Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 08-03-2018, 05:07 PM   #31
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by senseimaki View Post
Auctions always end substantially lower than non-auction prices. I learned that the hard way. I sold the same statue twice not even 1 month ago and the auctioned item sold for $65 cheaper. I had to wait for 2 1/2 entire weeks but finally got the 2nd copy sold for the asking price. There will always be purchasers that don’t want to try their luck or don’t have the patience for auctions.

I just saw a Dark Supergirl auction end at under $100. Poor seller.

Catwomen Bishoujos are still listed at $300 upwards.
You can't go by current listings to gauge what pieces are selling at, only actual sold listings. I could put one up on ebay for $800, that doesnt mean that is what they are selling for.. Obviously if some are up for $300 and sitting there, people aren't willing to pay that price now.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:09 PM   #32
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Prices of the first bishoujo are dropping...bc of a statue of which we've seen only a silhouette and of which most people have little awareness?

More than likely, some people simply got lucky selling theirs to buyers who wanted/needed the statue right away or didn't know how to use eBay's search function to look for ended listings.
No, the Catwoman bishoujo has been consistently selling in that range for a while, years.

And in this hobby, most have the mentality that new is better.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:11 PM   #33
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
Looks like I was right.
The original used to grab $300-$350 on eBay.
I see auctions ending around $210-$250 now.
Rather conveniently, you didn't mention that the one that sold for $212 (plus shipping) doesn't have a box. Those always sell for lower than complete ones.

A new/sealed one sold for $300 in June. So, there's obviously a wide variance, which means that the upper end is inflated.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:13 PM   #34
senseimaki
The Herculoids

Quote:
Looks like I was right.
The original used to grab $300-$350 on eBay.
I see auctions ending around $210-$250 now.
Also big difference when looking at sealed vs opened statues. I saw 210-265 before shipping among the recent ones (June and after). Funny enough there was one in May (well before the Catwoman version 2 Bishoujo was announced) that sold for $100.
senseimaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:16 PM   #35
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Funny enough there was one in May (well before the Catwoman version 2 Bishoujo was announced) that sold for $100.
Yup, sometimes sellers just want to get rid of stuff fast or aren't aware of market conditions. Recently, someone listed Bombshells Wonder Woman for $80 and the Bombshells Harley/Joker First Edition for $250 when the prices should've been the other way around, lol.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:17 PM   #36
senseimaki
The Herculoids

Quote:
No, the Catwoman bishoujo has been consistently selling in that range for a while, years.

And in this hobby, most have the mentality that “new” is better.
Well new (unopened seal) is better... provided that you don’t open it yourself. Otherwise, no point buying new especially above MSRP.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:19 PM   #37
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Well new (unopened seal) is better... provided that you don’t open it yourself. Otherwise, no point buying new especially above MSRP.
I've learned that buying new/sealed statues is generally not a good idea. I want to know that a statue is actually okay, not new/sealed but defective.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:23 PM   #38
senseimaki
The Herculoids

Quote:
I've learned that buying new/sealed statues is generally not a good idea. I want to know that a statue is actually okay, not new/sealed but defective.
Ignorance is bliss. If you never open the box, you never know. Of course, this is only true for figures or statues with window displays. And you then sell it to someone else. Lol since you never opened the box yourself, you can’t be held liable.

Also, a big pet peeve of mine is when someone lists on eBay that an item is “new” and was only opened for inspection or even worse “displayed very briefly”. Lol an opened item is an opened item and IS NOT NEW anymore. Like new is a more appropriate term.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:29 PM   #39
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss. If you never open the box, you never know. Of course, this is only true for figures or statues with window displays. And you then sell it to someone else. Lol since you never opened the box yourself, you can’t be held liable.
A seller tried to do that with me, and I told him that defective is defective. New/sealed means nothing if the product is broken.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:37 PM   #40
senseimaki
The Herculoids

Quote:
Thanks! Great minds think alike. Lolol

Quote:
Yup, sometimes sellers just want to get rid of stuff fast or aren't aware of market conditions. Recently, someone listed Bombshells Wonder Woman for $80 and the Bombshells Harley/Joker First Edition for $250 when the prices should've been the other way around, lol.
Yikes!

Quote:
A seller tried to do that with me, and I told him that defective is defective. New/sealed means nothing if the product is broken.
If I can play devil’s advocate, the seller isn’t really at fault here. He or she sold you something in good faith. If anything, Kotobukiya (or I don’t know what brand statue was sold to you) is at fault.

Did eBay side with you? On the flip side, what would stop a buyer from falsely claiming you sold them something defective?