Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 02-10-2020, 01:43 PM   #311
Ish3183
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyiori View Post
I'm on the fence, even tho spec fiction has economy shipping stated, i'm sure i'll get stuck with express shipping at $350, still looking at about $1361 for xm version vs SS $748. So is XM really $613 better than SS ?

The wires not being tight bother me, and also the muscles bulging all over the place and lines all over kinda do to (i know some people like this).

I think if sideshow would have released a alternate portrait it would have been better. But unsure and wonder if any more changes will be done from the prototype on SS and XM
Changes at this point seem doubtful considering SS is expected to ship by April. Not sure about XM but I'd imagine similar scenario where it's late to change anything.
Ish3183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:25 AM   #312
austintheng
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

When was Colossus supposed to ship in the previous XM's old schedule? Was it Q4 together with Magik?
austintheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:39 AM   #313
Colossal
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Price isn't a selling point for me, quality is. Bel's anatomy just can't be beat for me at the moment, and that chest, pose and anatomy is heavily influenced by Lou Ferrigno's hulk I'd wager, or at least brings that nostalgia to the look for me.

Both bases are weak, the XM is over produced and too busy, and definitely too big, the Danger Room SS base is very simple but still better than yet another destroyed X Mansion base or Sentinel part, and for me wins out because it's far smaller and allows the rest of the X-Men to be assembled closer, as they should be.

The XM Colossus looks great, but I'm not a fan of how the separation lines in the body don't line up on the body parts that are in line (I don't remember ever seeing it like that in the comics), especially on his torso and legs. The face is too harsh and not what I'm looking for in a Colossus, that you can get from any Hulk sculpt. Also while they've tried to show a powerful pose, for me he seems too far extended to need to throw/swing something so small. Also, the suit is far too overly textured by a mile for me.

SS is exactly what I'm personally looking for, much like the original SS, a stoic silent power emanating from an imposing character. While at the time I used to think the SS was definitive, despite the simple mixed media and the excessively large base (you can actually fit the OG Wolverine PF ON TOP of the base between his legs!), as soon as I saw Bel's Colossus, I had to order. I couldn't even tell you what it cost, I just hit the order button.

Stoic, museum quality, fantastic anatomy and I love the head sculpt, particularly the eyes. The base as I say isn't great but space saving.

The Lockheed - I'm convinced that Sideshow played on the notion that fans would want Kitty AND Lockheed, so tried to force people to buy the two rivals Colossus and Juggernaut. I'd like to see if there's any way of positioning Lockheed on the base (nearmint?), rather than on Colossus as I do think it detracts/distracts a little, but if not I will display him as he looks fun in the pics!

Really can't wait for mine to arrive, but I do think any Colossus fan should be happy with either as they clearly show two difference sides of the same coin, it really just depends which side represents the character to you.
Colossal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:32 AM   #314
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

Well this is an XM thread I think you got lost somewhere on this forum .
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:21 AM   #315
Colossal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby1938 View Post
I know exactly where I am Subby, on a public forum, discussing on both the Sideshow and XM groups, I think it's you who needs to remember where you are, you're very quick to voice your own opinion it seems.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:41 AM   #316
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby1938 View Post
It’s a statue forum Subby where comparing like pieces is commonplace. His well thought out critique fits fine in either the SS or XM Colossus thread.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:22 PM   #317
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal View Post
Price isn't a selling point for me, quality is. Bel's anatomy just can't be beat for me at the moment, and that chest, pose and anatomy is heavily influenced by Lou Ferrigno's hulk I'd wager, or at least brings that nostalgia to the look for me.

Both bases are weak, the XM is over produced and too busy, and definitely too big, the Danger Room SS base is very simple but still better than yet another destroyed X Mansion base or Sentinel part, and for me wins out because it's far smaller and allows the rest of the X-Men to be assembled closer, as they should be.

The XM Colossus looks great, but I'm not a fan of how the separation lines in the body don't line up on the body parts that are in line (I don't remember ever seeing it like that in the comics), especially on his torso and legs. The face is too harsh and not what I'm looking for in a Colossus, that you can get from any Hulk sculpt. Also while they've tried to show a powerful pose, for me he seems too far extended to need to throw/swing something so small. Also, the suit is far too overly textured by a mile for me.

SS is exactly what I'm personally looking for, much like the original SS, a stoic silent power emanating from an imposing character. While at the time I used to think the SS was definitive, despite the simple mixed media and the excessively large base (you can actually fit the OG Wolverine PF ON TOP of the base between his legs!), as soon as I saw Bel's Colossus, I had to order. I couldn't even tell you what it cost, I just hit the order button.

Stoic, museum quality, fantastic anatomy and I love the head sculpt, particularly the eyes. The base as I say isn't great but space saving.

The Lockheed - I'm convinced that Sideshow played on the notion that fans would want Kitty AND Lockheed, so tried to force people to buy the two rivals Colossus and Juggernaut. I'd like to see if there's any way of positioning Lockheed on the base (nearmint?), rather than on Colossus as I do think it detracts/distracts a little, but if not I will display him as he looks fun in the pics!

Really can't wait for mine to arrive, but I do think any Colossus fan should be happy with either as they clearly show two difference sides of the same coin, it really just depends which side represents the character to you.

I get the complaints with XM's version, but they're not enough to sway me to purchase SS version... SS Version almost looks too animated/cartoon looking in the face especially with the paint application of his bland gray skin which IMO doesn't even look like metal. I don't think I've ever seen SS do a good-looking metal paint application. They botched it on the Captain Phasma PF also. I mean even in the comics they always showed him with silver looking metal skin and not dull gray skin.

As for XM's base, it goes perfectly with SS Wolverine and X-23 PF's and several of the XM X-Men statues. Personally when I display a group of statues together I like their bases to match, looks 100 x's better than having multiple bases that look out of place with each other. Recently a couple collectors have posted pictures of all their X-Men statues together on one table and IMO all the varying bases look horrible together...

That said, given that several X-Men statues now have the Danger Room base SS Colossus would go good with those statues, even XM has one danger room base with Iceman.

Although if you're displaying each statue on it's on shelf then the style of the base becomes moot IMO...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:42 PM   #318
built2shred
Phoenix

As for the lines on his skin, it kind of depends on who draws him, some artists do show the lines not matching up in his muscle groups like how XM sculpted it, but I do agree the majority of the time the lines do line up in the comics...

built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:55 PM   #319
Colossal

I can't speak to the bases too much, there's a high possibility I'll be displaying him with either the OG SS Gambit (with the excessively large circular X base), or the new XM Gambit I have on pre-order, depending on which looks better suited with him!
Old 05-03-2020, 01:06 PM   #320
Colossal

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I get the complaints with XM's version, but they're not enough to sway me to purchase SS version... SS Version almost looks too animated/cartoon looking in the face especially with the paint application of his bland gray skin which IMO doesn't even look like metal. I don't think I've ever seen SS do a good-looking metal paint application. They botched it on the Captain Phasma PF also. I mean even in the comics they always showed him with silver looking metal skin and not dull gray skin.
I agree there in terms of the metallic finish, but your mileage may differ depending on preference. Look at Gootch's short youtube video/review on Colossus, the finish actually seems more reflective depending on the light setup you have. But at the same time, I let go of my OG SS Surfer because it lost a lot of detail because of the finish (in general I'm not a fan of chrome as a result either).

He gives a good account of his likes and dislikes on the SS piece, same with nearmint.