Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 02-24-2006, 03:15 PM   #1
Colossal
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Sideshow's 1/4 Thing in Review

First off, please forgive the poor quality of the photos, I tried to clean them up as best as possible for the review and felt that I just had to review this statue.

The Thing has been a stalwart marvel icon for over 40 years, and just like his jade friend, has often seen variations on the way the character is portrayed. A point of great debate (to this day) is the appearance and introduction of the character to the silver screen in Fantastic Four (2005).

From the size and proportion of the Thing to the design (or lack thereof) of his almost trademark caveman brow - fans were split on their vision of what Ben Grimm should look like in the movie.

Sideshow presents fans of both the movie and the character with the 1/4 scale Thing statue.

But the question arises: is it clobberin' time for its sculptors, or is this a piece that even Aunt Petunia herself would be proud to display? Read on.

The Sculpt
The statue itself, created by artist Moto Hata, is a rarity - it is not based on the movie version of the Thing, but rather the inspiration for it, having been used by Spectral Motion to create the full-sized suit in the movie.

Standing atop a rocky base, Ben Grimm stands in his Fantastic Four costume, skin tight trousers and giant boots, affected by the same space radiation that changed Ben Grimm from a proud astronaut from the Bronx to the Thing, a monstrous mass of orange rock - powerful yet tormented. His pose shows the unmoving power of his physique, with a strong piercing gaze and determined grimace. Whatever he's thinking - he means business!

Added to the statue, as a nice touch for comic fans - Ben holds a rather large stogie in one hand, a treat as the movie Thing didnt smoke them on screen.

The quality of the sculpt, from the texture of the trousers to the carving of every fragmented rock covering the Thing's torso is exquisite, as should be expected seeing as its movie counterpart had to look as good as possible on a giant screen for millions of people. Although not as huge or exaggerated as the Hulk or how he is represented in comics, the statue exudes power in its stance and limbs. Not the most dynamic, but definitely a truly powerful look to a truly powerful hero.

I for one really enjoyed the movie and paid close attention to the look of the Thing - the smaller brow isnt an issue for me, the size is still reasonably 'hulking' and you can gain a sense of emotion from the face, sadness and power personified.

Im very much into bodybuilding and it comes at no surprise that part of my interest in statues comes from the aesthetics of the musculature of these characters - how over the top they often are in terms of symmetry, proportion and scale (the Hulk and Colossus are my all time favourites). When I opened the box to this HUGE 16" tall statue, I was overwhelmed with pride and excitement, this statue is a pure symbol for strength and power.

It is a great ode to the character and a fantastic sculpture that its creator should be very proud of.

The Paint Job
I can not see anything wrong with the paint application of this statue. The colours are obviously designed to be darker than the brighter comic colours we are more used to, in order to blend it into a 3D world in a more realistic manner. The uniform has dark, deep blues and greys akin to the film. The rock skin is what it is all about though and its fantastic.

Each rocky facet is a mixture of darker shading, and lighter jagged highlights, giving it a truly authentic impression that it is orange rock. The different paints blend seamlessly with the craggy design of the body - pardon the pun, but its fantastic to behold the level of detail to pull the effect off. To finish, the ever loving blue eyed thing's baby blues have never looked better!

Value
The price I got the statue for was shocking, around £90 ($150-160 dollars) off the UK rrp. That's half price including shipping for such a great collector's item. In the US, ebay prices and store prices vary, but even SS offers this for a lot less than their newer 1/4 scales, around $75-100 cheaper. I cant compare its worth to that of the other 1/4 scales as I have yet to see them, but I am definitely glad to have invested in this huge piece.

Conclusion
Its truly up to the beholder - are you a disgruntled fan who has gripes about how the movie Thing looks compared to the comic version, a fan of the character and the new look, or just a collector who admires a good sculpt and paint up. Depending on your position, you may love or hate the sculpt itself. But I doubt anyone can question the level of immaculate detail and time taken in sculpting and painting this one - its a definite crowd pleaser, truly standing tall amongst most statues and although I agree its not the definitive representation of the character, for me its a great expression of the character in every sense.

If you are a fan of the look, you wont be able to fault the sculpt or the paint of the big guy 5 out of 5.
Colossal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Very nice review Colossal. I've been thinking about picking this up as i think the sculpt is top notch even if it doesn't look like the comic version most of us are familar with. But there is no denying the excellent sculpt and the paint application looks fantastic.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
Neomotion
I pity the fool!

I've seen this first hand and this thing is a beauty and big.

Good review btw!
Neomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:46 PM   #4
CompEng1
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

I'm not knocking the quality of the sculpt but as a long time fan of The Thing in comics this version just doesn't measure up for me. I'm really into the "comic to real life" translation of heroes and overall I think Hollywood has done a decent job. In this case however, it's like making Blade a white midget. This Thing is too small(more like the build of a human bodybuilder, not a guy who can bench press 80 tons), doesn't have anything close to that trademark brow, and the heaviest thing he lifted in the movie was a car. Just doesn't sound like the Thing to me. The sculpt looks great it just doesn't look like a great sculpt of The Thing IMO.
CompEng1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 12:27 AM   #5
bat_collector
Galactus

nice review!
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:01 AM   #6
Colossal
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Thanks guys!

I agree CompEng1, when I look at this statue in my head I dont see the Thing, I automatically see movie Thing and there is a difference. But at the same time, because I accept artistic licence and quite like the look despite those differences, the first thing I see is how fantastic the piece really is.

I do agree that despite this being a brilliant piece of work, that only fans that accept the difference will buy it. Maybe thats partly why its cheaper than all the other 1/4 scales, because its a distant look from its comic counterpart so not as popular.

I may get stick for this, but even though other FS statues out there look far more like comic Thing, I havent seen any of this calibre and quality.
Colossal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:27 PM   #7
Grievous
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

I liked this when I bought it, but now I wish I hadn't. Not only is it basically worthless now, but it won't have any counterparts to display next to it!
Grievous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:57 PM   #8
Xeno
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

I have this one. I really like it! REally great sculpt. Only minor gripe with the painting I have is the cigar. It's not a cigar-color. btw, you say he doesn't smoke them on screen, but doesn't he smoke one at the end of the movie? During that party.. I'm not 100% sure but I think he did. Oh those shoes.. I think those aren't movie accurate. But aI really love the face..
Xeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 01:43 PM   #9
riderV3
ROT Minister of Scientific Emergency Management

Thanks for all the opinions, especially Colossal, photo is good, and the review is so great! everyone is just so nice on this forum, I'll think about getting this piece, thanks a lot!
riderV3 is offline   Reply With Quote