Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Iron Studios

Old 02-17-2020, 08:58 PM   #321
m4rc3low
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
I contacted SS and am waiting to hear back now.

I've started researching some possible solutions, but have a lot of questions on their viability or potential for effectiveness. I don't think I will get answers in the next couple days, so right now I'm just hoping for an extension on the return window- if they can't get me a replacement.

Even if I could get a functional replacement, I'm still going to work towards a better engineering solution for the wings, as from what I've seen so far, failure over time is certainly a possibility given the weight they exert on those connection points.

On this sample here, those wings have to be between 1/4-1/3 the weight of the entire statue. That's too heavy for how thinly cast the rest of it is.

It's possible that for the owners like ambash, they were fortunate to get one that's been more robustly cast in general. I hope that's the rule and cases like ours are just the exception.

Also- Damn! I didn't realize the Hush Superman was that tall. I'm not a big Jim Lee fan, but that's an impressive piece!
Hi! I’m from Brazil and Iron Studios usually solve this kind of problem quite well. Contact them at Info@ironstudiosus.com.
m4rc3low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:44 AM   #322
ENDO
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leplant View Post
Unless your statue arrives broken, or breaks during set up, you wouldn't be aware of its impending failure until the window for returning has passed. Based on reviews it doesn’t sound like this is an anomaly. Iron Studios should consider a recall
Recall? I don't see that happening.
ENDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:23 PM   #323
leplant
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDO View Post
Recall? I don't see that happening.
I’ve seen a number of items over the years that should
Have been, but I don’t remember any company doing it. They should though, and I’ll keep reminding them.
leplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:23 PM   #324
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rc3low View Post
Hi! I’m from Brazil and Iron Studios usually solve this kind of problem quite well. Contact them at Info@ironstudiosus.com.
Thanks, brother.
I emailed them Monday, but still haven't heard back yet- from them or SS.

I agree with leplant about the need for a recall- if the rest of the run was cast in the same way mine, and presumably aa909's, was.
Like ENDO, I don't realistically see that happening though.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:31 AM   #325
vorpoll
Shadowhawk

Quote:
Thanks, brother.
I emailed them Monday, but still haven't heard back yet- from them or SS.

I agree with leplant about the need for a recall- if the rest of the run was cast in the same way mine, and presumably aa909's, was.
Like ENDO, I don't realistically see that happening though.
Any update on your situation? I ordered mine thru SpecFiction and am curious just in case mine has similar issues.
vorpoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:13 PM   #326
gearhead
The Herculoids

Sorry to see that some of you are having problems with this guy, that really sucks and I hope you all can get it resolved.

On a positive note, I just got the missing art print in from Sideshow. I didn't even ask about it, it just showed up.
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:53 AM   #327
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorpoll View Post
Any update on your situation? I ordered mine thru SpecFiction and am curious just in case mine has similar issues.
No replacements available from SS (as expected). Since I contacted them within the 30 day period I have the option of returning for full refund or keeping it and getting bascially 10% of the purchase price in store credit to use on something else.
Also as expected, IS took weeks to get back to me and still didn't understand what my problem was, despite my exhaustive description and pics.

I'm on the road for work now, and can't think about it too much. I do have some ideas but won't know if they are feasible for a few weeks yet.

If I want:to keep it, I need to be looking at it as if it were a resin kit that's 90% completely finished. Plenty of modelers out there who could find multiple ways to solve that last 10% problem. This is one of those things that is part of the nuts and bolts of this hobby, IMO - repair and reclamation.
It sucks that it's necessary with a new purchase, but with a restrictively low edition size, you either find a way to make things work or you miss out on it entirely.

For me, this one is worth at least some effort put into trying to find a solution.

I'll have more to say on it in a couple weeks.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:01 PM   #328
aa909
The Green Hornet

Quote:
No replacements available from SS (as expected). Since I contacted them within the 30 day period I have the option of returning for full refund or keeping it and getting bascially 10% of the purchase price in store credit to use on something else.
Also as expected, IS took weeks to get back to me and still didn't understand what my problem was, despite my exhaustive description and pics.

I'm on the road for work now, and can't think about it too much. I do have some ideas but won't know if they are feasible for a few weeks yet.

If I want:to keep it, I need to be looking at it as if it were a resin kit that's 90% completely finished. Plenty of modelers out there who could find multiple ways to solve that last 10% problem. This is one of those things that is part of the nuts and bolts of this hobby, IMO - repair and reclamation.
It sucks that it's necessary with a new purchase, but with a restrictively low edition size, you either find a way to make things work or you miss out on it entirely.

For me, this one is worth at least some effort put into trying to find a solution.

I'll have more to say on it in a couple weeks.
Good Luck dude. Looking forward to learning your thoughts on how you will approach the "fix"
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:28 PM   #329
danhatt
Doh!

I just received the statue today and was able to assemble it with few difficulties. Based on the experiences of some others that received damaged statues, I was relieved to see that there was no damage. This was my first Iron Studios purchase so I was not entirely sure what to expect. Here are a few thoughts I have regarding the statue.

1. The statue is amazing! I usually limit purchases to DC Designer and Kotobukiya Star Wars and Marvel statues. When I first saw the prototype of the Hawkman statue I was smitten and I have to say I am not disappointed with the final product, even though it is far more expensive than a majority of the statues I have purchased in the past.

2. Despite how much I appreciate the statue, I am not sure whether I would order directly from Iron Studios in the future or preorder through them. As a first time customer, I did not have the greatest customer experience pertaining to information provided regarding estimated delivery dates and the use of a discount code. Though unlike a number of previous reports I have read in the past regarding response time, I received responses to all my inquires within 24 hours. At the same time, at least one of the responses turned out to be incorrect.

3. Assembly was pretty straightforward with one exception. There is a ring on the belt of the statue in which to attach the sword through a tiny hole drilled in the hilt of the sword. I, for the life of me, could not unhook the clasp of the ring in order to attach the sword. The ring was so tightly clasped that I needed to use two needle nosed pliers to pry it open. In doing so, I was afraid I was going to break the loop of the belt that secures the ring. Fortunately, I was able to tease it open. Part of the problem was there was not much clearance with the loop and the clasp.

4. The nuances, textures, and artistic design of the statue are just phenomenal.

5. The only problem I observe with the statue I received is that there is an significant gap between the bottom of the front foot and the statue stand. I would think the statue would be designed to have both feet flush with the stand. At no point does the front foot sit flush with the stand. I am not sure if I will need to place a shim to secure the figure. As the figure now stands, it is a bit wobbly. It would be a lot more stable if both feet were flush with the stand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawkman full.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	129007   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0364.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	129008   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0365.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	129009  
danhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:55 AM   #330
ambasah
Red Skull

congrats on the statue danhatt.

I agree about attaching the sword...a pain in the a$$ ! I had it all assembled on my shelf and that was the last thing to attach...I just assumed it was some sort of magnet...so I did not bother to do it earlier. I decided to just "loop it" on by the hilt which I am fine with.

no gap on mine and have not heard of issues in that regard. I would just give it time...let gravity due it's thing. One trick I have been using it so rub some wd-40 on all the pegs on my statues before assembly. It does wonders!
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote