Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Diamond Select

Old 04-28-2008, 07:29 AM   #11
Elia Cid
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

My general impression of Kull of Atlantis.

Hi Everyone,

My general impression of Kull of Atlantis is one of quality. It's 16 inches in height; well proportioned and very detailed. The pose is athletic but at the same time poetic with a sense of determined purpose. The parts fit well and are excellently detailed.

In my next post I will start the prepping and priming process.

So stay tuned.

Alex

P.S. My painting motto for this piece will be " Formulation ,Vitalization, Realization".

Robert E. Howard's "Kull of Atlantis" from CS Moore Studio's

The Face

The Face and hair will present a challenge. My approach to painting the face and hair is to bring out the delicate features, but at the same time the strong character Clay has imparted on it.

I will first start with the face then the eyes. In my approach, the painted face must carry its own weight (even with out eyes). If done well, once the eyes are painted in they will give the face directionality and focus, throwing it over the top.

Kull of Atlantis, white resin figure, 16" tall , from CS Moore Studios , sculpted by Claybrun Moore www.csmoorestudio.com , photos by Alex Castro
Elia Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:33 AM   #12
Alex655321
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

This is great stuff, looking forward to updates
Alex655321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:36 AM   #13
Elia Cid

The magnificent torso .

Thanks Alex stay tuned!

The Body

This, in my opinion, is where Clay really excelled on this piece. The torso is magnificent.

My goal here is to develop this wonderful physic and give it the appearance of real flesh and bones pumping blood through its veins and lower extremities, creating the illusion of soft tissue and at the same time hard as rock muscles. This is no small task.

These are just some of the challenges in bring a masterpiece to life.

Alex

Robert E. Howard's "Kull of Atlantis" from CS Moore Studio's

Kull of Atlantis, white resin figure, 16" tall , from CS Moore Studios , sculpted by Claybrun Moore www.csmoorestudio.com , photos by Alex Castro
Old 04-28-2008, 09:17 AM   #14
protector2814
Phoenix

This is going to be great to watch. A Kull Spring.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:07 AM   #15
Elia Cid

"Kull of Atlantis" article going to "Fantasy Dimension" Magazine.

Dear friends,

I am proud to announce that I will be writing a painting tutorial on "Kull of Atlantis", which will be published by Juan J. Barrena, my friend and representative, for an International magazine called "Fantasy Dimension" Magazine. The article which includes a cover shot of Kull will be released in the August/September issue of this year. This article which is in collaboration with CS Moore's Studio's who provided a special factory casting, will provide a step by step approach from the time I open the box to the completion of the piece. I will provide plenty of pictures to illustrate every step of the way a fantastic painting journey on a great sculpture by Clayburn Moore. Here is just a sample!

Whether you are a collector, a painter, an artist or a fan, you will enjoy this painting adventure.

So stay tuned!

Alex

The process of prepping: Washing: Cast lines: Air holes and Repairs: Please note that these sections have already been done on this piece and will be discussed in full detail in the magazine article.

"Kull of Atlantis" from CS Moore Studio's

The Priming Process:
When I started painting figures 35 years ago, I found that the problem with most primers, at that time, was that they were out of scale for miniatures and statue painting. These primers caused painters to be at a disadvantage from the start by covering fine details and clogging up the relief. In addition, these primers were only produced in certain colors. This forced me to develop my two-part priming system. Please note that advances in priming and paints may have corrected these issues. I would encourage you to try some of the newer priming products.

Kull of Atlantis, white resin figure, 16" tall , from CS Moore Studios , sculpted by Claybrun Moore www.csmoorestudio.com , Work in progress by Alex Castro
Old 05-09-2008, 08:18 AM   #16
Elia Cid

Silver priming process continued.

"Kull of Atlantis" from CS Moore Studio's

After much trial and error I found the Krylon Bright Silver (1401), made a great silver primer. The silver primer covers any color and any material regardless of what it's made of. It also dries quickly. The silver is extremely fine on a molecular level and in most cases a little dusting is all that the figure will require. The silver also provides a ground for the second part of the priming system. For the second part, I use a white acrylic. However, you can use any color acrylic. It is important to note that since the primer is enamel you can wipe off the white primer without affecting the silver layer below. Another value to the silvering is that it can be brushed on or sprayed on. It can easily be repaired, removed and blended. The primer can be cleaned with thinner. Lastly, once sprayed, the silvering reveals the imperfections on the surface. Please note that this paint should be used with a vent box or in a well vented area. You should also use a spray mask to avoid inhaling the silver particles and gloves to avoid getting it on your hands. Also, this paint is a brush killer, so don't use your better brushes. Keep a set of old brushes for silvering.

Using Krylon Bright Silver (1401), I spray a small amount of silver on paper. Then with a small sable hand brush, I dab the brush in the silver and hand brush the relief areas. This helps to prevent over saturating the relief areas in the figure when applying the silver. The silver is applied in a thin dusting, in a stroke like manner from upside down to right side up, from back to front. Note that his paint dries quickly so that you must work rapidly. Once the figure is silvered, I review the piece again looking for any imperfections. Next, White lining:

Kull of Atlantis, white resin figure, 16" tall , from CS Moore Studios , sculpted by Claybrun Moore www.csmoorestudio.com , Work in progress by Alex Castro
Old 05-09-2008, 10:06 AM   #17
Vader
Ghost

It's like Michaelangelo's David. Magnificent work Clay.
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:55 PM   #18
Nitefall
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader View Post
It's like Michaelangelo's David. Magnificent work Clay.

Even with just the silver primer it is MAGNIFICENT!
Nitefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:03 AM   #19
twisterred
Luke Cage

How long does the priming process take?
twisterred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:06 AM   #20
Nitefall
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I MUST order that issue of Fantasy Dimension magazine!

Does anyone know where their site is or how to order?
Nitefall is offline   Reply With Quote