harry potter 1 - 6/10
harry potter 2 - 6/10
harry potter 3 - 7/10
harry potter 4 - 7/10
harry potter 5 - 8/10
harry potter 6 - 8/10
harry potter 7 - 7/10
harry potter 8 - 8.5/10

never seen these before but my recent trip to universal studios inspired me to give them a go. i had no idea this gets as dark as it does
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:28 PM   #26312
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I get all that, of course. Perhaps the full extent of comedic tone gets lost on me because I'm Jewish and I know of so many people who lost loved ones in the most heinous fashion during the Holocaust. That being said, I can certainly see how a film like this could be enjoyed by others. Good for them.

I still gave this 7/10 despite my personal issues with it.

On a side note, I would not display a poster on my wall with the swastika on it, even it's a stunning Alex Ross painting of Captain America fighting nazis. While some people may dismiss the deeper meaning the imagery might hold for me, I can't, as it would take my mind "there", if that makes any sense, as it would many of the people I know. In the end, there are lots of other things I can display on my wall. In any event, glad to hear you and your family enjoyed the film!
It's worth noting that director Tiaka Waititi is himself half-Jewish and Scarlett Johansson is Jewish too. There are interviews with them where they discuss the same reservations you have about the movie.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:58 PM   #26313
SickleClaw
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
harry potter 1 - 6/10
harry potter 2 - 6/10
harry potter 3 - 7/10
harry potter 4 - 7/10
harry potter 5 - 8/10
harry potter 6 - 8/10
harry potter 7 - 7/10
harry potter 8 - 8.5/10

never seen these before but my recent trip to universal studios inspired me to give them a go. i had no idea this gets as dark as it does
Oh yeah I feel in the books you really get a sense for how Harry is growing up as the threats escalate with each book. Definitely goes some places in the last few books thats for sure.
SickleClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:38 PM   #26314
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
harry potter 1 - 6/10
harry potter 2 - 6/10
harry potter 3 - 7/10
harry potter 4 - 7/10
harry potter 5 - 8/10
harry potter 6 - 8/10
harry potter 7 - 7/10
harry potter 8 - 8.5/10

Did you notice the changes in Dumbledore? I know they had to recast with Richard Harris' passing, but I preferred him because he was naturally more kind. Gambon always seemed gruffer, which obviously works as the movies/books progress.

Did you read the books? I LOVE them. Book 4 (Goblet of Fire) is my favorite, but lots of people prefer Book 3 (Prisoner of Azkaban) or Book 5 (Order of the Phoenix) more.

I need to get to Universal Studios. You have me beat there
Demona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:12 PM   #26315
SONICobra
Batman

i have not read the books, i actually have quite the backlog of comic books i want to read but i am thinking about getting my gf an audible subscription so she can listen to them and fill me in. one of my buddies said the books are better which doesnt surprise me as "the books usually are better"

i noticed the change of actor immediately. partly because it was driving me nuts trying to think of where i knew richard harris from (gladiator). also his demeanor was quite a bit different as you noted. harris was much kinder and more regal. at first i found the change somewhat jarring but grew to like the final dumbledore

if you get a chance - GO! i knew nothing about the world before going there but the environment is so immersive and rich with detail its impossible not to appreciate it. i can only imagine how it would be if you were already a fan

Old 02-24-2020, 05:21 PM   #26316
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:

i noticed the change of actor immediately. partly because it was driving me nuts trying to think of where i knew richard harris from (gladiator). also his demeanor was quite a bit different as you noted. harris was much kinder and more regal. at first i found the change somewhat jarring but grew to like the final dumbledore
Interesting to watch the old musical "Camelot" with a young Richard Harris. Talented actor.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:56 PM   #26317
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
Interesting to watch the old musical "Camelot" with a young Richard Harris. Talented actor.
pretty impressive imdb, ill have to check it out - ive enjoyed him in the few movies ive seen that hes in
Old 02-24-2020, 06:16 PM   #26318
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
harry potter 1 - 6/10
harry potter 2 - 6/10
harry potter 3 - 7/10
harry potter 4 - 7/10
harry potter 5 - 8/10
harry potter 6 - 8/10
harry potter 7 - 7/10
harry potter 8 - 8.5/10

I really enjoy all the Harry Potter movies (and of course the books). Probably couldn't rate any above an 8 but I also couldn't rate any below a 7. Unlike Star Wars, there isn't a Harry Potter movie I can't watch.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:40 PM   #26319
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
I really enjoy all the Harry Potter movies (and of course the books). Probably couldn't rate any above an 8 but I also couldn't rate any below a 7. Unlike Star Wars, there isn't a Harry Potter movie I can't watch.
For me it's kind of cool how the movies would grow up with the viewers if they started watching as a kid. The first couple really are pretty tame and fine for a younger kid with a magical kind of vibe and then as they go on and the viewer gets older the movies are more in tune to what they would like. Now that does nothing for those of us who were already crotchety old adults when the first one came out but just an observation.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:12 AM   #26320
Leon
WHITE & NERDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post

Did you read the books? I LOVE them. Book 4 (Goblet of Fire) is my favorite, but lots of people prefer Book 3 (Prisoner of Azkaban) or Book 5 (Order of the Phoenix) more.

I need to get to Universal Studios. You have me beat there
Yeah, I'm a Book 3 kinda guy

And I went to the Harry Potter studies in London last year, it was a blast.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote