Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 09-13-2015, 06:50 PM   #21
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
Best: Ghost Rider
Worst by far is Elektra. Wow.
That seems to be the consensus. And I just want to be clear that she is a nice statue, but not stellar, and the reason she is not stellar has nothing to do with the face sculpt or the base (unbelievably cool stain glass background), but it is the AD and choice of pose. If she didn't have Sais in her hands, I wouldn't know what the hell she is doing. I would have thought a table top dancer or something like that.

Elektra is a character that is a fighter, and she is involved in lots of battles. So to best represent her martial arts and fighting skills, she should have been doing something like slashing her sais or doing something with a sword in a more dynamic pose. For me, it is important to represent what a character does in statue form. I often think much less of museum poses because they aren't doing nothing but standing there and looking stupid or arrogant or something along those lines. There needs to be some context with a character...at least as far as I am concerned.

This is one of the reasons why I am so uninthralled with a lot of SS AD because they play it too safe, or do something that has no representation to the powers of a character (Emma Frost, Rogue) just to name a few. Give me some meat and not some milk. I will reiterate that a museum pose every now and then is ok for characters that it represents, but there are too many simple poses and that unnerves me to no end. I want action and excitement.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #22
TethMau74
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Most liked:
Black Panther (concept)

Least liked:
Classic Iron Man

WTH Happened:
NO information on Winter Soldier!? That project was announced several months ago but we are already seeing concepts of newly announced Namor, Rhino, Goblin and Black Panther??

Anticipated future discussions:
1) Which statue will get the general consensus of being the next "grail?"
2) How to acquire any of these statues?
3) How to afford all the new great statues?
4) Where to put all of these great statues!?
TethMau74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #23
Thor57
Teen Titans

I still think her face looks more like a doll. Now, like I said elsewhere, I think if it wasn't for the mask and green skin, Marvel and She-Hulk could be considered blank too. I can also see the reason people don't like Thor. He's stiff and a lot more plain than some recent revelations. I personally love him.

Of the new additions that weren't released months ago, I'd say.......

1. Ghost Rider
2. Venom
3a Darkness
3. Namor
4. Black Panther

Reserve judgement on Iron Man. That could go either way. I need to see it painted.

I won't rank the DC guys, as Batman is the only one I'd spend money on. If these were global and easier to get, I might get Joker as I go back and forth on him, but don't like him enough to do the dance.
Thor57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:00 PM   #24
entrari
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Top 3 statues at the show
IM Mark VII
Phoenix
Bobba Fett

Worst
Electra
Classic IM
She-Hulk

WTH Happened
Strange collection of flippers on the GR Q
Missing GR prototype
Mysterio

Most anticipated
Storm troopers protos
entrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:48 PM   #25
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

Elektra seemed to be in trouble from the start. I never knew why they didn't change the pose. I never liked the first head sculpt that much, but the alt looked great at first but fell a couple of notches once I saw it painted. The body sculpt is very nice and probably has the sexiest proportions, but the pose just falls flat. Still might be one that I get, but certainly not a must have.

The Iron Man MK VII looks spectacular, but I am really trying to stay away from picking up any Marvel movie statues. at least at XM prices.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:58 PM   #26
Thor57
Teen Titans

With the tease of Black Panther, if I can get him, I'll have half of this complete!
Thor57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:18 PM   #27
Cali604
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.
Adamantium Plus Member

In my subjective opinion:

Painted Statues

1) Thor - I understand that his classic costume looks plain compared to the rest. If XM had been able to modernize his look it probably would have been insane. But in my eyes this is existential 100% Thor. Erick Sosa's sculpt is perfect from head to toe.

2) Thanos - Once again this is the perfect Thanos. Size is great, he looks like a beast. He isnt one of my fav villains but if he was,this would be a must have.

3) Daredevil - I love the XM treatment to his costume. He looks slick, great pose, and great paint apps. Best Daredevil I have ever seen.

If I was being Objective sculptwise and design would put

Blackbolt and Iron MK VII at the top. But I dont have the interest in those characters as much as the others.

Unpainted Protos

1) Kraven and Ghost Rider wasnt shown as an unpainted proto but these two would be tied.

Concepts.

1) Batman - Imho people have underestimated Batman. If anyone wants to predict the next grail...hands down this is it. He will rival Magneto if not exceed him. His painted look will be insane. You are getting so much in one statue. Every reveal is better than the last.

2) Venom - will also shoot up. His musculature, definition and all the details...is going to blow this one up. If they get the third Brock head its off the charts. But as it is he has a great pose and look right now

3) Boba Fett - Details and dynamic pose he is looking amazing. Best Boba ever

4) Joker - Super Psycho...not super scrawny and just looking lethal. Looks Boss for sure
Cali604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:31 PM   #28
EnShinNoi
Midnighter

Best:

The Fearful Fairytale line. I'm surprised nobody has even bothered creating a thread, unless I missed it. Will I ever consider purchasing anything from this this line? Probably not but I always welcome fresh fantasy ideas.

Worst:

The Bane concept. Crossing Bane with a Sumo is not the worst idea in the world but it's the way XM have gone about it. It's just a typical Bane but wearing a kesho-mawashi, wielding a sword (for some bizarre reason) and standing under a torii. I could customise a PCS Honda to look like Bane and it would make a better statue than what XM is suggesting.

As an exploration concept, it's perfectly acceptable. But how does one wind up as that being the final? I have problems with every single one of these Japan/Gotham-verse character but this stands out as being the least inspiring. I think XM are in desperate need of more artistic direction from sources outside of their circle in regards to this line.
EnShinNoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:37 PM   #29
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor57 View Post

With the tease of Black Panther, if I can get him, I'll have half of this complete!
Buddy! Classic Avengers are everything...I'm about where you are mainly because the ones I'm missing haven't been done in 1/4...Wasp, Hank, Hercules and Quicksilver...also I skipped SS Vision because that statue is doing who knows what.

1. Black Panther
The character I wanted to see from XM the most outside of Gambit , even more than Spidey since I'll have a lot of Spidey already.

2. Phoenix
I'll criticize its short comings all day but it's still a captivating statue.

3. Batman
The sculpting is sick and I like the alternate take on Batman, it's more exciting than yet another regular Batman costume, I'm loving this!

4. Boba Fett
All around impressive, I hope pics of the sculpt are released soon

5. Green Goblin
While Namor is a more impressive concept, I really need my favorite's arch nemesis and this version looks like it could be the best 1/4 GG

Tons of great statues I haven't or won't be going after...Namor I'm trying my best to not pursue...Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Ms. Marvel, Thanos, Thor, the very blue looking Black Bolt, etc...I think Harley is going to turn out better than expected if they pull of the full dio, too

Least
1. Classic...er, Cartoon Iron Man
Get it closer to the concept art. He looks like a cartoon robot, not a human proportioned man wearing pieces of metal armor.

2. Kraven
The sculpting is actually top notch and I wanted Kraven but I just don't like the modern take. It reminds me that they resurrected him and that was a bad idea.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:16 AM   #30
StatueArt
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Smile

These 2 my favorites, childhood dream come true
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Utimate swordman.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	92353   Click image for larger version