Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 09-25-2005, 04:03 PM   #1
Bartholomew
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Painting plastic

Hi, I was interested in customizing some minimates. I've never done any custome painting, and these are quite small,and they're made of plastic. Just a couple questions to get me started

1) What type of paints should I use on the plastic and where should I get them? I only need really small amounts. I want a smooth finish.
2) Any sort of primer needed or do I just paint right over the parts I want painted?
3) Since these are really small, about 2 inches max, what sort of paintbrush do I need. Size, material, etc etc

Ok, thanks for the help everyone!
Bartholomew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 04:24 PM   #2
Danno
Paint Master
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew
1) What type of paints should I use on the plastic and where should I get them? I only need really small amounts. I want a smooth finish.
2) Any sort of primer needed or do I just paint right over the parts I want painted?
3) Since these are really small, about 2 inches max, what sort of paintbrush do I need. Size, material, etc etc
1.) Really, any paint should work fine. But I suggest starting with water based acrylic paint first. You can thin them easily with water (rather than water I recommend something like wind sheild wiper fluid, or windex, etc... but water is fine to start) to get the paint thin for smoother brushing.

Paints like Citdel and Vallejo are nice places to start as well, you get a large variety of colors to choose from and they brush on very nicely.

2.) For best adhesion, yes...you should always prime before painting. For small plastic miniatures, Games Workshop makes some great primers, but any laquer based auto primer will work fine. I use Dupli-Coat auto primer on many of the piece I do.

3.) You will need a small spotter brush, I recommend a 10/0 spotter, a 10/0 Filbert, and a #1 Filbert to get you rolling on your project.

http://www.picturetrail.com/dannodaman
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:12 PM   #3
Bartholomew
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Thanks Danno, and happy belated b-day, hope you had a good one!
Bartholomew is offline   Reply With Quote