Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 02-12-2020, 03:42 PM   #1
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Is Superman a has been ?

Yes, in my opinion, Superman is a has been. He was art back in the day but now, the movement that involves him is no more... Art Deco is a thing of past and Superman is a part of Art Deco movement. That makes him a has Been trying to out live his time desperatly... He's no longer art.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:46 PM   #2
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:51 PM   #3
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

You don't have to answer every thread, you know. Especially if you have no idea.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:04 PM   #4
qz33
Rescue

Superman like James Bond arose from a certain time and thinking and kinda only works when in that period.

But in everyone's life there is a time when they themselves are in that same time period and mental thinking.
Even Art Deco has it's place in art history and still brings influence today.

Like Romeo and Juliet. Killing yourself over an attractive romantic infatuation is truly foolish but at 15 it sure feels like life or death.

So my answer is Superman (and I'll include Captain America) are truly eternal; they are continual not continuous.

Really trying to make a monthly income off any character is a fool's errand.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:04 PM   #5
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

OK, I will say it plainly then. I wholeheartedly disagree with everything you said. You are wrong. And you aren't going to change my mind that you are wrong. So to prove I do not post in every thread I will not come back here anymore because it would be a further waste of mine and your time.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:13 PM   #6
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Superman like James Bond arose from a certain time and thinking and kinda only works when in that period.

But in everyone's life there is a time when they themselves are in that same time period and mental thinking.
Even Art Deco has it's place in art history and still brings influence today.

Like Romeo and Juliet. Killing yourself over an attractive romantic infatuation is truly foolish but at 15 it sure feels like life or death.

So my answer is Superman (and I'll include Captain America) are truly eternal; they are continual not continuous.

Really trying to make a monthly income off any character is a fool's errand.
Don't get me wrong. I respect Superman and Love him but as you said ''make a monthly income off any character is a fool's errand'' DC keeps him going to make money and to do that took him out of his art roots. He's eternal but as a legend in my opinion, not as a modern consept as a current thing, his time has passed long time a go. It's like bulding Roman influanced building today, you know. It's not art anymore, it's just banal repeat. back at 1930s and 40s Superman was art as the art deco lasted, but today he's not art in my humble opinion.

not: what i meant by Has Been was he is no longer being Art, actually.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:14 PM   #7
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
OK, I will say it plainly then. I wholeheartedly disagree with everything you said. You are wrong. And you aren't going to change my mind that you are wrong. So to prove I do not post in every thread I will not come back here anymore because it would be a further waste of mine and your time.
Sure dude, the mind is yours. If you believe you can bring something creative to conversation, you are welcomed but if you don't know Art Deco movement... May be you should check out wiki and do some research and come back.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:20 PM   #8
Mister H
Green Goblin

What are your thoughts on Batman?
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:23 PM   #9
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
Don't get me wrong. I respect Superman and Love him but as you said ''make a monthly income off any character is a fool's errand'' DC keeps him going to make money and to do that took him out of his art roots. He's eternal but as a legend in my opinion, not as a modern consept as a current thing, his time has passed long time a go. It's like bulding Roman influanced building today, you know. It's not art anymore, it's just banal repeat. back at 1930s and 40s Superman was art as the art deco lasted, but today he's not art in my humble opinion.
I truly believe art repeats but with variations.

But like with Star Wars have to wait for the right timing else it's just slave driving and it disenchants.

All this stuff is just a hero's journey. Yeah in the 70s and 80s there was a huge push to make them relatable to real life but it's all been done.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:28 PM   #10
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
I truly believe art repeats but with variations.

But like with Star Wars have to wait for the right timing else it's just slave driving and it disenchants.

All this stuff is just a hero's journey. Yeah in the 70s and 80s there was a huge push to make them relatable to real life but it's all been done.
I believe art movements are not repeateble, they all have their time's requirements and once they are done, they are done. No one should resurract them, That's wrong. It should make way for the new movement that has the requirement of its new time.