Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 12-26-2005, 05:51 PM   #1
Babytoxie
Ghost

Spawn trade paperback

Against my better judgement, I picked up the volume 1 trade paperback of Todd McFarlane's Spawn last week (a substantial discount from my LCS made it more palatable). Issues 9 and 10 are not included, and IIRC, 9 was written by Neil Gaiman and 10 was written by Dave Sim. I am wondering what McFarlane is thinking... I know about the whole Gaiman/Angela/Miracleman controversy, but why in the world would McFarlane just leave these issues out? Does it gall him that he'd have to give royalties to these other creators? Or would he even have to? I believe Frank Miller wrote issue 11, but it is included in this collection.

I'm baffled, because TMcF has been really promoting this collection and telling us how important Spawn was to comics, so why would he produce an incomplete collection? Especially when these other issues were some of the high points? Creative differences aside, is there any other reason Gaiman & Sim would be left out?
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 06:32 PM   #2
Juggernaut
The Falcon

The new Spawn Anniversay collection, collects Spawn #1-10

I think?
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 09:51 PM   #3
Babytoxie
Ghost

If you're referring to the collection released last week, it was promoted as follows:

Witness the power of pure McFarlane with this essential collection out of print for 10 years! It all started in 1992! Todd McFarlane's smash hit Spawn. What? Don't have those first issues? Oh, yeah... They've been out of print for 10 years! Well, here they are in a brand new collection -- bigger and badder than ever! This collection includes Spawn issues 1-10 featuring the pulse-pounding art of the master himself, Todd McFarlane. As the Spawn regular series picks up heat and the new Spawn animated movie comes out, fans will be clamoring for this collection! Collects issues 1-10.

But the collection actually includes 1-8, and 11-12. WTF? Spawn is so "essential" that you have to omit issues? I'm not even a big fan, just wanted to check it out again. Way to go, Todd... still confounding readers for over ten years.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:04 PM   #4
rychehitman
Galactus

Another home run , brought to you as only Image and McFarlane productions can!

Did anyone actually buy the Image 10 yr. HC special?!?!?
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 10:04 PM   #5
bat_collector
Galactus

Spawn is important to comics?????
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:18 AM   #6
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector
Spawn is important to comics?????
He certainly seems to think so.

I honestly enjoyed the first year of issues, especially when the other writers came on board to really work with the potential of the character. I'm a firm believer that certain writers, such as Moore, Gaiman, and Miller, as well as Veitch and Morrison, can really expand on what quietly lies beneath the surface of literally any comic character. In the case of Spawn, it was definitely needed. So why, why, why leave it out???
Old 12-27-2005, 12:29 AM   #7
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

I collected Spawn for about the first 50 or 60 issues but after that I got fed up. I hung in there longer than I should have but back then I was buying just about everything that came out.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:40 AM   #8
Juggernaut
The Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman
Another home run , brought to you as only Image and McFarlane productions can!

Did anyone actually buy the Image 10 yr. HC special?!?!?
I pre-ordered it. Because I realy thaught that it was #1-10

Have not recieved it yet.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:41 PM   #9
Car50n
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie
Against my better judgement, I picked up the volume 1 trade paperback of Todd McFarlane's Spawn last week (a substantial discount from my LCS made it more palatable). Issues 9 and 10 are not included, and IIRC, 9 was written by Neil Gaiman and 10 was written by Dave Sim. I am wondering what McFarlane is thinking... I know about the whole Gaiman/Angela/Miracleman controversy, but why in the world would McFarlane just leave these issues out? Does it gall him that he'd have to give royalties to these other creators? Or would he even have to? I believe Frank Miller wrote issue 11, but it is included in this collection.

I'm baffled, because TMcF has been really promoting this collection and telling us how important Spawn was to comics, so why would he produce an incomplete collection? Especially when these other issues were some of the high points? Creative differences aside, is there any other reason Gaiman & Sim would be left out?

legally, he couldn't print the issues, especially 9. Neil Gaiman is the co-creator of Angela and Cogliestro. one of the suits Gaiman filed against todd was for 'damages/royalties owed for use of characters.' Todd lost that suit. so this wasn't a case of Todd being a prick, it was a case of Neil sued his ass and they're both pricks.

#10 was just a case of not getting in touch with Sim before press time. He's actually given permission to reprint it at any time. unlike many new age creators with lawyers in their back pockets, Sim feels that any project he worked on with someone, can be reprinted at any time, by any one as long as it's creditted.
Car50n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 04:33 PM   #10
Babytoxie
Ghost

Thanks Car50n!