Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > ARH Studios

Old 12-24-2016, 06:50 PM   #711
dao2
Cyclops

I prefer ARH's girl too ;p
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:57 PM   #712
The13thWarlock
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I think the sculpt is pretty spot on and I think Ehren really went to great pains to replicate Frazetta's work, not just interpret it. Of course taking that blurred face from the painting and making it into a 3D representation is... what's the word... impossible! As for the paint application I think the colors could have been different but who knows. When I get it into it's permanent home and get some dedicated lighting on it I think it will be nothing short of amazing.
The13thWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:57 PM   #713
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriegsfuerst View Post
Actually I must say that I'm not that disappointed with the paintjob. They tried to bring the painting alive and the pile of corpses,mud and skeletons the barbarian is standing on the top of, looks pretty dull and dreary on the painting as well. ARH's base of this diorama is pretty big and they also didn't use a lot of different colours, so it may look cheap and boring to some but I'm pretty ok with it.
I also don't mind if a sculpt isn't as heavy as a tombstone. Judging on the size of the whole dio it's quite light, but that's also a point of criticism I personally don't mind.

Mine arrived with one slave-girl's finger broken, one weak magnet on the barbarian's left hand and a missing magnet on the barbarian's other hand. Considering ARH's terrible customer support I didn't even contacted them but just used super-glue for all those issues.

But what I really despise is a total lack of recognition value of Frazetta's work in the face of the slave girl. Frazetta was know of for his very unique style when it comes to a female's body and face. Voluptuous bodys and elf-ish like faces.
ARH's interpretation is just terribly wrong! Seems to me the sculptor has never even studyed Frank's other art-works when it comes to female faces. She is just one ugly ----- - sorry my words. But I knew this when I ordered it, so the blame is on me. I love the painting and ARH had the license back then, what shall I say ?
C.S. Moore did way the better job 20 years ago!

Wow...okay where do I start. Everyone here knows I'm not a huge fan of what ARH did with the Frazetta license, think I've made that clear. However, to sit here and say, not from a subjective standpoint on art, but from an objective look on technical skill, that Moore translate the piece better is a little out of line. First of all, in this painting the slave girl, not nymph, not elf, slave girl, is mostly impressionistic and with reason as to not take away from the main figure, the barbarian. Secondly, her features are mostly hidden by shadow, so to say her eyes should be slanted in someway is your interpretation not Frazetta's, because the only thing you can see is the slight slant of her eye brows, which only means she may be giving a certain facial expression.

From an objective technical critic of the two sculpts the ARH piece has more of the subdued features the painting seems to have and follows what is there, not what might be imagined behind the shadow, this is of course the sculpt only I'm talking about. Also the ARH piece holds more of the realism Frazetta had brought out in the barbarian, where the Moore seems more like the cartoonish drawings Frazetta had done in his early days with magazines and comics.

The paint is another issue entirely, Green Eye Shadow, really? On slave girl laying on freshly killed corpses? right.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:21 PM   #714
ReTardist
The Herculoids

I urge someone to get my sculpt in to the hands of a competent painter like Vincente Torres. I plan on on doing this for mine
ReTardist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:21 PM   #715
The13thWarlock
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Yeah... what that guy said!!!
The13thWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:45 PM   #716
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Bottom line with regards to the Slave girl... Moore worked very closely with Frank himself, so we know that it's 100% Franks vision that made it to production.
Ehren did as best as he could without Frank seniors guidance...he probably needed the OK from Arahom and Frank Jr., that's why I think Clay got a lot more things right in the end result.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:05 PM   #717
Great Pheidias
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Bottom line with regards to the Slave girl... Moore worked very closely with Frank himself, so we know that it's 100% Franks vision that made it to production.
Ehren did as best as he could without Frank seniors guidance...he probably needed the OK from Arahom and Frank Jr., that's why I think Clay got a lot more things right in the end result.
Clay version looks ---- compared to the ARH one. If Frank Frazetta was still alive he would be drooling all over Ehrens slave and lived an extra 10 years of drooling and have a hard on instead of ----ting in his old pants
Great Pheidias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:34 PM   #718
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Pheidias View Post
Clay version looks ---- compared to the ARH one. If Frank Frazetta was still alive he would be drooling all over Ehrens slave and lived an extra 10 years of drooling and have a hard on instead of ----ting in his old pants
And we've taken a turn for the worse
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:44 PM   #719
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReTardist View Post
I urge someone to get my sculpt in to the hands of a competent painter like Vincente Torres. I plan on on doing this for mine
Looking forward to seeing yours. Someone said they were having John Alred paint one, I can't remember who at the moment but that should also be a good test of how it could look.

I thought about doing it myself (hiring someone great I mean, not literally doing it myself which would look like a near sighted toddler with palsy had done it) but then I just recently commissioned an original oil painting from Ken Kelly so my funds are stretched right now. But if I see a couple of pro paint ups that wow me I will definitely have mine done too at some point.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:57 PM   #720
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

No doubt this statue would kill with a great paintjob...Arahom did a great job with the prototype, the factory paintjob is nowhere near the potential of this statue... will take a crack at it sometime in the future.

Would really love to see Paul Moore take a crack at this.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote