Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Iron Studios

Old 03-15-2019, 10:16 PM   #131
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Ordered. Both wings from Sideshow. Like myskye23 said, this was nowhere near my radar but it's just too incredibly bad ass to pass up. Both wings is a no brainer. If you're already in for $1200 what's a few hundred more for what is possibly the best switch out ever on a statue. I don't know where I'm gonna put him, but he's on his way.
That was sort of my thinking all along, but now I'm seriously questioning the wisdom of that for me personally.

It's gonna take some nudging of furniture to accommodate the closed wing version in the only space I have for it, but it seems doable.

OTOH, the open wings, as cool as they are, would entail a more wholesale rearrangement of things and even then I still only display any given thing for a few months at a time. If I'm honest with myself, the likelihood of ever displaying the open wings is close to nil. It's the cost of a whole 'nother statue or HT figure for something that will more than likely never get used.

Also, seeing the questionable engineering that went into the 1/10 Ant-man, I'm more skeptical they will be able to pull it off without big problems showing up somewhere down the line.

I'm thinking the wiser thing for me to do all around is to cancel the IS order and just go for the closed wings with SS.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:58 PM   #132
Phoenixblazes
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
That was sort of my thinking all along, but now I'm seriously questioning the wisdom of that for me personally.

It's gonna take some nudging of furniture to accommodate the closed wing version in the only space I have for it, but it seems doable.

OTOH, the open wings, as cool as they are, would entail a more wholesale rearrangement of things and even then I still only display any given thing for a few months at a time. If I'm honest with myself, the likelihood of ever displaying the open wings is close to nil. It's the cost of a whole 'nother statue or HT figure for something that will more than likely never get used.

Also, seeing the questionable engineering that went into the 1/10 Ant-man, I'm more skeptical they will be able to pull it off without big problems showing up somewhere down the line.

I'm thinking the wiser thing for me to do all around is to cancel the IS order and just go for the closed wings with SS.
What issues on the 1/10 Ant Man?

I’ve just received that last week, and I’ve had no engineering issues with it.

I saw a review of it on YouTube, which supposedly was quite loose, however that was also broken, and while mine has a minor bit of movement it was nowhere close to being as bad as the broken one I saw on that YouTube review.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:09 PM   #133
Phoenixblazes
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorpoll View Post
I am thinking of picking this up. I don't have any IS pieces. Any worries about quality here? All my experience is with SS and XM. It certainly looks impressive
Yes and no.

I’ve got quite a substantial collection of Iron Studio pieces. 2 dozen 1/10 scale, 8x 1/6 scale and 12x 1/4 pieces including duplicates.

And while I’ve had issues with some. The 1/4 comic based Spider-Man piece is pretty much the only one I regret purchasing, and I’ve also had issues with their Mark 45 with light leakage like you wouldn’t believe. But overall my experience with their MCU pieces are fairly positive, so much so that I bought duplicates of the entire Team Cap set as they were impressive pieces, especially when asssembled together. And I can’t wait to receive the Thanos and Iron Spider pieces.

I didn’t get their Vader but that is widely praised, or their comic based Punisher which had some minor breakage issues during shipping etc.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:40 PM   #134
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
What issues on the 1/10 Ant Man?

I’ve just received that last week, and I’ve had no engineering issues with it.

I saw a review of it on YouTube, which supposedly was quite loose, however that was also broken, and while mine has a minor bit of movement it was nowhere close to being as bad as the broken one I saw on that YouTube review.
Going by the one youtube review I saw (is there only one?), the piece didn't look particularly well balanced.
Between the large figure having a small, narrower anchor point that isn't below the figure (allowing gravity to assist), but to the horizontal back side, as well as the back of the base likely not being weighted heavy enough, the Ant-man construct looked like it could topple over easily.
There shouldn't be any play at all there to my mind.

If that isn't the case, I'm happy to hear it as I still have it and the Wasp on order myself.

I ended up cancelling the dual wing version of this from IS.
In the end, I'll probably pay as much or a lot more from SS no matter which option I go with, but I've had so many QC issues with all manner of online purchases the last couple years, I'm not enthusiastic about rolling the dice on something this pricey- and pricey to ship back and forth- with a company I have no experience with.

I also want a little more time to weigh the options as far as the wing choices and be fully comfortable with my final decision.
I put more thought into it last night, took some measurements and hashed out some ideas that might allow me to display the wings open after all.
It would definitely be cool to have that option in reserve.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:10 AM   #135
Don
Frackin!

Apologies if question has already been asked: any speculation or idea on what the edition size(s) could be? Considering when I might purchase this. The piece is absolutely epic!
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 03:25 PM   #136
Phoenixblazes
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Going by the one youtube review I saw (is there only one?), the piece didn't look particularly well balanced.
Between the large figure having a small, narrower anchor point that isn't below the figure (allowing gravity to assist), but to the horizontal back side, as well as the back of the base likely not being weighted heavy enough, the Ant-man construct looked like it could topple over easily.
There shouldn't be any play at all there to my mind.

If that isn't the case, I'm happy to hear it as I still have it and the Wasp on order myself.

I ended up cancelling the dual wing version of this from IS.
In the end, I'll probably pay as much or a lot more from SS no matter which option I go with, but I've had so many QC issues with all manner of online purchases the last couple years, I'm not enthusiastic about rolling the dice on something this pricey- and pricey to ship back and forth- with a company I have no experience with.

I also want a little more time to weigh the options as far as the wing choices and be fully comfortable with my final decision.
I put more thought into it last night, took some measurements and hashed out some ideas that might allow me to display the wings open after all.
It would definitely be cool to have that option in reserve.
Regarding Ant Man, I’ve had him for a few weeks, and I’ve had no issues. One of the two YouTube videos I saw was from Xtreme Collectibles, and I can tell you the piece I have isn’t nearly as loose as his was. The play that it does have is barely noticeable. And on mine the base is completely flush to the ground as well, so I can’t spin it on a point either; even though it is front heavy.

For Hawkman it was probably best to cancel from Iron Studios and hopefully order it from Sideshow, because with Sideshow you know what kind of customer service you’re going to get, whereas with Iron Studios that’s still to be determined. I really want this piece (especially the closed winged version) but I’ve just got too many pieces on preorder at the moment.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:02 PM   #137
gearhead
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Apologies if question has already been asked: any speculation or idea on what the edition size(s) could be? Considering when I might purchase this. The piece is absolutely epic!
Hard to say, but I'm betting pretty low based on their other 1/3s.

Batman (Black) 450
Superman 400
Wonder Woman 200

All much more popular characters than Hawkman. BUT, this Hawkman has been very well received, and it's not like there's a lot of other Hawkman statues on the market like there are for the other three. Still, it's big and expensive and takes up a lot of space. We also don't know how they're going to number them since there's 3 versions. I'm assuming three different number runs. My guess is 250 total. I would also guess that an edition size will be posted before they sell out like they did for the others.
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:08 PM   #138
craigcliff1
The Masters of Evil

I would think no more than 400
craigcliff1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:14 PM   #139
Don
Frackin!

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
...any speculation or idea on what the edition size(s) might be?
Thank you guys for the insight and input. Those suggestions sound right on point. Although I have been a quiet observer on this board for some time, I want to say that I really appreciate this community forum and its members for the wealth of information and collegiality provided. Thank you very much!
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:34 PM   #140
craigcliff1
The Masters of Evil

I was on here for almost ten years when I joined
craigcliff1 is online now   Reply With Quote