Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 01-01-2006, 12:54 AM   #41
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman
He did the Covers to that Joker Mini series...wasnt that tied into Emperor Joker somehow?

I know the covers on the Supes titles that resembled playing cards were done by Ed M.
Yeah, the Joker mini series actually was not tied to Emperor Joker. The playing card covers were for "Superman/Arkham" which was the lead into "Emperor Joker." Really, the two story lines are one but the playing card covers stopped when "Emperor Joker" began.
wktf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 01:02 AM   #42
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Fantastic Four Special #1
Marvel One Shot
Written by: Dwayne McDuffie
Drawn by: Casey Jones

No one's mentioned this comic yet. I really enjoyed it. The premise is that Reed's been invited to Doom's NYC Latverian embassy for dinner. Doom's declared a truce just for the evening, but Reed and Sue are suspicious. The two are cordial to each other and play a game of chess without the use of a board. It turns out there's just one item that Reed took from Doom on that fateful college day when Doom had his accident. Doom wants it back and Reed's feeling some guilt for having it. He's also feeling guilt for the way he conducted himself on that day in college.

Some of this story seems superfluous. Like the Doom-bots that attack three different locations while Reed and Doom meet. Plus, sorry, isn't Doom stuck in Hell right now courtesy of the Waid/Ringo storyline that put him there? Well, these details aside, Dwayne McDuffie just nails all the characters perfectly, especially Reed and Doom. There's actually a heart warming moment here that is completely believable. The exploration of the element of Reed's psyche, Sue's love for him, and Reed and Doom's relationship are all extremely well handled and even moved forward somewhat in this well crafted, finely executed and brilliant little FF story. Jones' art is quite good if not a little stiff and bocky. But he does a nice Thing.

Primarily, though, JMS could learn a thing or two about plotting and writting from Dwayne McDuffie.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:18 AM   #43
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
Fantastic Four Special #1
Marvel One Shot
Written by: Dwayne McDuffie
Drawn by: Casey Jones

No one's mentioned this comic yet. I really enjoyed it. The premise is that Reed's been invited to Doom's NYC Latverian embassy for dinner. Doom's declared a truce just for the evening, but Reed and Sue are suspicious. The two are cordial to each other and play a game of chess without the use of a board. It turns out there's just one item that Reed took from Doom on that fateful college day when Doom had his accident. Doom wants it back and Reed's feeling some guilt for having it. He's also feeling guilt for the way he conducted himself on that day in college.

Some of this story seems superfluous. Like the Doom-bots that attack three different locations while Reed and Doom meet. Plus, sorry, isn't Doom stuck in Hell right now courtesy of the Waid/Ringo storyline that put him there? Well, these details aside, Dwayne McDuffie just nails all the characters perfectly, especially Reed and Doom. There's actually a heart warming moment here that is completely believable. The exploration of the element of Reed's psyche, Sue's love for him, and Reed and Doom's relationship are all extremely well handled and even moved forward somewhat in this well crafted, finely executed and brilliant little FF story. Jones' art is quite good if not a little stiff and bocky. But he does a nice Thing.

Primarily, though, JMS could learn a thing or two about plotting and writting from Dwayne McDuffie.
GHAH! Did i miss this, it must be sold out where I am...
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 01:38 AM   #44
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wilson
GHAH! Did i miss this, it must be sold out where I am...
Hope not. I came out this past week. Sam, if it's still in my lcs when I go back this Thu (comics coming one day late again due to Mon holiday) I'll pick one up for you.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:51 AM   #45
bat_collector
Galactus

I'm still mad I can't find catowman #50 anywhere
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 10:45 AM   #46
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Hope not. I came out this past week. Sam, if it's still in my lcs when I go back this Thu (comics coming one day late again due to Mon holiday) I'll pick one up for you.

thanks joe. I'll check and see if mine has one, I'll get back to you ASAP. WOrd.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:12 AM   #47
rychehitman
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector
I'm still mad I can't find catowman #50 anywhere

PUH-LENTY of them at my lcs! The one with Zatanna on the cover, right?

Let me know If youwant me to pick one up for ya!
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 03:11 PM   #48
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wilson
Wktf’s Reviews

Daredevil #80
Marvel Comics
Written by: Brian Michael Bendis
Drawn by: Alex Maleev

Oh, snap! How the hell is he going to get out of this one? I’m sorry but this is it. It’s over! There’s no where to go anymore. The Kingpin has done it. Matt Murdock is complete toast. Not the combined efforts of the Black Widow, Elektra, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, the Night Nurse and all of The Hand could thwart the forces The Kingpin put in motion. And poor Ben Urich. The corner he’s been backed into…

But wait a minute. This arc has one more issue to go. And Brubaker and Lark take over after this. So, the title MUST continue. But…how? How? Well, if it never did we’d still have one hell of a final cover with this issue. I’m sorry but The Black Widow and Elektra have never looked better than here where they’re posing together.

I know this is kind of a short review but I don’t know what else I can say without giving away too much. I will say, once again, this is the BEST Daredevil I’ve read since Frank Miller’s days. Sure, it’s not the same. Bendis’ dialogue is a lot choppier and Maleev’s art is more high concept and less fluid, per both their styles. But the frenetic energy of this arc, the pure desperation among all the characters, the panic, the battles, the guest stars all have made this an absolutely terrific read. Along with Brubaker’s “Captain America” this may be the best book Marvel’s putting out today. And this book’s my pick of the week.
So, just checking...Am I the only one this pumped up about Daredevil? My lcs guy tells me it sells out every month in his story so, if that's any indication of other stores, people certainly are buying the title? Other thoughts, comments, etc., about this simply amazing storyline that's ending next month?
Old 01-01-2006, 03:22 PM   #49
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
So, just checking...Am I the only one this pumped up about Daredevil? My lcs guy tells me it sells out every month in his story so, if that's any indication of other stores, people certainly are buying the title? Other thoughts, comments, etc., about this simply amazing storyline that's ending next month?

I'm into it, have been since bendis took over, I just haven't gotten to read this last issue yet...