Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Leave it to the Professionals Please > The Shifletts

Old 09-15-2009, 01:43 AM   #1
shiflettbrothers
Sculptor
Sculptor

The New Giants

these are a couple of acromegaly studies we've been working on to go with the barbarian from comic-con. in my mind I think they are probably a young Oled , Laup and Motsn Iva from the Easter Island Giant piece that did not come out. more pics coming later . thanks for looking

jarrod
[signature]www.shiflettbrothers.com[/signature]
shiflettbrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:49 AM   #2
Averone
Kindly Asked To Leave

Oh wow!

Very nice!
Averone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

You fellas have tapped into some genetic morsel of DNA from the 1800's. I can't explain it any better than to say there is life in the work that not only extends beyond the looseness of the pieces, but actually thrives on the imperfections and textures.

The guy on the right is especially keen and lively and his physique reminds me of Andre the Giant. You need to finish his legs.

If I were a collector of other artist's work, I would own many Shifflett bronzes, inlcuding these guys.
William Paquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I like it, and I think Mr. Paquet hit the nail on the head with his Andre the giant comparison.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #5
shiflettbrothers
Sculptor
Sculptor

Big Will!

Yes Andre was the original photo I was going from , also some Richard Kiel who was Jaws in the bond films . Andre's face really kept changing over the years, I love when he was Bigfoot in the 6Million Dollar Man.

this is so awesome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JktcQ2A32cU

j
Old 09-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

I actually think this would be nice essentially left as is and perhaps cast in bronze or resin with faux bronze. Not everything needs to be refined, sanded and painted. The rawness of the piece is actually a strength.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
shiflettbrothers
Sculptor
Sculptor

A gang of giants have banded together to save some bears while bad dudes get bonked hard in the face.

I've always liked giants and one night recently I went kind of google/acromegaly nuts and these studies are the result, they need more weapons but I'm just trying to get the different body types kind of resolved at this point. thanks for looking

j

Old 11-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
shiflettbrothers
Sculptor
Sculptor

Old 11-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #9
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Paquet View Post
You fellas have tapped into some genetic morsel of DNA from the 1800's. I can't explain it any better than to say there is life in the work that not only extends beyond the looseness of the pieces, but actually thrives on the imperfections and textures.

The guy on the right is especially keen and lively and his physique reminds me of Andre the Giant. You need to finish his legs.

If I were a collector of other artist's work, I would own many Shifflett bronzes, inlcuding these guys.
A very astute observation, sir! Only an artist can appreciate it and point it out accurately like how you did.
derekrodneysim is offline   Reply With Quote