Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > ARH Studios

Old 12-10-2016, 07:58 PM   #141
It's Sisko
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriegsfuerst View Post
Just received the Death Dealer III from ARH lately. Unfortunately I'm pretty disappointed. The statue itself is nice and I also like how the sculptor reinterpreted the back armor of the Dealer. The base is almost the best part. But the head looks terrible wrong and totally out of proportions!! I don't know who sculpted this head but damn...it's all disproportionate.

I also own the 1:6 scale of the same statue. Ok, one could argue the shape of the horns aren't the same like on Frazetta's painting but still...at least the horns look good when it comes to fit the overall likeness of the helmet, which can't be said at all for the 1:4 scale by ARH.
There the whole head sculpt just looks contorted and wrong. It diminishes the devious, eerie look of the Death Dealer and almost turns it to ridicule.

These are based on two different paintings. Frank painted two versions of the DD3. The ARH one is based on the original DD3 painting, and the 1:6 scale you have is based on the revised painting. The ARH statue is accurate to the painting they are interpreting. You will notice that the armor and posture are very different.

It's Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:38 PM   #142
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Sisko View Post
These are based on two different paintings. Frank painted two versions of the DD3. The ARH one is based on the original DD3 painting, and the 1:6 scale you have is based on the revised painting. The ARH statue is accurate to the painting they are interpreting. You will notice that the armor and posture are very different.

Accurate in pose yes, but the helmet is still off, See how with his head turned 3/4 you can see both eyes? This means that the helmet is more flat in front even though yes it does have that bend it's not as exaggerated as this sculpt. The proportions are off too. The hands, size of the head etc. etc.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:09 PM   #143
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

I'm confused. ARH had pictures of this piece for the preorder. The horns look the same to me. If anything, there seems to be a lot of details lost between the prototype and the production piece. That is where my complaints would lie.

Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 01:37 AM   #144
A Cimmerian
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Both helmets are terrible.
A Cimmerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #145
Kriegsfuerst
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Sisko View Post

Thank's for the clarification. I honestly wasn't aware of that.
My main complaint still layes with the dimensions and shape of the helmet of ARH's sculpt. It just doesn't look right.
Kriegsfuerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:01 AM   #146
Marcel54
Hellboy

I think the helmet is close to the painting except for two points. It should have been a bit wider and flatter and the curvature of the horns should have been a bit different.....just a bit more curve away from the helmet. But all in all I am really pleased with it.
Marcel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:57 PM   #147
akitadad
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Death Dealer would have to have a pinhead to fit into this helm... this is a result of the sculptor not understanding how helmets fit. The eye slots were wrong, and too close together, as well. Glad I passed on this one
akitadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:49 PM   #148
Kriegsfuerst
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Today I fetched my partially repainted Death Dealer statue. The base has totally been repainted also the helmet & the axe. He added rust to the body armor and blood to the coat.
I'm absolutely happy with the end result.

Here's a little video shot by my buddy after he finished his work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3ym_P3e5uU
Kriegsfuerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:20 AM   #149
Great Pheidias
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriegsfuerst View Post
Today I fetched my partially repainted Death Dealer statue. The base has totally been repainted also the helmet & the axe. He added rust to the body armor and blood to the coat.
I'm absolutely happy with the end result.

Here's a little video shot by my buddy after he finished his work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3ym_P3e5uU
looks great
Great Pheidias is offline   Reply With Quote