Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music > Audio/Video Sales & Hot Deals Links

Old 08-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #951
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

I hope the Star Wars redux on BR this fall are done well...but even watching these in HD (like on Spike) looks really really good on a great TV
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #952
Dana P.
TRICKSTER
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Couldn't agree more on all points Tony. Everyone that I know that makes the switch says they couldn't imagine going back. I think it just boils down to how important AQ and PQ are to the viewer. Speaking for myself even if I lived in a closet I'd want my movies to look and sound as good as possible.
There's no way that I'll upgrade all my DVDs to Blu Ray, but I'm certainly going Blu from now on.

Two questions for the Blu-Ray Gang:

I'm still waiting for a good deal on Iron Man I and Iron Man II on Blu-Ray, since I "blew" it when those went on sale originally. (IM I was pre-Blu Ray days for me back then). Anyone hear anything lately? Always feel free to shoot me a PM.

Also, how did LOTR turn out picture-wise on Blu-Ray? Although if truth be told, I'll probably wait until the inevitable LOTR & Hobbit box set.

Thanks guys!
"I thought, 'What is this half horse-looking character?' By the end I said 'I get this and I like it.' My first instinct was that I was a bit unsure. He's the only one who can pick up the hammer. He's a worthy from another planet. But he looks like a horse."
Dana P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #953
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana P. View Post
There's no way that I'll upgrade all my DVDs to Blu Ray
I remember saying the same thing but eventually I sold off all my DVDs with a few exceptions. I kept my Batman The Animated Series sets, various other animated series including some more DC animated sets still unavailable on Blu and my Dawn of the Dead box set which includes all 3 versions of Romero's classic. The latter I don't ever expect to see on Blu. The crazy thing is DVDs still fetch some decent coin right now if you sell to the right place. I made just under $500 about a month ago when I dumped my remaining 150-200 titles.

Now other than new release titles I only buy the films I'm extremely fond of on Blu-ray with the occasional guilty pleasure purchase. I enjoy bargain hunting for my favorite titles. Hence this thread.

Quote:
Two questions for the Blu-Ray Gang:

I'm still waiting for a good deal on Iron Man I and Iron Man II on Blu-Ray, since I "blew" it when those went on sale originally. (IM I was pre-Blu Ray days for me back then). Anyone hear anything lately? Always feel free to shoot me a PM.
The best deal I remember on Iron Man 2 was around last Christmas for $12.99. I believe I PMd you on that deal too Dana. You should have bit.

Iron Man is another story. I never see this one dip below $19.99 for whatever reason.

Quote:
Also, how did LOTR turn out picture-wise on Blu-Ray? Although if truth be told, I'll probably wait until the inevitable LOTR & Hobbit box set.

Thanks guys!
Haven't had a chance to watch the LOTR EE set myself. The transfers have been well received for the most part. There is a bit of controversy surrounding FOTR though as it has more of a greenish hue to it than in previous releases. Regardless of anyone's stance on the PQ on that title its still considered the best representation of the film available. If you decide to wait for a complete box set including The Hobbit films (assuming they even release one) I'd say its 4-5 years away, easy. I don't know about you but I love these films way to much to keep them out of my library for that long.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #954
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Where did you end up selling your DVDs Scott?
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:50 PM   #955
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
Where did you end up selling your DVDs Scott?
f.y.e.

They sell a lot of used DVD/BDs. I was shocked at how much I got for some of my titles. Granted some were OOP like a few of the James Bond films while others were a bit rare like my Italian Horror collection and a few Criterion releases. Overall I was happy walking away with that much without the hassle of selling them individually on either eBay or amazon.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:51 AM   #956
Dana P.
TRICKSTER
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:

The best deal I remember on Iron Man 2 was around last Christmas for $12.99. I believe I PMd you on that deal too Dana. You should have bit.

Iron Man is another story. I never see this one dip below $19.99 for whatever reason.
Yeah, I blew it on IM II. Here's hoping they both get lowered relatively soon.

Quote:
Haven't had a chance to watch the LOTR EE set myself. The transfers have been well received for the most part. There is a bit of controversy surrounding FOTR though as it has more of a greenish hue to it than in previous releases. Regardless of anyone's stance on the PQ on that title its still considered the best representation of the film available. If you decide to wait for a complete box set including The Hobbit films (assuming they even release one) I'd say its 4-5 years away, easy. I don't know about you but I love these films way to much to keep them out of my library for that long.
I may not be able to hold out that long for the LOTR EE on Blu. The reason I mentioned the box set is because I read an interview with Peter Jackson a while back in which he said that the inevitable "Super Boxed Set" of LOTR and THE HOBBIT will probably have an even more extended LOTR. But that was a while ago, and who knows if that will ever happen.
"I thought, 'What is this half horse-looking character?' By the end I said 'I get this and I like it.' My first instinct was that I was a bit unsure. He's the only one who can pick up the hammer. He's a worthy from another planet. But he looks like a horse."
Dana P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #957
Marvelito

Quote:
f.y.e.

They sell a lot of used DVD/BDs. I was shocked at how much I got for some of my titles. Granted some were OOP like a few of the James Bond films while others were a bit rare like my Italian Horror collection and a few Criterion releases. Overall I was happy walking away with that much without the hassle of selling them individually on either eBay or amazon.
Good to know, I may give them a try.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #958
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Amazon's $5 to $10 sale (465 titles)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...=5336055023-20
Old 08-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #959
Marvelito

Sucker Punch for $14.99 @ Target

Still haven't seen this, should I bite?
Old 08-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #960
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
Sucker Punch for $14.99 @ Target

Still haven't seen this, should I bite?
Yes, definitely! I just got it at Best Buy on sale for $24.99 less a $10 coupon! It's a really good movie though, even if some people didn't like it.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote