Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 01-11-2007, 10:16 AM   #1
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

wktf, Sam Wilson and the Dawgs comic reviews, 1/11/07

We are missing our Captain this week... I think Sammy mentions what he is up to below, but I gotta say when you are as hi-powered as Joe... how could Captain America and Tony Stark not be after him for top secret missions like the one he's on... He is enough of a trooper though to fight snow, aiports, and business to get us a stellar trade review this week. Thanks Captain Joe, for letting the SAM and I misbehave this week while you're gone...

Sam Wilson’s Reviews

This week is a slow week, so I thought about buying “52” since I haven’t picked it up since, issue one, and then I remembered it sucked crap. I also thought about the New X-men Omnibus, but then I remembered that dick Grant Morrison killed Jean Grey, again (asshole). Oh yeah, my pick of the week is Thunderbolts #110 because Warren Ellis is everything Grant Morrison wishes he was, and that being said, on to the reviews…

Batman Confidential #2
DC Comics
Written by: Andy Diggle
Drawn by: Whilce Portacio

Other than hardcore Batman fans, does anyone really care about a new Batman series? Given the creative team of “Batman Confidential” I would say I definitely care. Andy Diggle has slowly been building his reputation as the new “it” writer from the UK, with “Silent Dragon” from Wildstorm, “Swamp Thing” and “Adam Strange” for DC, and “Lady Constantine” and my personal favorite unsung comic of all time, “The Losers” from DC/Vertigo Andy has slowly been building his reputation as a rock solid writer with exciting dialogue and a Redbull fuelled, Steve McQueen in “Bullitt” take on the genre. Whilce Portacio is of course an old reliable, cutting his teeth in the early ‘90’s on “Uncanny X-men” and “Punisher”, and later on his own creator owned Wildstorm series “Wetworks”. Family issues have kept him out of the limelight for awhile, but now he is back and tackling the Dark Knight for the first time, and I have to say, looking good so far…

Our story opens like so many Batman stories before it: Batman takes out a thug after chasing him across a couple of rooftops, but this time is different, this thugs is suddenly vaporized by a laser beam. To add to the strangeness Bats believes the laser was meant for him and not the thug. Fast forward to a business meeting where Lex Luthor and Bruce Wayne are trying to outbid each other for a defense contract. This is the first meeting between the two of them, and Bruce impresses Lex with his business acumen. As they exit Bruce leaps into action and saves Luthor from a runaway dump-truck, which appears to have been flung by a Waynetech military robot, gone rogue. In issue two the Waynetech robot makes short work of Luthor’s bodyguards, and of Batman and then suddenly stops fighting and runs away. In the meantime Jim Gordon is investigating a death at Waynetech, one of the engineers who designed that robot had a heart attack under mysterious circumstances, and thus the mystery thickens…

As far as Bat-tales goes this one is pretty standard, yes this is an “early” tale with some background on Bruce and Lex, but it’s nothing special. Portacio’s art is tight, Andy Diggle paces the story very well, typical as it is it’s still pretty cool. I doubt any Bat-fans would find anything disappointing about “Batman Confidential”, I’ll be staying with this book for the near future at least.

Thunderbolts #110
Marvel Comics
Written by: Warren Ellis
Drawn by: Mike Deodato
Cover by: Marko Djurdjevic

A few years back most of the mainstream marvel superheroes disappeared and came back in really, really lame events called “Onslaught” and “Heroes” return. During this event, to take the place of the missing heroes a bunch of villains (formerly known as the Masters of Evil) banded together and formed a new superteam in hopes of, well, who knows. Led by the new Baron Zemo (the son of Baron Zemo) these reformed villains (including Moonstone and Songbird among others) in one-way shape or form managed to stay a team up until now. Presently, in the “Civil War” torn Marvel U the Thunderbolts came down on the registration side but always the villain, Baron Zemo tried to play both sides. It didn’t work out and he was betrayed by Songbird and sucked into some Vortex, possibly lost in time forever. At the end of “Civil War” #4 a new Thunderbolts appeared (consisting of Venom, Lady Deathstrike, Taskmaster, Bullseye, Jester and Jack-O-Lantern and Songbird), and this time they are just villains who are villains, no more pretending crap, and their mission is to keep unregistered super-beings in line. Granted a pardon by Tony Stark, the baddest of the bad in the Marvel U is out to get some much-wanted payback.

With Thunderbolt’s #110 the team has changed once again (the Punisher offed Jester and Jack-O-Lantern in “Civil War #5), with the roster now being Songbird, Venom, Bullseye, Green Goblin, Penance, Radioactive Man, Swordsman and Moonstone, with super-surprise guest leader/puppet master Norman Osborne. Yes, Norman Osborne has been granted amnesty by Tony Stark to put together a team of psychopaths that are introduced to us in wicked-cool “Usual Suspects” manner by Warren Ellis. Bullseye is a psycho, Moonstone rivals Emma Frost for ***** of the year and poor Jack Staff (see old issues of Captain America for more on him), even though he is not a member of the New Thunderbolts he’s about to get a hurtin’ put on him by them. Oy vey…

I was never a big fan of the previous incarnations of the T-bolts, but Warren Ellis has just shot a kitten and grabbed my attention. Bullseye is scary, Norman, well, he’s Norman. Desperation, fear, intimidation, the new T-bolts are pretty bad assed and Mike Deodato’s art is not to shabby either (waay better than his recent outing in the “New Avengers”). This book is definitely worth checking out.

Squadron Supreme: Hyperion Vs. Nighthawk #1 (of 4)
Marvel Comics
Written by: Marc Guggenheim
Drawn by: Paul Gulacy

For those of you who haven’t been paying attention, J. Michael Stracynski (JMS) has updated the classic Mark Gruewald 1985 series “Squadron Supreme” for the new millennium, titling his version “Supreme Power”. The characters are all there, just different, and nastier for the most part. Zarda is a crazy Amazon who’s penchant for killing is only outweighed by her obviously vast libido. Blur is still really fast but is young and black rather than the 30 something family man Gruewald’s Blur was. Hyperion is still “Superman”, more or less, but a Superman manipulated into service by our government and is now pissed beyond belief over his treatment. Nighthawk is “Batman”, but Batman if he was black and had a nastier temper and less regard for life and fairplay. So yes, the “yin” and “yan” of Batman and Superman taken to an extreme, obviously they would have to duke it out at some point, thus we are presented with “Hyperion Vs. Nighthawk”.

Our story opens with Hyperion beating the crap out of Nighthawk, Nighthawk broke into the Squad’s HQ for an unknown reason and thus suffers the consequences. Time passes and there is a rumor of an American mercenary in Dafur laying waste to both sides of a conflict that has resulted in nothing more than genocide and misery for the populace. Apparently innocent civilians have been killed, and the merc has sent a message back to the US, a piece of metal belonging to the ship Hyperion rode in on when he crash landed on Earth. This causes the US to send Hyperion to Dafur to investigate which leads to another conflict with Nighthawk, with unexpected results…

After reading this comic, the only words I had to describe it were, “kick ass”. I’ve always been a fan of Gulacy, and his style works with this book perfectly. Guggenheim’s story builds on JMS’s main story to give us a political tale set perfectly within the Squadron Supreme universe. Fans of Guggenheim and Squadron loyalists will not be disappointed by this new mini series, do not pass it up.

Ask a British Dude…

As a follow up to the Thunderbolts review, and to support our reoccurring theme of Warren Ellis love I felt it important to ask one of Ellis’s own countrymen to share with us his personal feelings on Ellis and give us some “across the pond” wit and wisdom as only my pal Jess Harrold can. So without further ado, let’s ask a British dude, “What will Warren Ellis bring to the Thunderbolts?”

It’s a big day to be a Warren Ellis fan, if, unlike him, you’re American. If, like him, you’re British, tomorrow will be a big day. Or make that yesterday and today if these reviews get posted on Thursday. And schedule that big day for some time in August if, like me, you get your comics mail order. But whatever day it happens, it’s big. After a year handling a ragtag bunch of alsorans to humorous effect (exploding m!”£$%^&*(ing boats on NextWave), a guest stint in the Ultimate Universe showing that a limited series there (or trilogy thereof) actually can be good, and a couple of issues making the New Universe, er, new again in NewUniversal, the House of Ideas has finally let him get his hands on some high-profile Marvel Universe characters for the first time in a few years. (I know he wrote a few issues of Iron-Man, all of which might actually have reached comic shops by now, but I’m desperately trying to forget them. Indulge me if you could…) Excuse me while I clear my voice for movie trailer guy impression. >ahem< Green Goblin. Venom. Bullseye. Songbird. Wait, scratch that last one… Yes it’s Newest Thunderbolts, technically the fourth incarnation for what has to be the most successful new team book introduced in the last 20 years. But what are longtime T-Bolts readers going to get from the new direction? In a word, ideas. Not that Fabian Nicieza was bereft of ideas. He had plenty, and over the last few years, he seemed to throw all of them at Thunderbolts in the hope that one or two of them would stick. What was probably well intended to be a nostalgic glimpse of a good old fashioned Marvel Universe turned, sadly, into a real mess, that would be a nightmare for new readers to pick up. Heck, by the end (some nonsense with Grandmaster and Zemo in which a whole bunch of people changed sides and kept secrets, just like they had been doing for the last 50 issues) it was nigh-impossible for this lifetime Marvel reader to follow despite owning every issue. Not only that, but you were left the real feeling that nothing ever written in T-Bolts would have the slightest impression on the wider Marvel Universe. But in fact, that isn’t the case. Some of Nicieza’s ideas, or at least his characters, have stuck. The aforementioned Songbird (who could do with a makeover, and maybe a return to ‘Screaming Mimi’), Radioactive Man (not the Homer Simpson lookalike), Moonstone (who has only just returned to the land of the conscious), and the latest Swordsman (I could explain who he is. Really, I could. With diagrams and everything. But you’d only kill me.) have all made the cut. And readers can expect Ellis to get straight inside their heads, and give them something new, something fresh to do. Even in NextWave, largely a humour book, and only borderline in continuity, Ellis develops strong personalities grounded in their Marvel Universe history, but takes them someplace… else. Mining the Silver Age, he even made Not Brand Echh in-continuity (ish…) with Charlie America, the Inedible Bulk and a searing insight into the mind of none other than Forbush Man. In NewUniversal, he is looking to perform the same trick, making sense of an entire failed universe. Even in Extremis (Damn! Remembered it!) he had plenty of ideas, albeit with Tony Stark he threw too much of the billionaire out with the bathwater in his reckless disregard for what came before. In Thunderbolts, he will doubtless be more constrained. With these characters, the mystery character Penance (not such a mystery if you’ve been paying attention to the MU in the last year, or read the spoilers on Newsarama) and the high-profile ‘movie star’ members he is adding to the mix, he has bucketloads of continuity to deal with. But with Ellis’s self-confessed distaste for superheroes, expect him to use his characters’ Marvel Universe ties to wreak havoc for the great and the good with his team of maniacs. It could be brilliant. It could all go horribly wrong. But one thing readers won’t get with Ellis is something they feel like they have read before. And after issue after issue of De Ja Vu Thunderbolts, that will be a welcome relief. Whenever I get to read it.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:17 AM   #2
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Kdawg’s Reviews

This week is also a slow week for me. Not too much on the stands or in my pull that I picked up, but my esteemed vato Sammy raises and interesting point or two…

1.) Many folks seem to like 52 but myself?… I have looked at the covers while moving on to the next book on the rack. It doesn’t interest me and if you asked me what it was about, I couldn’t tell you, and since you just asked me a question, it’s only fair that I ask one in return? Will anyone care in a year? Moving on….

2.) This one I wanted to take some serious time to editorialize on. Grant Morrison… I know there has been a bit of debate around here lately about whether or not he’s a good writer blah blah… I have nothing but hate bombs for the guy’s writing…

Did you hear that sound? … Yep it was a cannon firing my first hate bomb down… How dare he come into the already messed up X-Universe and destroy what every one of us here… especially me… holds so dear… JEAN GREY! We went through enough crap the first time they brought her back and he just went ahead and killed her again, further making one of the strongest female characters in the Marvel U a joke. Just like that… snap of the fingers Jeanie is dead again…What do we get in return? Beak? Xorn? Forgive me if I don’t wet myself with excitement. I sit back and wait for the day they finally bring her back again, hoping that it actually does happen. Obviously this cat didn’t give a rip when he killed her off on a whim.

What else did Morrison give us? Oh yes a completely ridiculous Beast… “Hey Frank Quietly… I just watched Disney’s Beauty and the Beast… wouldn’t it be fun to make Hank McCoy look like that? My niece will love it…”

Morrison is a @*%!* … Oh what else? Batman… “yeah Bats you got a kid from Talia, who would have killed Robin if the editor’s would have let me.”

So I didn’t mind his last Batman arc at all… but I will never ever forget what he did to the X-men… Your writing is worthy of hate Mr. Morrison… Go create your own universe, so you can kill your own characters you ass…

Whew… sorry about that guys… I know some of you like him and that’s cool…me… on to my reviews…

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #16
Marvel Comics
Written by: Peter David
Drawn by: Scott Eaton

Deborah Whitman has written a book about her relationship she once had with Peter Parker. She has been given a huge chunk of money from the Daily Bugle for the story. Of course the Daily Bugle has altered much of the story so that it can paint Spider-Man in a negative light. This doesn’t sit easy with Deborah, but she needs the money and plays along. She has a book signing which will set the stage for people in Spidey’s life to come calling. Flash Tompson, Betty Brant, Ms. Arrow, and yes even a good old rogue in the Vulture. Oh did I mention of course Spidey is there trying to figure out why Deb would print lies as well?

We left off with Spidey and Vulture locked in combat and Spidey falling to his doom while unconscious.

Spidey obviously wakes up and saves himself and gets right back into the fray only to see that the Vulture has himself had a stroke and is helpless.

You gotta love Spider-Man… You try to kill him and yet when you are hurt he still does the right thing and rushes you to the hospital.

The best part of this book is when the Vulture finds out he has had a stroke and is incapacitated and asks the orderly watching him to kill him. The Vulture cannot live if he is to be weak. The orderly is revealed to be Spider-Man using an image inducer that Hank McCoy gave him a while back. Pete grabs a pillow and looks to have snapped and is holding a pillow over the Vultures face to suffocate him. The Vulture fights for his life and Pete pulls the pillow away making the point “You fight pretty hard for someone who wants to die.”

That right there blew my mind and Peter David has given us a side of Spidey we haven’t seen before. That was very “Wolverine” of Peter to make a point with actions and not words and I liked it a lot.

Spidey can never get enough love in our reviews…. But I can say this… with all that is happening in Civil War and in the coming year… He will…

Peter David… WORD! My pick of the week….

Batman #662
DC Comics
Written by: John Ostrander
Drawn by: Tom Mandrake

Morrison returns next issue (oh well) with a “gruesome Joker story” while Ostrander and Mandrake have been bringing us a little past and a little future this issue. We get to see a fond personal favorite part of the Batverse this issue. In fact the mystery surrounding this story in fact starts and ends with Leslie Tompkins clinic and a doctor there that we see that Bruce Wayne used to date... Amina Franklin. Apparently some goons are after her for money owed by her dead brother. Who’s not really dead but instead running around wiping people out.

That's a bad career choice in my opinion as you know that Bats will dole out some of Mamma WKTF's ass whuppin' on him. Grotesk is slicing part of each of his victims faces off sewing it onto his mask then torching the rest.

The best part about this story is the art. I thought it jumped off to a great start. It was good but ultimately we knew where it would go and that it was just a fill in arc.

I think what it delivered the most on was a chance to showcase Tom Mandrake’s art. Heavy, heavy blacks against the falling white snow in Gotham only broken up by the occasional blues of Batman’s cape and the orange flames from Grotesks weapon.

Batman has basically solved the mystery. He knows that Grotesk is Amina’s brother and that he faked his own death because of the men who were after him, his invention, and everything else.

Amina has been covering for him and now Batman just needs to figure Amina’s motivations out as well as bring Grotesk to his final justice.

The story wraps up nice. The art is fantastic and it was very good for a fill-in arc.

Wktf’s tpb review

Even though our captain Joe is out dealing with the events of “Civil War” and leading a resistance movement against superhuman registration, he still found time to write a trade paperback review of a classic Cap tale. Word, check it out…

Captain America & The Falcon: Secret Empire
Marvel Comics
Written by: Steve Englehart & Mike Friedrich
Drawn by: Sal Buscema

1974 was a pretty turbulent year in the United States. After heated social rancor over the Vietnam War, American troops began leaving that country in 1973 and by 1974 were completely withdrawn. The war, itself, ended the following year. The foul taste in the country’s mouth over that conflict was worsened by the Watergate scandal which really began in 1972 following the break-in at the Watergate Hotel. Even though Nixon had been re-elected in 1973, by 1974 the nation was completely consumed by Watergate, public sentiment was set firmly against the President whom the nation had just put back in office and, in August of that year, Nixon resigned. It was a time of tremendous anger and cynicism about the way our country and its leaders were behaving. I was in high school at the time and I clearly remember my father, who taught political science at a prestigious private liberal arts college, routinely expressing his disgust.

Comics often have shined as a reflection of social sentiment and culture. The famous Dennis O’Neil and Neal Adams Green Lantern/Green Arrow run explored bigotry, anti-establishment sentiment and drug abuse. The also famous Amazing Spider-Man #96-98 gave us Harry Osborn, Peter’s best friend and roommate, deep into drugs due to the neglect of his father, the man he sought only to please. And, in the pages of Captain America & The Falcon the sentinel of liberty became a reflection of the disillusioned and bitter American public of 1974. To set the stage, before this story began, Cap had been in a battle with The Viper and the Serpent Squad and, through the combination of The Viper’s venom and his own super soldier serum, Cap had gained limited super strength. Not up to the level of The Sub-Mariner or The Thing, but super nonetheless. The Falcon, who’d been living in Cap’s shadow anyway, now felt more like a fifth wheel than ever. Tensions between him and Cap were building. Disgusted with his habit of being saved too many times by Cap, The Falcon’s temper begins to flare at his partner and friend. Courtesy of Cap’s Avengers contacts, Sam and his hot headed girlfriend Leila hook up with The Black Panther to see if T’Challa can give Sam a power boost to make him a more equal superhero partner. Yep, this story is the one where The Falcon first gets his wings and goes into battle along side The Black Panther before returning to Cap’s side.

But the main thrust of this book is all about what’s happening to Cap while The Falcon is away. An organization that calls itself The Committee to Regain America’s Principles has organized a public relations smear campaign again Cap. Through TV and print campaigns, they accuse him of being a brutal, ruthless vigilante who strikes out at others based on his own agenda rather than that of America. Public opinion of Cap begins to turn and Cap’s frustration comes from the combination of lies told about him and that public opinion is something he can’t combat with his fists. It only gets worse when The Committee instigates a battle between Cap and the Tumbler, arrange for the villain to be killed in battle, and for his death to be blamed on Cap. With all the negative press and The Tumbler’s death, the public squarely moves against Cap who finds himself locking horns with the ultra-powerful first Moonstone (not the more famous female version), The Committee’s super puppet with whom they are conspiring to frame and replace Cap in the American mind. As Cap becomes more discouraged and finds he must turn from the law that’s pursuing him, he discovers The Committee actually is a front for a group called the Secret Empire whose designs are no less than the overthrowing of the United States government. Cap is on a desperate mission to clear his own name and save the country whose flag he wears but who no longer trusts him AND from whom he’s actually on the run. His anger, frustration and dejection come to a head, as does this story, as he discovers the Secret Empire’s impossible ties to the very highest office in our country.

This trade represents a watershed period in the Captain America canon. Not only does The Falcon gain his wings here but Cap famously renounces his mantle, deciding that he and the American ideal for which he fights are out of place with the reality of 1974 America, with its self centered populace and self motivated leaders. Cap’s anger and dejection reflected the feelings of a large segment of actual Americans at that time. And, while it’s never stated explicitly, it seems to me that the leader of the Secret Empire is supposed to represent Richard Nixon who, frankly, committed political suicide while in office. In addition to its social relevance and a critical inflection point in Cap’s career, this story features some great guest stars including The Black Panther, Nick Fury, Banshee, The X-Men (before Len Wein, Chris Claremont and Dave ****_rum reinvented them) and various members of The Mighty Avengers such as Thor, Iron Man and The Vision. There’s even a great early retelling of Cap’s origin and career high points. So, sure, this story is an absolute classic that should be part of every Captain America fan’s collection. And I can tell you I remember, when I was in high school and first read these stories as a teenager I was on the edge of my seat every month waiting for the next issue to come out (Captain America, of all heroes, a man without a country!). But how does it stand up over 30 years later?

Steve Englehart (Captain America, The Avengers, Detective Comics…side note: I was watching the second episode of The Batman cartoon and caught that Ethan and Detective Yin called for back up at the corner of Englehart and Marshall) is right up there with Roger Stern (Amazing Spider-Man), Chris Claremont (X-Men), Roy Thomas (Fantastic Four, Conan the Barbarian) and Dave Michelinie (Iron Man) as one of the greatest Marvel comic book writers of the 1970s bronze age. Sal Buscema also did huge runs on Captain America, The Defenders, The Incredible Hulk, Spectacular Spider-Man and Marvel Team-Up. This creative team is a 1970s dream team. That said, the art’s in fine Sal Buscema form, though it suffers from Vince Colletta’s terrible inks. Some of the writing, though, feels forced and even embarrassingly hokey. Cap’s tortured thoughts got to be a bit repetitive and I especially found myself wincing at the way Englehart wrote what was supposed to be Sam and Leila’s black street dialogue. Plus, the repeated battles with Moonstone, frankly, repeated more than they should have.

In summary, this is a high concept book that’s a refection of the historic period in which it was created and highlights a famous and pivotal point in Cap’s career. It starts strong, finishes stronger, but misses some steps in the execution along the way. Do I still recommend it? Yes, I do. I also recommend the recently released trade that continues this story, Captain America & The Falcon: Nomad, which I’ll be reviewing next week.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wilson View Post
Warren Ellis is everything Grant Morrison wishes he was.
This is my new favourite sentence in the English language.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:54 AM   #4
whd
Suicide Squad

Nice work on the reviews, guys! I disagree with both of you about the quality of 52, since I look forward to it every week, as opposed to the last weekly comic I read, which was the first Chuck Austen War Machine series that always looked like it had been written and drawn during the previous week.

I really liked the new Thunderbolts, but I will miss the old Thunderbolts, which I enjoyed right up until the end.

I also enjoyed the new 'Ask a Brit' segment, but I was only able to understand about half of it due to the accent.

Grant Morrisson let Animal Man die, so he deserves all the bashing he gets.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:55 AM   #5
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Ellis... Hunter/Killer... Samantha Argent.... yeah buddy!
Old 01-11-2007, 10:58 AM   #6
bat_collector
Galactus

Ok, I'm taking the bait

All right guys, even I don't wake up with so much hate in the morning. The dawg/sam tag team (I can already seem them in WWF's Legion of Doom gear) is in full effect today!

But, I've been caught in a good mood, so I'll take it easy on you two.

Ok, so 52, nobody will care in a year right? I'd take that a bit better if some weren't championing scholck like the Civil War one shots as noteworthy comics. Is anyone gonna remember that stupid Kingpin iss two months from now? Doubt it. Heck, even Illumnati is gonna be some blip on the radar.

As for 52, the most harsh criticism comes from people who admitted they picked up one or two issues. You guys got no idea what it is all about. If nothing else, at least respect that DC managed to do something miraculous in this day in age, no delays through 36 issues.

AS for my boy Grant Morrison, the guy rocks and is one of my favorite writers in comics. Warren Ellis is filled with sci-fi techno-babble that make many of the comics I read of his (exception: thunderbots) not as great as I would expect. Case in point, Black Gas and Ocean. Black Gas is a decent zombie read, but honestly I had more fun with Savage Brothers, and that's saying a lot. Ocean, a mess, a unmemorable mess. And his Extremis storyline? I think JDH stated it better than I could.

As for Morrison, give the guy a break. Beast, the guy already went from human to blue haired beast. Is it that much of an imagination twist to think he couldn't change again? And the character development that went with it was great. Morrison leaves his comics with a wealth of ideas to mine (like whedon has used for Astonishing) for latter writers. And personally I'd take some of his sevel soldiers stories as proof positive the guy can write.

End of rant

PS, thunderbolts indeed rocked!
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:10 AM   #7
whd
Suicide Squad

I haven't read Black Gas or Extremis, but I thought Ocean was a really good read. My only disappointment with it was how short it was.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:20 AM   #8
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Good rant indeed Mike... So If Sammy and I are the legion of doom who is who?

Look... it's not like I can't respect some of the stuff Morrison has done... but you just do not not not not mess with Jean Grey. How is killing her again anywhere close to original?

I won't even acknowledge your reverse bait on "schlock"...

We're marvel nuts and you like DC... we are not gonna agree on much my man...
Old 01-11-2007, 11:36 AM   #9
ickwinzs
The Rock
Adamantium Plus Member

Warren Ellis is awesome!! Have any of you guys read his Fell series, its worth the cover price and more!
Old 01-11-2007, 11:54 AM   #10
bat_collector
Galactus

maybe legion of doom wasn't right. I mean I never could tell them apart anyway.

Ok, and I love fell!

bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote