Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Iron Studios

Old 02-16-2020, 10:15 AM   #301
danhatt
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branchead33 View Post
What do you guys think? Return base for an open/closed or just accept the new wings and move on.
It is unfortunate that Sideshow shipped the wrong statue version to you. It seems like a significant error on their part. The question I would ask is whether there is a functional difference between the base for the three options of the statue. If there is no difference and the closed wings you will receive fit the statue you have, I would avoid adding unknown variables. There is no guarantee that a different base would be any better than the one you have.
danhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:14 AM   #302
Star-struck
The Spirit

If they have extra bases they could ship to you, you could give it a try. If you'd have to return the whole piece I wouldn't, since so many are showing up broken. Plus if the shipper box says open version that's another matter. Unless they can ship you a new, correctly labeled base in a new, correctly labeled shipper, I'd just keep it like it is.
Star-struck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:15 PM   #303
aa909
The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_vasanth View Post
Mine arrived broken too..
Quote:
Open Wings fit just fine and gives the statue a majestic look. The right closed wing is wiggly and the left won't even fit!!
Ugh! Sorry about this, sounds like you have similar issues to the one I just returned. Did you buy it directly from Iron Studios? If so I recommend contacting them for a full replacement or refund. I chose to get a full refund and they were prompt with taking the return and refunding the full amount including shipping.

Hope you have better luck if you choose a replacement. Good Luck!
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:16 PM   #304
aa909
The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambasah View Post
I held my breath as I opened up my boxes (got both wing version). To my relief, nothing broken and everything fits perfect. holy moley he is impressive. to my surprise, I think I like the closed wings more.
Congrats! Sounds like you got a good one. BTW How do the pegs "feel" when you insert the wings? and have you tried doing a few swaps between open and closed to see how the pegs/keys hold up?

Post some pics!
Old 02-16-2020, 01:45 PM   #305
dr_vasanth
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Hawkman (Open & Closed Wings) Statue by Iron Studios Prime Scale 1:3 statue

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa909 View Post
Ugh! Sorry about this, sounds like you have similar issues to the one I just returned. Did you buy it directly from Iron Studios? If so I recommend contacting them for a full replacement or refund. I chose to get a full refund and they were prompt with taking the return and refunding the full amount including shipping.

Hope you have better luck if you choose a replacement. Good Luck!
I bought from Speculative Fiction. I am in the process of coordinating a replacement, which is what I want. Speculative Fiction had asked me to submit some pictures with the damages circled, which I have done. Apparently, they have forwarded the pictures to the Iron Studios representative and are waiting to hear from Iron Studios about what next? As you had said earlier, I agree that this is a 'problematic' piece with poor engineering and multiple stress points that are prone to breakages (both short and long-term). However, it's got such 'presence' that I can't bring myself to just go for the refund option. If I can snag a good replacement without flaws, I'll take my chances with potential long-term issues and be very happy with the purchase.
dr_vasanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:09 PM   #306
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa909 View Post
If you've been in this hobby long enough you know that poor QC will very much effect your appreciation for a piece. You seem particularly troubled that I returned this for a refund instead of asking for a replacement, am I right? If that's the case let me try to explain further.

As I stated earlier I own a lot of statues and from what I saw on this piece I don't think the key/peg design for the wings will survive continuous change outs over time between the open and closed wings. Given that mine arrived with one key hole already failed I didn't want a replacement of the dual wing setup. This failure probably happened at the factory when they test fitted the two sets of wings.

However if you only have one set of wings, you're likely not disassembling it other than to move it, which is a very rare occurrence. Therefore if other owners do not report the same issue as mine I will revisit buying this in the future but only with a single set of wings. Hope this helps and don't let my experience diminish your enjoyment of your statue!!

Took me almost two weeks to clear enough space to properly unpack this so I could do a quick set up just to check everything.
Unfortunately, I now know not only what you were talking about aa in regards to the engineering, but I think I now fully empathize with the seemingly abrupt change in attitude.

No matter if you get a "good one" or not, this is just not well engineered for the size and weight of these individual elements.
As soon as I find a decent image hoster, I'll upload some photos to illustrate the main problems.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:27 PM   #307
aa909
The Green Hornet

Quote:
I bought from Speculative Fiction. I am in the process of coordinating a replacement, which is what I want. Speculative Fiction had asked me to submit some pictures with the damages circled, which I have done. Apparently, they have forwarded the pictures to the Iron Studios representative and are waiting to hear from Iron Studios about what next? As you had said earlier, I agree that this is a 'problematic' piece with poor engineering and multiple stress points that are prone to breakages (both short and long-term). However, it's got such 'presence' that I can't bring myself to just go for the refund option. If I can snag a good replacement without flaws, I'll take my chances with potential long-term issues and be very happy with the purchase.
When you get the replacement swap the wings in and out several times to ensure the pegs/keys hold up. Otherwise you may have an issue when it is out of warranty which is only 30 days.

Good Luck, it is an amazing piece with lots of presence!!
Old 02-16-2020, 05:28 PM   #308
aa909
The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Took me almost two weeks to clear enough space to properly unpack this so I could do a quick set up just to check everything.
Unfortunately, I now know not only what you were talking about aa in regards to the engineering, but I think I now fully empathize with the seemingly abrupt change in attitude.

No matter if you get a "good one" or not, this is just not well engineered for the size and weight of these individual elements.
As soon as I find a decent image hoster, I'll upload some photos to illustrate the main problems.
Sorry to hear this, totally sucks when a piece you covet has some issues. Look forward to seeing your pics.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:13 PM   #309
pdenham
Teen Titans

Right now I'm feeling a mix of incredulity (at both how poorly those wing keys were designed and the QC that allowed something to ship like this), disappointment that this will probably -just like that Wolverine LSF- have to get shipped back and likely not get replaced, and rage that something so stupid and integral is going to prevent me from owning this.
Because, from what I can tell with only one of the wings in, it's more impressive than anything else I own- by orders of magnitude.

...or at least it would be if it were fully functional.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:45 PM   #310
pdenham
Teen Titans

This is going to be large pic intensive so I'm going to break it up between a couple posts and possibly use some spoiler tags.

First off, the base.

As soon as I set it in place I could tell most of it was hollow. Most concerning was how thin the wall seems on the top most ledge where the left foot is planted.
Simply running my finger across that block I can tell that this casting is thin. There is only a key for the right foot, and I was worried that if it needed to be forced down with any pressure, that when the left one hit the surface it might crack it.
Fortunately it went in smooth and flush with no real effort. The body is heavy though and definitely required both hands to steady it.

Based on what I've learned about the wing key/holes, I have serious questions about just how substantial that sole foot peg really is, and if it is going to hold up over time once the wings are attached and exerting various pressures of their own. I no longer take it for granted that they tweaked this for even weight distribution. If they didn't, over the long haul that means leaning or worse.
For the time being it seems OK.

So I got the figure itself in place. No breakage, but I did find some chipping on the wrist wraps. Disappointing because they are so well sculpted and painted that I hate to miss any of it. In reality, while it is apparent enough that a few people here (not necc. in this thread) would raise it as an issue with their dealer, in my eyes it's minor enough, and a relative simple touch up, that it just isn't worth the effort to complain about. After a few dabs of paint, I doubt I would even think about it six months from now.
Otherwise, everything looked good.

Turned out I made the same mistake as the fellow in the live unboxing vid. The cabinet the base is on is 30" high and the ceiling height is 92". With the figure in place, there's no way to get the large staff/spear in his hand. It will need to be threaded through there prior to seating him. While two people would probably be a good idea (one to guide the loose spear so that it doesn't scratch anything while the other person concentrates on getting the foot peg seated, I think anyone can get it done alone as long as they take their time.
Flying solo, I would first thread it through the hand and while it is on the floor, or the the prep area, and then wrap parts of the staff in something like bubble wrap, before attempting to lift it onto the base. That way you can still have both hands on the fig itself which is heavy enough and needs some TLC to guide it into the hole properly.
I'm not gong to bother doing it now, because no matter what I decided to do with this, it's getting boxed backed up tomorrow anyway.