Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 02-25-2017, 03:54 PM   #6951
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Yeah I'm pretty much out of the print game. I just don't have room to display what I have now and I really don't have any interest in storing a bunch of prints in a flat file. It was fun while it lasted but back to statues and comic art for me.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:03 PM   #6952
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
Yeah I'm pretty much out of the print game. I just don't have room to display what I have now and I really don't have any interest in storing a bunch of prints in a flat file. It was fun while it lasted but back to statues and comic art for me.
+1. I basically have what I want currently. I have room for maybe one more print on my walls should I choose to fill the spot, but I likely won't. Short of an amazing print for one of my top 10-15 favorite films that I don't have represented in my collection or the occasional Stout (since he's my favorite) I'm done collecting. Admittedly I do have a small assortment of prints stored flat in a presentation case that I'll likely never spend the money to frame and hang. I'll probably hold onto those but who knows, it wouldn't kill me to sell them either. I definitely don't have any interest in building a larger collection that's just going to get tucked away in a file.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:01 PM   #6953
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I'll always check out prints since current movie posters are still pretty poor. I can't remember the last time I even listed a movie poster that I want to own. The King Kong one is pretty cool. But it's either vintage or gallery prints for me.

Who knows when an artist will have a cool take on a movie? There still isn't a good Terminator 2 print. I'm hoping that Stan and Vince try a T2 print. So much from the list that I posted some time ago in that top 10 wanted thread. I would love to see a Martin Ansin Matrix trilogy.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:35 AM   #6954
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I'll be honest. I thought the print game was over two years ago. Its been fun to watch, I've bought a few in that time period, but, I'm amazed at how the industry has done itself in. Every artist wanted their cut of Aliens and now there are a zillion prints. Shaw's was solid, an absolutely new take, but, those are few and far between. I was also surprised to see recently, something like 3 galleries offering the same shows covering the same subject matter. Ridiculous. I think the people that still buy this stuff up assuming the value is there, and it's worthy of a quick buck, don't watch the hobby as closely as many of us. The failips are the best!
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:11 AM   #6955
Vracula
Jedi Order

I just started a few months back and have been lucky to acquire all the ones I really want.Once my wall is full i probably will just buy Jock Batman prints. Framing is so expensive, I honestly didn't know or realize how expensive Framing would be as I have never had anything framed ,however I have really grown a new sense of respect for framers.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:18 AM   #6956
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyrob View Post
I'll be honest. I thought the print game was over two years ago. Its been fun to watch, I've bought a few in that time period, but, I'm amazed at how the industry has done itself in. Every artist wanted their cut of Aliens and now there are a zillion prints. Shaw's was solid, an absolutely new take, but, those are few and far between. I was also surprised to see recently, something like 3 galleries offering the same shows covering the same subject matter. Ridiculous. I think the people that still buy this stuff up assuming the value is there, and it's worthy of a quick buck, don't watch the hobby as closely as many of us. The failips are the best!
And few good Aliens prints. I think many of the artists are handcuffed by the license. The best and only one I own is the recent Mark Englert one. I would love to see a double with Alien and Aliens. Stuff like that you would think Mondo would find a way to work out. I've said it before but those doubles from Martin Ansin like Tron and Flash Gordon are how they should be treating many of those classic movie series. They haven't even finished Ansin's Universal Monster series.

Another example is Rocketeer. They couldn't make the Rocketeer movie with the characters so they are only making the comic version. Ansin's retro "advertisement" style is clever though and if and when the new movie comes out, I expect that to shoot up. But still, I don't understand what is going on where they, either Disney or Mondo, couldn't figure out a way to make prints with the characters.

There are so many more examples like that with cancelled projects or played around with ideas that are good but the suits or others decided against it. I still get upset thinking why did they even bother entertaining the notion? Stuff like:

1. Craig Drake Prometheus

2. JC Richard Spider-Man vs Green Goblin

3. Mondo Mission Impossible

4. Mondo James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
I just started a few months back and have been lucky to acquire all the ones I really want.Once my wall is full i probably will just buy Jock Batman prints. Framing is so expensive, I honestly didn't know or realize how expensive Framing would be as I have never had anything framed ,however I have really grown a new sense of respect for framers.
There are some good displayable flat file ideas on Expressobeans. You don't have to have everything framed at once.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:04 PM   #6957
pavehawk78
Hellfire Club

I've pretty much been sticking to comic movie prints with the exception of Mumford's LOTR trilogy. I only buy a few a year now. I get mine framed at a local shop. Just black metal with no matting wth acid free foam core and uv protective glass for $70 a pop. I like the uniformed look.
pavehawk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:34 PM   #6958
FROBAY
Phoenix

Vance Kelly Aliens print. Best to date, IMO

FROBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:59 PM   #6959
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Probably my favorite print from VK and one of my all time favorite films.

RIP Bill Paxton.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:25 PM   #6960
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Pretty thrilled about picking up this SW Prequel Trilogy set by Eric Tan today from BNG to accompany my OT set released by Disney a few years ago. I think they're gonna look great together.

and in 3...2..1. let the prequel hate commence.

Oh, I like these, did I miss out on them or are they still available anywhere? Ideally the full set of six. I like that Predator night ops variant also, I might treat myself.

EDIT: Never mind, I just remembered these were the Bottleneck prints.

I ordered this from Teechip, very disappointed with it. No idea if it was a bad example or if it's the quality they aim for, but it looks like it was printed from a 90's home printer. They also fooled me with the fake limited edition with countdown timer... That simply resets each time it ends.

Python is offline   Reply With Quote