Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 01-07-2007, 01:51 PM   #21
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
Over-all, I'm more impressed with 52, which is a tight, cohesive self-contained story starring guys other thans bats/supes/wonder woman. And that's been released on time! And even more shocked how this title, along with a very good Justice, got shunned so easily by guys I've seen stick to lesser titles more fervently.
had to make this a marvel vs. dc thing, didn't you? Get over it, no one cares.
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:52 PM   #22
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Ok, read Civil War last night. I liked it. Civil War is SOOOOOO much better than civil war it isn't even funny. but that isn't that hard, is it?
You mean better than House of M, don't you?

I'm glad you liked it, b_c. I agree with your points about continuity. As I mentioned in my review, Namor's refusal to help Sue after actually pro actively going to Black Panther (see Panther's own title) to enlist him to lead a group of superpeople (Namor included) is one example of poor continuity editing that left me scratching my head.

I disagree about the useless one-shots. I thought the Iron Man/Kingpin one shot was a great story even though it didn't move the core story along. And the Cap/Iron Man story offered the reader a nuanced look into both characters, who share mutual blame for this conflict, as well as their history together that's brought them to this point.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 02:52 PM   #23
bat_collector
Galactus

Questins I'd like answers too

1) who is the daredevil in prison? Iron Fist?

2) who is the mother of the slain child really?

3) is maria hill evil or just misunderstood? It seemed bendis went the extra mile to make her unlikable and then changed everything about her in one issue.

4) why are the x-men taking a back seat. They are all off in outer space right now it seems.

5) can a WW Hulk really unite al the heroes and throw public sentiment behind cap?

6) how can cap's heroes refuse to work side by side against punisher, while Iron man's side has no problem working with Venom, Bullseye, and Task master?????
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #24
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Questins I'd like answers too

1) who is the daredevil in prison? Iron Fist?

2) who is the mother of the slain child really?

3) is maria hill evil or just misunderstood? It seemed bendis went the extra mile to make her unlikable and then changed everything about her in one issue.

4) why are the x-men taking a back seat. They are all off in outer space right now it seems.

5) can a WW Hulk really unite al the heroes and throw public sentiment behind cap?

6) how can cap's heroes refuse to work side by side against punisher, while Iron man's side has no problem working with Venom, Bullseye, and Task master?????
in all fairnes those are questions that require conjectural answers, and you could answer them just as well as anyone else could.

There are a couple though that could be answered: the x-men are staying "neutral" during the war supposedly, and as far as DD I don't know, it probably is iron fist if civil war is out of continuity with the current iron fist book, which it doesn't seem to be so who knows?
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:10 PM   #25
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

To Sam's point, the only one I know for sure is that the Daredevil in Civil War is Iron Fist. There's reference in DD's own book about Iron Fist's being the DD in the states involved in Civil War.

It appears, from the last couple of Iron Man issues that Maria Hill is not evil. She is a hard-ass, though, and completely unsympathetic.

See the first issue of Civil War, the conversation between Tony and Emma, to the answer to your X-Men question.

Other than that, who knows? I think the better question to your last one is how the hell can Iron Man and his team agree to work with killers like Venom, Bullseye and Taskmaster?
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:30 PM   #26
thecallahan
THE HUGGERNAUT!!!

Also, they're keeping the X-Men out of civil war because Marvel feels the Xers have been focal points for a lot of mega events recently and didn't want them to be the focus of another.
thecallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:40 PM   #27
Underdog07
Hercules

The X-Men question was also dealt with in Black Panther when Oreo spoke to Emma Frost and then whined like a spoiled little princess because Emma would not get involved. Basically the X-Men feel it is time some other group with powers gets persecuted.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #28
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
The X-Men question was also dealt with in Black Panther when Oreo spoke to Emma Frost and then whined like a spoiled little princess because Emma would not get involved. Basically the X-Men feel it is time some other group with powers gets persecuted.
Which is exactly my main contention with the Civil War storyline. The X-Men taking the war off this time around makes no sense. Absolutely none. This sort of issue is exactly what they'd be interested in helping to solve--it's a larger example of the regulation that they themselves fear. And I don't buy for a moment that they'd all decide as a group to take one side or the other, either. There'd be defections, at the very least.

I understand they're trying to find a reason to write them out of the storyline, but they should have sent them all into space or whatever to avoid these sorts of issues. It just makes no sense, and smacks of editorial decision overriding logical story and character progression.

That said, in most other ways, I'm really enjoying Civil War. It's a classic in the making for sure. And I like the Avengers getting the spotlight (no pun intended...) for a change, and the X-books not being included...I just wish they'd done a better job at giving us a reason why.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:59 PM   #29
bat_collector
Galactus

The x-men are in outers space. Astonishing group in the Breakworld and the uncanny group in Shi-ar space.

But then again I dont' know why daredevil (matt murdock) isn't part of the action either.

Teague, it looks like Bishop is the only defector with the mutants.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:28 PM   #30
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
The x-men are in outers space. Astonishing group in the Breakworld and the uncanny group in Shi-ar space.

But then again I dont' know why daredevil (matt murdock) isn't part of the action either.

Teague, it looks like Bishop is the only defector with the mutants.
That they are in space in their series is not the answer though. They were asked by both sides to participate and siad no to both sides. They then gave reasons. Obviously in their comics they are doing something at the same time, but that does not change the WHY as to their not being involved in the Civil War
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote