Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 09-21-2006, 12:29 PM   #11
bane
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Thanks again for the reviews , I'll pick up pride of Bagdad . I'm still not reading Civil War reviews because I haven't read a single issue of the story .
bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:43 PM   #12
Jesse321
Galactus

CW # 4 was BY FAR the best book that Marvel has produced in YEARS! That was true characterization at it's very best! Kudos to Marvel for finally creating a book that's wooing me back to the dark side.

I also have to agree with Sam's observations on BOP .. while Gail's writing still remains consistantly top notch, the art of late has really been a let down. Hopefully that will change soon with the addition of several new agents (including one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE DC characters) to the ladies of BOP!

I'll be reading Union Jack and the other DC picks tonight.

Terrific reviews as usual guys!
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:13 PM   #13
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Thanks, Jesse, but in the "giving credit where credit's due" department that BOP review was supplied by Sam.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:59 PM   #14
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh.goodgrief View Post
Good eye, you Anglophile. Brits tend to slangify 'isn't' into something more like 'int' than 'aint', but I have never ever seen it written down...

I forgot to pick this up at my LCS, but will go back for it. Just as long as the British is better than Brubaker's remarkable overuse of the word 'bloody'. Cap saying 'twit' was fun, even if I'm not sure who in the modern day he could have picked it up from.

I'm not reading anything about Civil War until I have the issue, which should only take another week and a half. Sigh...
indeed brother, I look forward to your opinion. Perhaps an, "ask a british dude" about Union Jack for next months 2nd issue?

Word fellas on Pride of Baghdad. Tough book to read, even tougher to talk about, but something any educated, open-minded soul can gain from...

mwf, post up your thoughts on Union Jack when you get it read...
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:48 PM   #15
tomcat
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Sam,
I'm reading Birds of Prey and enjoying the heck out of it. You brought up a good point about the art being lackluster. A couple of things I caught in this issue -

1. The assistant in Dinah's flower shop - is that Rose from "Rose and Thorn"? Could she be the new member to the Birds?

2. Laughed my head off when "Batgirl" flew in and said "I'm the damn Batgirl!" Haven't I read a similar line recently by another bat?

Love this book.
tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:00 PM   #16
sincity
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

CW #4 in the top panel above the start of goliath's funeral.
who is the guy in the ski mask?
sincity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:44 PM   #17
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

Can't wait until I get my copy of Civil War #4! I got another week to wait. Ouch.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:50 PM   #18
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
Sam,
I'm reading Birds of Prey and enjoying the heck out of it. You brought up a good point about the art being lackluster. A couple of things I caught in this issue -

1. The assistant in Dinah's flower shop - is that Rose from "Rose and Thorn"? Could she be the new member to the Birds?

2. Laughed my head off when "Batgirl" flew in and said "I'm the damn Batgirl!" Haven't I read a similar line recently by another bat?

Love this book.

Not sure about the flowershop girl tom, Jesse, any idea?

Good to hear from you tom, glad to see some new faces in the comic section...
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:30 PM   #19
risingstar
Jedi Order

Is anyone getting the sense that Spiderman is about to go through a serious metamorphosis? I mean, for the longest time, Spidey has been treated like a teenager by most of the heavier hitters in the Marvel Universe like Reed, Iron Man, and Cap. What's bizarre about that is that Spidey has lived through so much, faced countless adversities and generally came out on top. However, his character rarely grew or evolved as a result as Marvel kept writing him as a teenager. This is one of the reasons why I haven't been able to enjoy Spidey all that much lately because it seemed like no matter how much they threw at him, he didn't seem to mature all that much through his experiences. Life doesn't work that way at all. Peter has long deserved a maturity boost in how he's written.

Tony treats Peter like such a chump. He patronizes Peter to the point where you begin to wonder if both of them have lost all sense of reason. I mean, Peter may be insecure but he's not that insecure. And, Tony may be manipulative and bossy but not to this degree.

All this to say that I wonder if the Civil War storyline seems geared to (finally) make a definitive leader out of Spidey. I get the feeling that there is a huge role he has yet to play... He's definitely about to burst... I think when all is said and done, the Marvel Universe will stop seeing him as a meddling seemingly immature superhero.

Any thoughts?
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:43 PM   #20
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wilson View Post
Not sure about the flowershop girl tom, Jesse, any idea?
Yes, that is Rose of Rose & Thorn .. Gail did an EXCELLENT Mini Series with the character last year that was nothing short of brilliant. As to her involvment in the future of BOP, I can't be sure .. but if Gail is introducing her into the series, you can be sure that it's not going to be something casual.

I do know that Man-Hunter and Big Barda will be joining the ladies of BOP in the VERY near future though.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote