1. What is your biggest regret purchase? You take it out the box(es), assemble, and like it...but a month or two later, you question yourself on the purchase. And you sell it.

2. What is your biggest regret in not purchasing and now that statue is either non-existent on the resell market or crazy expensive...and you had a 100% opportunity to purchase it when it was first available?

3. What one, and only one statue, will you never part with?

For me:

1. XM Studios Thanos. Great looking statue, but I have no affinity history for the character. I purchased in a mixture of the XM Studios “new car smell” and the piece just looking cool.

2. XM Studios Storm. Coulda, shoulda, but didn’t. I know, I know, this is outside my “Focus,” but that Storm in my collection would be great, but now it’s selling for $2K plus.

3. Hard choice between 3 of my statues, but I have to go with Eric Sosa’s Kingdom Come Superman. Just a brilliant piece.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:38 PM   #2
dao2
Cyclops

Hey fellow marylander!

1. The Sony God of War, couldn't pass up that amazing price... regret it.

2. Honestly nothing really, better versions of pretty much everything come out nowadays. Tsume One Punch Man maybe? I expect to find it at retailish price later or something better though.

3: Customs are hard to part with since they don't sell well :P I also have a lot of custom stuff I don't want to part with even if it didn't. For regular licensed I'm not sure there is anything if I was offered enough...
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:42 AM   #3
pppccclll
The Herculoids

Good topic

1. There's been many, hard to think of one in particular. I bought two Blitzway Marilyn Monroe statues a couple years ago and while the statue looks amazing from the photos I've seen, I have no need for a Marilyn Monroe statue and they aren't flipping like I though they would.

2. I had a Hajime Sorayama Commando statue that I actually sold to Andy Bergholtz in person. While it was awesome meeting Andy, I kind of regret selling it when I did as it goes for quite a bit on the market.

3. Clayburn Moore's 1997 Witchblade statue. This statue started it all for me.

honorable mention for 3.

Prototype CS Moore Dawn 20th Anniversary statue

Custom Mike James' "Bride" statue painted by Bruce the Brush (not sure if he's around anymore)
pppccclll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:42 AM   #4
Wizard
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I came close to both, the Sony God of War and Blitzway’s Marilyn Monroe. I didn’t pull the trigger on either because I have the Gaming Heads Kratos on Throne statue; and for Marilyn, I kept delaying to the point it fell off my radar.

Delay is a great tactic to buying any “want” item, but much easier said than done.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:31 AM   #5
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

This is a good and fun topic.

1. My biggest regret was buying the 1/4 Gaming Heads Fallout 4 Lone Survivor statue. I have a lot of Fallout merchandise as I love the game. This statue was going to be the jewel of my fallout collection. The paint apps were horrible on it. They sent me replacement parts that were even worse paint apps. I went back and forth with them for months trying to get a refund. They finally had me smash the statue and I got all but my Non Refundable deposit back. I think the only reason they gave me a refund was to stop me from emailing them every couple days. Horrible experience from start to finish and will never buy from them again.

2. My biggest regret for not purchasing would be the 1/4 Captain Marvel PF. I went back and forth about buying it and then they were all gone and now they are pretty pricey. One of the best statues SS has ever done IMHO.

3. The one statue I will never part with is my Adam Hughes Supergirl kit that was redone and customized by John Ficchi AKA Vince-Vell on the forums. It's the statue I always wanted and it was a hard road to get it perfect and now it's my precious. If there is ever a fire I will probably be carrying it out with me along with the girlfriend and the dogs of course. LOL
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:58 AM   #6
eternalblue02
What's another word for Thesaurus?

I started collecting with P1 ROTF Megatron. I normally collect video game soundtracks and Mega Man stuff. I had no idea this hobby existed till I saw that piece. I was under the impression that anime figures and some of the cheesier pieces you'd see at Gamestop etc. was all there was. Why not go to Walmart and just buy toys? Boy was I wrong.

I got caught in a few of the hang-ups most collectors go through the first few years but have since mellowed out and pulled back my collecting.

Biggest regret was purchasing Matrix Studios Shockwave. At the time was a great idea but was really expensive and not well made. Item came damaged in multiple spots and they threw it together so there were only 8 parts to assemble. This led to after 3 years the glue they used to deteriorate and parts would randomly fall off the statue like that scene in Arachnophobia when the spiders fall from the trees. Just a mess and to make matters worse P1 revealed theirs 6 months later.

Nothing really. I started collecting about 5-6 years ago and most things were available. I managed to snag the SS Lich King for a bit above retail. I see what it goes for now I'm glad I got it when I did. I can say the same about F4F Metal Sonic.

P1 ROTF Metatron. I already told my wife I'm going to be buried with it so she should find another lot.
eternalblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:22 AM   #7
Augen
The Hulk

1. What is your biggest regret purchase? You take it out the box(es), assemble, and like it...but a month or two later, you question yourself on the purchase. And you sell it.

Had this when I started. Bought an anime statue that liked, but doesn't fit and then shifted to larger statues.

2. What is your biggest regret in not purchasing and now that statue is either non-existent on the resell market or crazy expensive...and you had a 100% opportunity to purchase it when it was first available?

"Captain Marvel" 1:4 PF was at my local comic shop for MSRP. I loved it, but I was thinking DC only...now I'm fine having Marvel pieces I love and keep looking for her at reasonable price.

3. What one, and only one statue, will you never part with?

"Power Girl" 1:4 PF will always have a special place as it is really what got me "all in" on the hobby. Only thing that could surpass it is a 1:3 done right (come on Prime 1!)
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:23 AM   #8
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post

2. My biggest regret for not purchasing would be the 1/4 Captain Marvel PF. I went back and forth about buying it and then they were all gone and now they are pretty pricey. One of the best statues SS has ever done IMHO.
I keep hoping SS make another one, or XM makes one, with the movie being successful I feel like it has to be inevitable.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:36 AM   #9
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
"Captain Marvel" 1:4 PF was at my local comic shop for MSRP. I loved it, but I was thinking DC only...now I'm fine having Marvel pieces I love and keep looking for her at reasonable price.
The exact same reason I didn't buy immediately. I had only DC PF's at the time. I regret that now.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:50 PM   #10
goatchumby
The Herculoids

1. PCS 1/4 Chun-Li - Riding off the success of Zangief, I went full completist mode on PCS's 1/4 Street Fighter line despite not being thrilled with the proto pics. Once I saw the eyes she had to go.

2. Jessica Rabbit PF EX - I have the SE but not having that silly art print from the EX is just enough to really irk me.

3. HMO Morrigan P1 - Even if I sold off the rest of my collection this piece could easily stand alone on its own merits.
goatchumby is offline   Reply With Quote