Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 09-16-2016, 12:16 PM   #1
archery
A day without sunshine is like... night.

PCS Export Classification for Customs Purposes

Hope this is the right place to post, as it needs sign off from Jerry.....

A real point of contention for non-US collectors has been the export classification that PCS, Sideshow and other statue makers use when shipping items abroad. In the EU we are hit with a tax bill of 20% (or higher) of the statue value + shipping cost after receiving our pieces.

Some fine gentlemen in the UK collecting community have been in email conversation with Sideshow, who have now (after much internal debate) agreed to change their export classification from:

9503 - Tricycles, scooters, pedal cars and similar wheeled toys; dolls' carriages; dolls; other toys; reduced-size ('scale') models and similar recreational models, working or not; puzzles of all kinds

to the correct classification of:

9703 - Works of art, collectors' pieces and antiques. Original sculptures and statuary, in any material

Meaning that going forward, we in the UK will pay 5% rather than 20% in tax which saves us 75 USD in tax on a 500 USD piece.

With shipping costs at an all time high and exchange rates in the toilet because of Brexit, it is more expensive than ever to buy direct from PCS (or through resellers), and as a result many of us are letting go of PO's and reducing the number of statues we buy each year. If PCS changes its export classification, buying direct from PCS becomes a little more affordable.

Would really appreciate if Jerry could chime in on this.
archery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:35 PM   #2
Agoniste
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by archery View Post
Hope this is the right place to post, as it needs sign off from Jerry.....

A real point of contention for non-US collectors has been the export classification that PCS, Sideshow and other statue makers use when shipping items abroad. In the EU we are hit with a tax bill of 20% (or higher) of the statue value + shipping cost after receiving our pieces.

Some fine gentlemen in the UK collecting community have been in email conversation with Sideshow, who have now (after much internal debate) agreed to change their export classification from:

9503 - Tricycles, scooters, pedal cars and similar wheeled toys; dolls' carriages; dolls; other toys; reduced-size ('scale') models and similar recreational models, working or not; puzzles of all kinds

to the correct classification of:

9703 - Works of art, collectors' pieces and antiques. Original sculptures and statuary, in any material

Meaning that going forward, we in the UK will pay 5% rather than 20% in tax which saves us 75 USD in tax on a 500 USD piece.

With shipping costs at an all time high and exchange rates in the toilet because of Brexit, it is more expensive than ever to buy direct from PCS (or through resellers), and as a result many of us are letting go of PO's and reducing the number of statues we buy each year. If PCS changes its export classification, buying direct from PCS becomes a little more affordable.

Would really appreciate if Jerry could chime in on this.

Do younow if Sideshow also changed it for other countries? Here in Canada we pay 15%
Agoniste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
SARFARAZ
I like Chicken Wings
Super Moderator

Wow is this true? Hopefully Jerry can look into this as 5% is amazing compared to 20!
Old 09-16-2016, 01:33 PM   #4
archery
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Not sure if the change applies outside the EU.

Email from Sideshow below taken from FB. Credit to Simon Macdonald and Stephen Chaggs, not sure if those guys are on this forum:

Hi Simon,

Thank you for your patience in this matter. I took the information that you provided and we round tabled with our shipping staff and had several phone meetings with our Fed Ex rep to discuss your concerns and the reclassification of our products.

I am happy to report that the Harmonized code has been altered to 9703 for future shipments into your region.

I appreciate your diligence in this matter and we look forward to shipping your next item out to you!

Best regards,

Robin
Sideshow Support
archery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:41 PM   #5
mjjj1987
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

That would save a lot off money if that's a possibilty
mjjj1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #6
Oni_Akuma_1982
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

That would be so nice !
Oni_Akuma_1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:33 PM   #7
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by archery View Post
Not sure if the change applies outside the EU.

Email from Sideshow below taken from FB. Credit to Simon Macdonald and Stephen Chaggs, not sure if those guys are on this forum:

Hi Simon,

Thank you for your patience in this matter. I took the information that you provided and we round tabled with our shipping staff and had several phone meetings with our Fed Ex rep to discuss your concerns and the reclassification of our products.

I am happy to report that the Harmonized code has been altered to 9703 for future shipments into your region.

I appreciate your diligence in this matter and we look forward to shipping your next item out to you!

Best regards,

Robin
Sideshow Support
Hard to imagine it took this long for even Sideshow to get it right.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:05 PM   #8
RadAsGhoul
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

It affects 140 countries, so it's definitely worth looking into. From the usual 23% VAT and 6% duty, this brought my expenses down to 13% VAT
RadAsGhoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:06 PM   #9
Jyester
Kindly Asked To Leave
Adamantium Member

My friend you are a legend this is perfect! The below is exactly what they are and I always wondered why we were set to 'wheeled toys'

PCS should adjust this with the next shipment if possible and save us all a fortune!
Jyester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:09 PM   #10
RadAsGhoul
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Hard to imagine it took this long for even Sideshow to get it right.
I tried to look it up on my government page today. It's impossible to find. I actually had to ring revenue and ask them about it. And yes, it does seem like it's correct. Those bastardy are trying to hide this from plain sight. But yeah, if PCS could apply this we'd all save a lot of cash/buy more. Just need to change the code on future paperwork I guess. The full code for this is

This has been THE topic of today's conversations across the forums and groups. Sideshows CS confirmed this for me as well.
RadAsGhoul is offline   Reply With Quote