Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 01-05-2018, 02:50 PM   #11
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
NEVER feel bad about outing artists who don't hold up their end of the bargain. What are you afraid of, not getting the artwork?? When you make a deal with an artist and they don't provide what you've paid them for, that's theft, plain and simple. The fact of the matter is these artists need your money more than you need their art, and a bad rep is the last thing they want.
Preach! ... we need a like button for posts like these!

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:57 AM   #12
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
NEVER feel bad about outing artists who don't hold up their end of the bargain. What are you afraid of, not getting the artwork?? When you make a deal with an artist and they don't provide what you've paid them for, that's theft, plain and simple. The fact of the matter is these artists need your money more than you need their art, and a bad rep is the last thing they want.

I've had my share of run-ins with some artists over the years as well. It's the gross sense of entitlement that gets to me. I've since become not at all deterred from expressing my preferred terms from the start. If they want my money, I must have some say in how things will proceed. However, we still have many artists who want full up front with no set date as to when they will begin or deliver the final product and they want little to no direction at all other than choice of character plus there's little no accountability for poor communication or e-mail follow-up. Can you ever imagine behaving that way with an employer or contracted job?

I'm not sure how this all started. Perhaps secondary sales of original artwork on eBay got people thinking they might be sitting on a potential gold mine. Not sure. All this to say it's rare to find a commission that comes close to matching the attractiveness of a published splash or cover. It can happen, sure, but it isn't common. I can't think of many other things that come with as obvious a Buyer Beware attached.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote