Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 12-22-2005, 04:34 AM   #1
bat_collector
Galactus

The Good, Bad, Ugly Reviews: Infinite Crisis, Deadly Genesis, GL Corps, Spiderwoman

A great great great week in comics! But once again, everything that came out this week was a mini-series, it seemed. I guess that is the way of comics now a days.

In a week where the Injustice League rocked, Cap/Falcon/Iron Man teamed up, Ultimate Logan got ripped in half by Ultimate Hulk, and jessica drew's origin is revelaed, my pick of the week is Infinite Crisis #3. This title couldn't be any better and is exceeding lofty expectations.

Infinite Crisis #3
The Good: Everything comes together with this issue, and you'll find out why this is probably going to be the landmark mini-series that DC promised it would be. Its amazing just how much is crammed into this issue. The return of the Shadow Pact, the Spcectre invading Atlantis, a space battle, and even Wally West all show up with their seperate plot lines. However, you'll have a hard time remembering exactly what happend with them.
No, you'll remember this issue for how well it ties in the past year for DC. You'll remember it for the classic meeting between Earth-2 Supes and a severly guilt-ridden Batman. In fact, Batman hasn't been written this well in ages. You'll remember it for Wonder Woman and the Amazonian's fight with the Omacs. But most importantly, you'll remember this for the confrontation between the two Lex Luthors, and the results that follow. Geoff Johns is clicking on all cylinders, and this series just gets better and better.
The Bad: Maybe too much is crammed inot this issue. I must admit Donna Troy's space journey with fellow mid-grade heroes is just more confusing than anything else.
The Ugly: Delays. Hopefully this is the only one we will get. No more delays DC!

X-men: Deadly Genesis #2
The Good: Hopefully this series, and DeciMation in general, can revamp and strengthen the Marvel Mutant universe. From this issue, it is at least on the right track. Last time we dropped in, Scott and Rachel Grey were kidnapped, Wolverine arrested, and Banshee was digging up some mysterious facts about Charles Xavier. This issue doesn't really answer any questions on the msyterious abuctor or more on Prof X's location. But it does give us great character interaction (especialy on how Logan was released from military custody), and a few more mysteries to solve, such as what are the terrible visions every mutant seems to be having.
This has the makings of a strong series, with perhaps some great revelations and secrets to tell us along the way. Just don't expect to find out too much just yet.
One last thing, the mini stories in the back, just excellent. I can't wait ot find out who is helping these kids and what their purpose will be.
The Bad: Things better pick up next issue. A little more payoff would be nice per issue of this mini.
The Ugly: Thanks previews for giving away who the mystery villain was. you suck! Another reason not to flip through it.

Spiderwoman: Origin #1
The Good: Bendis' greatest contribution to comics is making Spiderwoman cool again. Now we get to find out her definitive origin, as told by Bendis himself. Going back 30 years, we see Jessica's parents at Wundagore Mountain, studying the Wundagore Widow spider's dna to hopefully learn how to combine their genetic strengths with other species. Little did they ever think the first successful subject would be their yet unborn daughter. We find out just how Jessica was born with spider powers, and how these slowly manifested themselves. Almost as importantly, we see what type of girl she is, and what type of parents young Jessica has. The nice reveal at the end where we find out how the secret project has been funded all these years, was perfect. And I can't get enough of the art, Luna knocks it home.
The Bad: But this is all setup so far. I think it will get better, but right now I also see it as 22 pages of Bendizzzz' "great" dialogue.
The Ugly: Not much, so far, other than too much Bendis speak.

Green Lantern Corps Rechage #3
The Good: Finally I remember to read this timely and recommend it to you guys. While not earth shattering, this mini-series has been a lot of fun. This series began with the Guardians from Oa sending out multitudes of powerrings in order to rebuild the Green Lantern Corp again. While Hal Jordan was NOT invited back to Oa to train (for very obvios reasons), Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner were. However, not everyone in the universe was happy to be chosen, and not everyone is glad to the Corp reform.
In this issue we learn exaclty who is trying to kill Lanterns and why. More imporantly ,we get to see the lanterns in action. I compare this mini to Adam Strange from last year. Maybe not the most important story line in the world, but it was filled with great space battles. Honestly, who wouldn't want a green lantern ring? At least in this series we get to rid about people using them to the full and fighting great space battles! And the debut of a sexy new GL recruit also makes this an interesting series. If you are a GL fan, pick this up!
The Bad: I think some of the villains here are supposed to be familiar to GL readers, but I have no knowledge of these guys at all. Since I just started reading GL comics, I can only hope my DC Encylcopedia can help.
The Ugly: Delays, again. This was supposed to be released like two months ago! DC, get your act together!

Well, that is it. Let me know what you thought of these weeks batch of comics.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:28 AM   #2
Aarrgghh!!
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Read IC, you are right on with your review, this series lives up to the first one. This series has many "wow" momments in action and dialog.
Aarrgghh!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:11 AM   #3
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrgghh!!
Read IC, you are right on with your review, this series lives up to the first one. This series has many "wow" momments in action and dialog.
I have to agree with you there, you can basically pick your favorite, because so many seem series shifting in some way. My favorite is the Batman/Earth 2 meeting. It really brought a new side of Batman that hasn't been shown before. Really affected me, especially as a batman fan.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:26 AM   #4
thecallahan
THE HUGGERNAUT!!!

I hate you for getting Genesis #2, my store was shorted To make myself feel better, I'm gonna review the latest Gold Digger when I get home and post some images. Nyah!

P.S. I'm sick and at work so I'm a bit loopy at the moment..Well, loopier than normal.
thecallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:27 AM   #5
thecallahan
THE HUGGERNAUT!!!

P.P.S Go Skins!! hahahah!
Old 12-22-2005, 11:47 AM   #6
bat_collector
Galactus

You officially have the weirdest response to my reviews!

And go redskins too! Born and raised in Dallas and I hate the cowboys.

Let me know whaty ou think when you finally do get Deadly Genesis.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:00 PM   #7
thecallahan
THE HUGGERNAUT!!!

Like I said, being stuck at work while sick isn't condusive to lucid thinking. It's kinda surreal and I'm loving it. But if you don't mind, I wanna do an add on review for GD like I said before. It's a great comic and I wanna spread the word!
Old 12-22-2005, 12:07 PM   #8
Jesse321
Galactus

MY LCS got shorted on DG too, so I couldn't read it either, but IC blew me away! This is DC at it's classic best, not only has this series livedup to all the hype, it's surpassed it as far as I'm concerned.

My only complaint is the resolution of Paradise Island ... I'm not sure I'm too happy about that.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 12:29 PM   #9
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecallahan
Like I said, being stuck at work while sick isn't condusive to lucid thinking. It's kinda surreal and I'm loving it. But if you don't mind, I wanna do an add on review for GD like I said before. It's a great comic and I wanna spread the word!
Please do, I always like guest reviews man.
I wonder why the shortage of deadly genesis? Underodered, huge demand? I think House of M shyed some lcs's from this title perhaps. My shop ran out too now that I think about it.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:42 PM   #10
thecallahan
THE HUGGERNAUT!!!

Well, I know the shop didn't short order it. Beyond that, don't know why they didn't get enough.