Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 12-30-2005, 12:19 PM   #1
bat_collector
Galactus

The Good, BAd, Ugly Reviews, All Star Batman, X-factor, New Avengers, Ultimate FF

A huge week of comics, with some nice titles, but mostly those in my 2cd "tier" group if you will. But, don't worry, some nice titles here too!

In a week where Jason Todd and Black Mask go toe-to-toe, All-Star Black Canary makes her debut, two What If's hit the shelves, and the Wonder Woman pages in Infinite Crisis #3 is expanded a bit, my pick of the week is solidly Ultimate Fantastic Four #26!

And, in a new addition to these pages I'll be giving my Thud of the Week award. This will go to a comic with high expecations that just falls flat (e.g. All Star Batman #2, anything from House of M). This week that award goes to New Avengers #14, which is a perenial nominee for it anyway. On to the reviews!

Ultimate Fantastic Four #26
The Good: Namor kicks butt! Last issue seemed to have some dangling hints on how the FF would bring down Namor, a criminal for Atlantis. Fortunatly for us all this issue broke down all expectations and wrapped up the Namor arc incredibly.
The Fantastic Four prove to be no match for Namor, as even Reed Richards' Fantastic-Five-0 robot (which wields all their powers) is defeated. But it is a simple request for a kiss from Sue that Namor requests that will put an end to his fighting. Will Sue accept? Will Namor leave that easily? And just who is Sue and Johnny's Mom working for anyway? Read and find out. Fantast art by Greg Land and great writing by Millar makes this a must read series.
The Bad: Nothing bad in this arc at all!
The Ugly: Ultimate Vision story. Sorry, but please come up with a better way to market this title than to release it over 6 seperate issues of different series.

All Star Batman and Robin #3
The Good: After last issue's clunker, could anything be good in this issue? Enter All Star Black Canary! Her orgin is revealed, and its far from anything who might expect. She is simply a Irish bartender who happens to work in the sleaziest part of Gotham wearing fish-net stockings. And she wonders on all the sexual harrassment she gets. Well, everyone has a breaking point, and she reaches her and systematically beats up all the male patrons, taking their money and even wedding rings in the process. Why? Because the legend of Batman has motivated her to fight back! Yeah it isn't the best story in the world, but hey, Jim Lee draws one sexy Black Canary.
Oh, and Batman turns his car turned plane into a submarine too! And Superman gets ticked off. That's this issue in a nutshell.
The Bad: While I appreciate the unexpected turn of events, what exactly is going on here! Strange story to say the least.
The Ugly: I think of the 22 pages of art, half of them were splash pages, at least. Man, less art, more story.

New Avengers #14
The Good: A few Frank Cho panels. That's about it.
The Bad: Everything else. After a great Ronin arc, this issue falls flat and can best be described as boring. Here is the issue in a nutshell, Jessica Drew explains all to Cap over her breakfast cereal. Yeah, its as exciting as it sounds. BendiZZZZZZ returns, and it couldn't come at a worse time, as it kills the momentum the series had. Its worse that Jessica's little secret (she's working for Nick Fury as a double agent) isn't even as interesting as we were hoping for.
The Ugly: Is it just me, or does Cho's cap look like some steroid freak? The change in artists makes me appreciate David Finch's art even more, as BendiZZZ drivel that passes as dialouge was so much more palatable when he drew the title. Oh yeah, and the Sentry returns and seems more of a castrated whelp than an awesome superhero.

X-Factor #2
The Good: Ummmm . . . . Madrox learning he has an evil side who might escape again and wreak havok was good.
The Bad: Talk about another thud. This one is even less worth mentioning. While Madrox has some nice moments, the rest of this issue fell flat. Some plot lines are more confusing than others (what's up with that prophet/old man). But, I must admit my real irritation to the issue was that everyone took a back seat to . . .
The Ugly: Layla "I know things" Miller. Bendis's annoying plot device from House of M is back, and decided to force herself on X-factor. More importantly, she bears little resemblance to the little girl in House of M. Honestly, my annoyance with her popping in every panel saying "I know things" made me wish X-23 had joined the group. HOpefully this gets better, but we'll see.

Thanks for reading!
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:49 PM   #2
thecallahan
THE HUGGERNAUT!!!

I'm liking how Peter David writes Monet though, some good lines for her in X-Factor. Look for my GBU tonight with a double dose of Gold Digger (for some reason there was a turn-around time of 2 weeks between issues).
thecallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:50 PM   #3
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Looks like the New Avengers is loosing momentum already which sucks. Nice reviews as always B_C.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:01 PM   #4
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecallahan
I'm liking how Peter David writes Monet though, some good lines for her in X-Factor. Look for my GBU tonight with a double dose of Gold Digger (for some reason there was a turn-around time of 2 weeks between issues).
I'm honestly going to have to re-read it as I got sleepy reading this issue. all I remember is that dang Layla Miller saying "I know things"
Old 12-30-2005, 01:34 PM   #5
Tony Coca
Teflon Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector
The change in artists makes me appreciate David Finch's art even more!
If your complaining now about Frank Chos' art wait till Joe Mad gets on the book.
Tony Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 02:06 PM   #6
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Coca
If your complaining now about Frank Chos' art wait till Joe Mad gets on the book.
Uh oh!

I actually lke his wolverine. I have no problem with Cho covers. but it seemed the art was not great throughout the book. then again jessica and steve were mainly in civies. Dull.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:11 PM   #7
Tony Coca
Teflon Don

Quote:
Uh oh!

I actually lke his wolverine. I have no problem with Cho covers. but it seemed the art was not great throughout the book. then again jessica and steve were mainly in civies. Dull.
Then Blame Bendizzzzzzz and Joe Pompador for letting the story go as is.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:41 PM   #8
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Coca
Then Blame Bendizzzzzzz and Joe Pompador for letting the story go as is.
Joe Pompador, that's funny. But does he even ahve any power at marvel? I think he's a puppet.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:43 PM   #9
Tony Coca
Teflon Don

Quote:
Joe Pompador, that's funny. But does he even ahve any power at marvel? I think he's a puppet.
He is the power.Everyone thats on Marvel right now are know as Boys Of Q.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:51 PM   #10
rychehitman
Galactus

House of Quagmire!

BC...Ultimate FF is one of the best books out there today! Glad to see you putting a spotlight on it!
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote