Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 10-13-2014, 10:45 PM   #1
Underdog07
Hercules

NYCC as a tourist - aka art by Brooks, Cho, Granov and friends

I moved to New York in August 1995 -- this past August, about 19 years to the day, I moved to North Carolina. NYCC gave me the 1st opportunity to visit NYC as a "tourist" in nearly 2 decades. My wife and left the kids at home and made a week long vacation out of our trip. We were intent on doing the city right and I think we succeeded.

NYC is unquestionably one of the culinary capitals of the world. We did our part in eating well during our stay. Shake Shack. Tao Downtown. Carnegie Deli. NY Pizza from Ray's. Nobu (wife and I split 45 pieces of sushi). Becco for the pasta special.

And then we celebrated our anniversary at Asiato - it's in the Mandarin Oriental Hotel and overlooks Central Park. I requested a good table and they put us smack dab in the middle of the window. Great view. Incredible food.

We arrived on Tuesday and had one of the most interestingly bizarre dinner experiences. We grabbed a table for 3 ordered 6 appetizers and a round of drinks. Then ordered dinner. Then a 4th showed up and ordered a beer. Our dinners arrived and he attempted to order a hamburger. He was told "sorry they have their food and we want to clear the table. You said it would be 3 people." The manager then came over and attempted to justify this - I simply responded we'll order nothing else and leave as soon as possible. The waitress then came and offered us dessert. I said no no can't because you need the table. So don't go to the Spotted Pig even though the food was good.

We also found time to see 3 Broadway shows -- Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Wicked, and Aladdin.

Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
Underdog07
Hercules

Amongst the food, drink and shows, there was, of course, a comic book show. I had a short list of things I wanted to pick up at the show. Fortunately for me I was able to get in early on Thursday so I headed straight to Mark Brooks table. Mark had posted 4 Wonder Women that he did and I had my pick of the litter and grabbed the standing Wonder Wonder as I thought it looked very dynamic.

After Mark's table, I headed to Artgerm's line -- which was already 20 plus deep. Waited my turn and picked up the following:

Next up Adi Granov to pick up a prearranged commission. Simply incredible piece. I am thrilled to own this. I also picked up a prelim for an XMEN cover.

Hoping to pick something up from Frank Cho, but he wasn't planning to be there on Thursday so I walked around artists alley for a bit and then headed to the show floor. Went a bit overboard with shirts for the kids and friends.

Friday I took the day off from the show which didn't bother me because Frank Cho was not going to be there again. Saturday morning I got there early and again was fortunate to be let in early. Artist alley was a ghost town with maybe 3 people in it. Headed straight to Frank Cho's table to wait for him to arrive. When Frank showed up I was able to purchase these from him --- very happy with both of them.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
Underdog07
Hercules

Saturday night, my wife and I attended the charity art auction. As many know, the $$$ goes to St Jude's Research Hospital which is a great charity. This year I picked up a bunch of pieces:

then one last stop at the show on Sunday morning to pick this up from Frank Cho.

For our anniversary, my wife bought me this Silk sketch by Humberto Ramos -- silk is one of the traditional gifts for the 12th anniversary. I thought it was very cool that she tracked this down on her own.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Nice haul. Congrats on all of it (and the anniversary)!
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:19 PM   #5
risingstar
Jedi Order

Very nice haul! I really like the Doom.

Had I known you were going to pick up some Artgerm prints, I would have asked you to pick up the Invisible woman one for me. I always liked that one.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:34 PM   #6
madmanny
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Incredible art haul, love that doom.

Was it extra for the cho inks on your full fig? It seems sometimes he inks and sometimes not
madmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:01 AM   #7
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Per usual I love the stories that go with tout experiences. Congrats on your anniversary .

I'm not sure you left much for anybody else from the auction, but I'm So glad that Yardin WW made it to a SF member. She is stunning.

Wonderful art all around. Congrats!
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:09 AM   #8
Bishop40
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

congrats bill all those pieces are fantastic, but that doom is awesome.
Bishop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:07 AM   #9
Stalzer2002
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Wow, that is a fantastic haul from the auction, especially that Pagulayan Thor. I would've loved to have taken that one home, but it wasn't meant to be.
Stalzer2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:39 AM   #10
vpw
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Wow nice haul, especially the ones from the auction.
Really makes me wanna try and make the trip over next year
vpw is offline   Reply With Quote