Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 05-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #1
greenjeans1978
The Herculoids

Talking New commission: The Little Mermaid Does GREASE, by James Silvani

Disney artist James Silvani (the Darkwing Duck comics) opened up for commissions on his Tumblr site a couple months ago. One of the running gags of his art is that he'll do mashups of Disney characters and other franchises, so me being me, I decided to go down that route.

It should come as no surprise to anyone what I asked for and got in spades:
http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...?piece=1122738

For the record, this is not the first time Mr. Silvani's done a Disney/Grease mashup. He did a recreation of the original one-sheet poster for the film with Roger and Jessica Rabbit (as Poodle Skirt Sandy) some time back. I don't know if he's ever drawn Classic Sandy prior to this, but if any Disney girl fits the profile to a T, it's Ariel. And of course you've got to have Eric along for the ride, and frankly, he came out hilarious.

If you want to see more of Mr. Silvani's art, look right here. There's a lot of unique stuff to his name:
http://silvaniart.tumblr.com/
greenjeans1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
kirthew
Zot

I love Silvani's art. I believe I have a Stitch of his riding the dragon from How to Train your Dragon.
kirthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
greenjeans1978
The Herculoids

I think what I like most about this commission is the contrast between Ariel and Eric. She's every bit the mega-sexy bombshell you would expect Sandy to be, and Eric is just so hilariously goofy. The juxtaposition brings a lot of humor to the piece (and it also echoes the Olivia Newton-John/John Travolta dynamic from the movie).

And I've got to say, I'm surprised by how well the Sandy costume translates into Ariel's color scheme. It looks really good, and it's a perfect fusion of both characters.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
Magneto
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Very nice!
Magneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
greenjeans1978
The Herculoids

An fun little postscript to this: Silvani's fellow Disney artist Amy Mebberson, who put the word out on his commission list, posted a Twitter message demanding cosplay of this piece.

When a Disney artist thinks your commission's worthy of becoming a convention costume, you know you've got a winner.